Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 254 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Forgot to mention, but for months now I kept stating that directing winners for comedy and drama either go to names or the series that wins writing, which is why I was so steadfast in keeping Succession in directing from nomination day (albeit the wrong episode). The stat was proved again this year, and even doubled down on the comedy side. Going off that, do you think Succession was 1 + 2 in directing? I’m going to assume yes, because The Crown clearly had a choice episode in Aberfan, and having not seen Ozark, it is my understanding that Fire Pink was the clear choice there too. Meanwhile, I don’t think there’s a clear consensus choice between Hunting and This is Not for Tears (especially considering one has a description with “series finale” and the other has “boar on the floor”).

You weren’t the only one to say that directing in drama and comedy often goes with writing if a show wins Series 🙂 Although to be fair I overthought everything at the last minute and predicted The Good Place to win Writing and Schitt’s Creek to win Directing lol.

I thought that Hunting and This is Not For Tears were number one and two just before the predictions centre closed because after seeing Succession win Editing it became clear to me that in a lot of categories where it had multiple nominees (apart from Supporting Actor) it was top 2. Also because people were underestimating Andrij Parekh. I’m sure directors knew he worked on both Watchmen and Succession this year which could have played a part in him winning, boar on the floor was a pop cultural moment and several publications were predicting it (plus its the better directed episode).

This being said I had Hunting in no. 2 and This is Not For Tears in no. 1 at the end.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Billy Porter having his Emmy & Grammy on full display is the biggest ****ing flex and I love him for it.

Billy1

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

Billy Porter having his Emmy & Grammy on full display is the biggest ****ing flex and I love him for it. Billy1

It’s not in this picture but he also had his Tony Award next to his Grammy lol what a KING. Outfit on point and he looked both unbothered when he didn’t win and truly happy for Jeremy Strong

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lol when they randomly cut to him when Jen came to present.

Also why is no one talking about how problematic Jimmy Kimmel joking that he’s going to call ICE on John Oliver is? Kerry Washington should have responded with “no we don’t want that thank you”.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Billy Porter having his Emmy & Grammy on full display is the biggest ****ing flex and I love him for it. Billy1

LOL I live for Billy being extra.

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

Random thought but who do we think was the runner up to Zendaya for Lead Actress? I don’t know if knowing that Laura Linney was potentially 2nd would make me feel better or worse (Regardless, Zendaya’s win was both deserving and groundbreaking and a highlight of the night)

Also, I feel pretty confident in saying that Brian Cox was probably the runner up for Lead Actor.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I highly doubt Braun was the one that bumped Pelphrey out. I think it was either Duplass, Wright or Esposito. I LOVED Pelphrey’s performance and he shouldve won but this hate towards Braun is getting annoying. After those nominations is more than obvious Braun was always getting in, not to mention Greg is literally the most likable character and one of the most popular ones. Lets just move on and let Braun enjoy this incredible moment.

Yeah Nicholas Braun is rightfully getting called out for his undeserving nomination. If that same performance was on any other show, it would never get nominated, he is just lucky he was on Succession and it’s literally the definition of a cotail nomination.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

If Braun gave that same performance on THT, he’d be called the worst nominee of the year. I completely agree with the post above mine.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Yeah Nicholas Braun is rightfully getting called out for his undeserving nomination. If that same performance was on any other show, it would never get nominated, he is just lucky he was on Succession and it’s literally the definition of a cotail nomination.

It’s not his fault though, it’s just absurd that there are actually voters choosing him over actors like Pelphrey.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

If Braun gave the same performance on Better Call Saul, he would not be the worst nominee in the category from his show.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

If Braun gave the same performance on Better Call Saul, he would not be the worst nominee in the category from his show.

I gasped. The shade😂

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

It’s not fair to blame other nominees for Pelphrey’s snub. Even though Braun was one of the worst nominees this year, it’s the voters’ fault for voting for him, not his. Same with every name-check.

Pelphrey didn’t get in either because not enough actors watched the season or because he lacked name recognition. Based on the hype for him around here, I don’t see how voters would snub him if they’ve seen the season.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Oh, it’s 100% on voters, without a doubt. Or, you know what, let me rephrase that: it’s on this ridiculous voting system. They should not have unlimited slots on their nominating ballots! It’s ridiculous! Please get rid of this! Too much show- and namechecking.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Nicholas Braun’s nomination is fine and deserved. A classic scene-stealer! Another nomination that was obvious, but let me stop being obnoxious.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Oh, it’s 100% on voters, without a doubt. Or, you know what, let me rephrase that: it’s on this ridiculous voting system. They should not have unlimited slots on their nominating ballots! It’s ridiculous! Please get rid of this! Too much show- and namechecking.

THIS! They really need to change this unlimited voting nonsense.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 254 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.