Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 513 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Keep discussing in Part 3.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Continuing on from the previous conversation I think the acting branch did watch The Handmaid’s TaleBig Little Lies and Stranger Things but considering they aired so long ago and aired lesser acclaimed seasons than their previous outings I think voters just developed a negative opinion of the quality of the show’s seasons and voted for what they saw as memorable highlights (i.e. Streep and Dern, Whitford).

I can’t explain why they voted for Wiley and not Strahovski or Moss though.

Anyway my current winner predictions :

DRAMA SERIES

ACTOR

ACTRESS

S. ACTOR

S. ACTRESS

G. ACTOR

G. ACTRESS

WRITING

DIRECTING

CASTING

CINEMATOGRAPHY (HALF-HOUR)

CINEMATOGRAPHY (HOUR)

FANTASY/SCI-FI COSTUMES

CONTEMPORARY COSTUMES

HAIRSTYLING

MAIN TITLE DESIGN

PROSTHETIC MAKE-UP

MUSIC COMPOSITION

MUSIC SUPERVISION

MUSIC AND LYRICS

EDITING

PRODUCTION DESIGN (CONTEMPORARY)

PRODUCTION DESIGN (HALF-HOUR)

SOUND EDITING (HOUR)

SOUND EDITING (HALF-HOUR)

SOUND MIXING 

SOUND MIXING (HALF-HOUR)

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

STUNTS

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I don’t think Stranger Things is going back to winning 5 awards when it won a single one last time.

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

I still can’t believe they snubbed Ramin Djawadi and Tom Pelphrey. I can’t even do my predictions because I’m still processing the Pelphrey snub.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Isn’t Carell only on TMS for one season? Otherwise I’d be inclined to agree as that is what they did with Corey Stoll for the first season of House of Cards.

Last time they talked about it they said they want him to return, maybe his placement in lead shows that he will: “ Ellenberg also said they’re still “exploring” Steve Carell’s contract for Season 2. The actor, who played a prominent supporting role in Season 1, was only signed for one season, and the finale indicated that might be it for his character. But showrunner Kerry Ehrin, who couldn’t attend the panel because of a bad case of bronchitis, previously said they were hoping to bring Carell back for the second season.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/the-morning-show-cast-criticisms-steve-carell-season-2-1202204511/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think Stranger Things is going back to winning 5 awards when it won a single one last time.

I think it has a better chance at winning 5 below the line awards this time than last time actually due to a variety of reasons :

1 – I think there is a considerable amount of tech support for Stranger Things. It explains why it got back into Series without acting, directing and writing support and why it got 7 nominations below the line (the exact same amount it got in 2018) despite airing more than a year ago. The passion still seems to be there.

2 – It doesn’t have Game of Thrones in it’s way (although in some categories I do admit it does have The Mandalorian).

3 – I am predicting it to win stunts because it got in for the first time there despite being snubbed for season 1 and 2 (not even Westworld whose stunts were considered to be one of the only highlights of their season and a more integral part to the show than they are to ST)

4 – I am cautious about Sound Mixing (not sure what to do with Maisel and Ozark in that category) but in Sound Editing it already has two peated here. I expect it to win again.

5 – I have it winning Editing due to Ozark, Mandalorian and Succession vote splits.

6 – Visual Effects I have as a toss up between it, Westworld and The Mandalorian.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I still think The Crown is winning Casting. It’s the only show competing there that has a brand new cast and they won for a season that had the same people as the previous season.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    ̶E̶m̶m̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶m̶i̶n̶e̶e̶
    Topics:

these the crown stans are on full denial, but I guess it’s one of the stages of grief…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Laura Linney emulating Glenn Close when she wins virtually :

Last time they talked about it they said they want him to return, maybe his placement in lead shows that he will: “ Ellenberg also said they’re still “exploring” Steve Carell’s contract for Season 2. The actor, who played a prominent supporting role in Season 1, was only signed for one season, and the finale indicated that might be it for his character. But showrunner Kerry Ehrin, who couldn’t attend the panel because of a bad case of bronchitis, previously said they were hoping to bring Carell back for the second season.” https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/the-morning-show-cast-criticisms-steve-carell-season-2-1202204511/

Sure ok. What I meant though was that it was kind of indicated at the end of season 1 that it was the end for his character and because you said that perhaps the actors don’t want to vote for one season performances and I was wondering why the actors didn’t think his performance was a one season performance.

I hope he doesn’t return. Mitch Kessler is the weakest part of the whole show.

I still can’t believe they snubbed Ramin Djawadi and Tom Pelphrey. I can’t even do my predictions because I’m still processing the Pelphrey snub.

Ramin Djawadi got snubbed? I was predicting him to win! Ouch that hurts.

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

Jason Bateman shot himself in the foot by not submitting for Ozark in Directing. He coulda had three nominations. I knew that Outsider show was a pipe dream

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

these the crown stans are on full denial, but I guess it’s one of the stages of grief…

Says the person predicting Better Call Saul to win Writing and Holland Taylor to win Supporting Actress…

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think part of his decision to submit for The Outsider was to allow other Ozark directors to get nominated. Plus, after watching The Outsider, I completely understand why he’d submit that one as I think it’s the best work he’s ever done as a director. Those first two episodes are absolutely stunning, and the show lost something once he left. Here’s hoping he can still get a DGA nom!

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

lol. I’m predicting it to win drama casting not drama series…😑

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Since we were talking about the laziness of voters in the actors’ branch, I think the real problem is the fact that they have unlimited slots on their ballots. That shouldn’t be the case. It allows for laziness and namechecking. If they were forced to check off five, six or eight performers (depending on the category), they would be forced to do their homework. Also, as much as I adore Ozark, we didn’t need three episodes nominated in writing.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Not everything has to be that strategic. Bateman’s directing in The Outsider was better, and arguably demonstrated that he has the ability to direct full time (though he has expressed that he still enjoys acting). It’s also a HBO drama with good viewership. He made a perfectly sound choice to submit that.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.