Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 254 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Julia Garner better get a huge raise. She’s the only reason Ozark didn’t beat Mad Men’s record for most losses.

She’s also the only reason why Netflix didn’t get shut out in acting (if we exclude Maya’s voice acting win here) for the first time since 2013 (season 1 of House of Cards).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

How dare you make the comparison and jinx her! I’m jk. I worry this is the case. But then does that mean Cox and Strong will be winning forever and ever. I don’t mind that 👀

Speaking of Cox, I do wonder if he will ever be able to win. I feel like, over the years, there have been fewer and fewer Emmys awarded to those who play unlikable characters. In fact, I’d argue that most if not all the actors who won this year in particular played a character that was at least a little bit likable/redeemable or charming. I could be totally wrong (and please correct me if this sounds completely false) but it’s just a general feeling.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Two-time Emmy winner Julia Garner. The sound of that really does make me smile.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Speaking of Cox, I do wonder if he will ever be able to win. I feel like, over the years, there have been fewer and fewer Emmys awarded to those who play unlikable characters. In fact, I’d argue that most if not all the actors who won this year in particular played a character that was at least a little bit likable/redeemable or charming. I could be totally wrong (and please correct me if this sounds completely false) but it’s just a general feeling.

Well Brian Cranston won four for playing an unlikable character in the same category, so Cox can definitely win. I’ve got a feeling that there might be a lot of push for him next time as I feel like fans of the show want both leading men to get a win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well Brian Cranston won four for playing an unlikable character in the same category, so Cox can definitely win. I’ve got a feeling that there might be a lot of push for him next time as I feel like fans of the show want both leading men to get a win.

And I mean the TV Academy awarded Ann Dowd for an unsympathetic portrayal of an evangelical in the first season of The Handmaid’s Tale and Alexander Skarsgard for playing a wife beater.

Cox (and Snook) can win eventually. Whether Culkin or Macfadyen ever do I don’t know. Depends on if this vote split was a one off à la the split between Dinklage and Harrington or if this will always happen (which as none of us can see into the future can’t say!)

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

And I mean the TV Academy awarded Ann Dowd for an unsympathetic portrayal of an evangelical in the first season of The Handmaid’s Tale and Alexander Skarsgard for playing a wife beater. Cox (and Snook) can win eventually. Whether Culkin or Macfadyen ever do I don’t know. Depends on if this vote split was a one off à la the split between Dinklage and Harrington or if this will always happen (which as none of us can see into the future can’t say!)

To be fair, the Dinklage vs Harington vote split was name vs performance while the Culkin vs Macfadyen vote split was performance vs performance.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Poor Culkin and MacFayden. I highly doubt they will ever be able to overcome that vote-split in the SA category. I see them both getting nominated until the end.

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

Poor Culkin and MacFayden. I highly doubt they will ever be able to overcome that vote-split in the SA category. I see them both getting nominated until the end.

Like how Season 1 was Kendall’s and Season 2 was Shiv’s season (based on the main title opening and main plot points), Season 3 will probably be more Roman-centric so I think that season could actually be Kieran’s best chance to get a win if he has enough material compared to Matthew.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Emmy winner Sarah Snook sounds better to me.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I’m personally wondering if they’ll campaign her as a lead next season. They did so for the first even though most would agree she was definitely supporting that year, and they were originally pushing her there for the second. I always figured they put her in supporting just to make the nomination easier, but given how successful they were with actors, I get the feeling they might put her back into lead moving forward.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I absolutely love Julia and she was incredibly deserving of a repeat but in a way I kind of will be disappointed if she becomes the new JLD or Dinklage in this category. I mean she deserves more Emmys but it was bad enough that Dinklage had won so many times over people who will no longer have a chance for their performances and it’s not like Supporting Actor is the most competitive performance where almost everyone is just as deserving like Supporting Actress in a Drama Series is.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

but given how successful they were with actors, I get the feeling they might put her back into lead moving forward.

Alison Janney/Emilia Clarke teas.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Well one is fiction and the other is reality.😉

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well one is fiction and the other is reality.😉

I distinctly remember you saying that Succession getting 7 acting nominations would not happen and it was just being touted because people on here were biased so…

…congratulations on your upcoming Emmy win Sarah Snook!

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Alison Janney/Emilia Clarke teas.

To be fair, Janney is different in that the reason she most likely went lead was because of her show’s lack of success with actors. Once she finally lost, they must’ve figured she wouldn’t win again, so why not go for a lead nod when Farris was never gonna get one.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 254 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Categories: Reactions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.