Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 241 through 254 (of 254 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Linney and Oh only win an Emmy for their performances if their shows sweep for their final seasons (which looks more likely in Linney’s case than Oh’s despite both seeming unlikely).

Aniston probably is winning for her second season and Colman (unless we get serious competition) is probably winning next year considering how her the competition of new shows seem to be non-existent.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think it’s way too soon to make any predictions as such. Or did anyone think Zendaya would win an Emmy a year ago? I don’t think so.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I truly believe what hurt Linney the most is she had no narrative, there was no rush to give her a fifth emmy right now especially against her competition. Therefore, I believe she won’t be competitive until the last part of Ozark, she isn’t winning for 4A, imo.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think it’s way too soon to make any predictions as such. Or did anyone think Zendaya would win an Emmy a year ago? I don’t think so.

It was a more wish-dicting than predicting but a few people did last year.

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/television/emmys-super-early-predictions-for-2020-part-3/page/30/

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yup, precisely that. It’s what I said in our Emmy pre-show! Everyone, sans Jodie, had some kind of outside narrative that could have helped them, while Laura became the frontrunner because of her performance only. Unfortunately, you need more than just that. Voters either reward you early on, at the end, or not at all. That’s a new trend I have seen (for which there are, of course, exceptions).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think Zendaya had a narrative. Unless you’re thinking the narrative is the shock of how she managed to break the stereotypes around her acting and the snobbery with her performance (which can also be applied to Aniston as well).

On a separate note whilst I know no one (apart from the accountants) know who came second but I really think it was Aniston and not Linney who was second. To me the fact that Crudup benefitted from a Succession vote split is the equivalent of Maria Schrader benefitting from a Watchmen vote split showing Unorthodox was second in Series.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Zendaya had the breakthrough glow and the surprise factor (just like Jodie last year).

Profile picture
    Synthadora
    Topics:

Also when it came to nominees she had the biggest support from fellow actors online when announced.

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

All of those shows that tried to dodge the hurricane that was Game of Thrones last year ended up flopping even harder this year. It’s so funny to me. Like… Duffer Brother 1 and Duffer Brother 2, ya’ll could’ve just gave us the season, dodged the tsunami that was Succession this year, compete next year when it’s a bit less competitive for your fourth season. They may not have won much but they probably wouldn’t have lost so much ground in nominations. Same goes for at least one of The Handmaid‘s Tale, Big Little Lies, The Crown etc.

I mean, I don’t blame them for trying to strategize and avoid GOT to have a better chance at winning. No one expected the last season of GOT to drop in quality so much and crash and burn with that finale as much as it did. Plus, no one would’ve also expected Succession’s meteoric rise (I’m actually kinda surprised it won as much as it did in the end, considering it literally aired more than a year ago).

Like you said, they all probably would have benefitted from just releasing their seasons instead of holding onto them just to avoid GOT but it’s something we can say in hindsight. (honestly, most things can be said in hindsight so it might seem “obvious” but you never really know)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Zendaya had the breakthrough glow and the surprise factor (just like Jodie last year).

Also when it came to nominees she had the biggest support from fellow actors online when announced.

I agree but I wouldn’t say it was a narrative. Or if it was then I would say all the winners since Viola (including Jodie and Tatiana) had a narrative.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I agree but I wouldn’t say it was a narrative. Or if it was then I would say all the winners since Viola (including Jodie and Tatiana) had a narrative.

And I would agree.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And I would agree.

Yeah sorry I was just clarifying.

The question for next year is if Olivia gets a final season narrative in the same way Foy did. Because then I think the race is more or less over if Aniston and Linney are also not returning (as Zendaya, Comer and Oh already aren’t as we know).

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

This description that comes up when I google Succession I- 💀

Who wrote this mess??

rubbish

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

Logan family? messsss

Viewing 14 posts - 241 through 254 (of 254 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.