Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 466 through 478 (of 478 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

That’s true about the vote split last year. Kinda forgot about that.

Rachel (I think?) mentioned in the other reactions thread that the Guest categories are more likely to be name-checks than the other awards. And I think that’s a fair point. So, I’m not sure how much to read into them re: Maisel and Borstein. The fact that Lynch couldn’t get an upgrade to Supporting nom this year after winning Guest last year (especially since comedy is supposedly weaker this year) is an interesting test of TMM’s strength, though.

I’d also love a new winner.

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

Rachel (I think?) mentioned in the other reactions thread that the Guest categories are more likely to be name-checks than the other awards. And I think that’s a fair point.

That actually makes sense! In the minds of voters, they probably don’t feel that guest acting categories are that significant, resulting in name-checks and very little actual thinking. But, I’m guessing that they actually take their time with the main acting categories since we have had some inspired wins recently like PWB beating JLD just last year, Jodie Comer’s win, and even Tony Shalhoub’s first win was last year as well (even if it didn’t feel like his first win for some reason).

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I think an Yvonne Orji win makes a certain sense. Still on the fence about if I want to predict her.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

If I put a super bet on something does that increase my winnings nonetheless on here or only if the thing I’ve predicted to win has won?

Only if it wins.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Last 30 years, multiple Series nominations, zero wins in any category:

Good Place

Kimmy Schmidt

Parks and Recreation

Poor NBC/ex-NBC trio. Though I suppose Whenever You’re Ready is a possibility.

Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I switched writing from SC to TGP. I’m hesitant to put too much weight on the results of certain tech awards, but SC is double nominated here, and they failed to overcome the vote split in editing last night. So I’m worried that they won’t have enough passion to overcome the vote split in writing either. Also, since the new voting system, no double-nom’d comedy has ever won writing. Schur already has an Emmy, and TGP finale was pretty well-received.

I also switched directing from TMM to SC. I don’t really have a good reason here other than, again, I don’t know if TMM can overcome a vote split. And I kind of feel like SC should win writing or directing if they are really the front-runners for series. (Veep won without it, but they were a bigger show). And to be honest, after last night, Insecure probably would have won directing if they had submitted fewer episodes during the nomination round.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I switched writing from SC to TGP. I’m hesitant to put too much weight on the results of certain tech awards, but SC is double nominated here, and they failed to overcome the vote split in editing last night. So I’m worried that they won’t have enough passion to overcome the vote split in writing either. Also, since the new voting system, no double-nom’d comedy has ever won writing. Schur already has an Emmy, and TGP finale was pretty well-received. I also switched directing from TMM to SC. I don’t really have a good reason here other than, again, I don’t know if TMM can overcome a vote split. And I kind of feel like SC should win writing or directing if they are really the front-runners for series. (Veep won without it, but they were a bigger show). And to be honest, after last night, Insecure probably would have won directing if they had submitted fewer episodes during the nomination round.

Totally agree with you. I have a feeling Schitt’s is going to win Directing (Maisel could but if it was it would signify to me that it was as close as it was to winning Series in 2019, I’m conflicted about Ramy, The Great seems to be a non factor in Directing to me and Will and Grace couldn’t even win multi-cam awards for one of the most acclaimed Comedy episodes of any show this season). And with Writing I feel a bit pessimistic about Schitt’s chances considering how “Start Spreading the News” is an episode that would be less prone to a vote split than “The Presidential Suite”.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

I am not predicting Will & Grace for Directing, but it would make a wonderful winner.

Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I agree with your thoughts except what song are you talking about from “The Presidential Suite?” “A Little Bit Alexis?” That song was from season five.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree with your thoughts except what song are you talking about from “The Presidential Suite?” “A Little Bit Alexis?” That song was from season five.

Oops.

Sorry I binged watched all of Schitt’s Creek one episode after the other during the lockdown so I must have gotten the episodes mixed up (I do that often when bingeing sitcoms so quickly)!

And yes I have seen season 6 as unlike in the States we have it on Netflix in the UK.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

I know it’s crazy but I have thought of the possibility of Sterling K. Brown snatching Comedy Supporting Actor…

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I’m gonna let Happy Ending in Directing be my last minute switch. Surely it doesn’t win here without a Writing win too since it’s much more deserving in the latter, but we’ll see what happens. I’m really wondering whether it’s strong enough in either.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So lots of publications have switched from Borstein to Orji at the last day in their predictions or said she is Borstein’s spoiler and not Murphy or Carden…

Viewing 13 posts - 466 through 478 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.