Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Let’s not underestimate Esposito. He got in for guest, when no one was predicting him. He could very well win both.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

I still think Laura Linney could be strong enough to overcome “Internet buzz.” I refuse to entertain the idea of Zendaya winning over those other seasoned actresses, even if she deserves to.

If Zendaya has her own passionate group of voters that make the ball start rolling for her to win, she very well can. Tatiana Maslany similarly overcame that defecit over vets due to the passion that was built up for her.

Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

I believe Linney or Aniston will win. Colman will win next year for her final season similar to Foy. Zendaya’s nom was a win in itself, sort of a welcome to the party. Comer and Oh will probably just cancel out.

In Directing, the academy sometimes goes with a random pick no one saw coming (last year with Bateman). This year if they did that, who would win? The Morning Show? I could see it happen.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

That Mimi Leder got her comeback nomination for The Morning Show and not The Leftovers kind of says it all. The potential upset though is Lesli Linka Glatter. There is scarcely a more revered television director and she has never won an Emmy, so she has the overdue card, especially with this being the series finale. At least she will still have several more chances though if she loses again this time. I am going with “Fire Pink”. There is a clear choice with each of our double-nominated dramas, so I do not see vote-splitting being a factor. That Adam McKay lost to Jason Bateman and that Mark Mylod lost to vote-splitting Watchmen does not speak well to Succession having passion here. Very possible of course that something just sweeps, but we will not know better if that is happening until the Creative Arts.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

If there’s a groundswell of support over the “Better Call Saul” snubs, then that could benefit Giancarlo Esposito. I can’t bring myself to predict an acting win for “The Mandalorian,” but in supporting actor and make history in the process? It most certainly can happen if enough vote splits occur.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

If there’s a groundswell of support over the “Better Call Saul” snubs, then that could benefit Giancarlo Esposito. I can’t bring myself to predict an acting win for “The Mandalorian,” but in supporting actor and make history in the process? It most certainly can happen if enough vote splits occur.

I think it’s definitely possible. Right now I’m considering predicting Esposito to win, and given the “Gilliganverse” as a whole didn’t do well, that particular logic is also making me think that it’ll push El Camino to a win.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

To think that Emmy voters decided to nominate Matthew Macfadyen for Succession this year when they could have nominated both him and his wife for Bodyguard last year! How dare the Television Academy be that cruel!

I’m just joking Macfadyen obviously deserves his nomination this year.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

I agree. I really want to echo what another poster said and wish Goldderby got out of its damn bubble. Some posters here are convinced they speak for everyone, when honestly we dont even have valid representation here in the threads. I’m honestly curious to see how many women are actually active in these threads? How many poc are active in these threads? I usually think its mostly just white men commenting here and that’s the definition of a bubble. … Similarly, if we had more POC commenting here, we probably could have gotten an idea of how much more amplified the current socio political environment actually is? And that we need to be predicting more black actors to get nominated? I guess what I am trying to say is we really need to get out of our damn bubble here and start looking at other factors to predict winners.

Well, I’m a Black woman and I want Linney to win at all costs. Lol And I’ve anecdotally seen many Black/brown people on Twitter say they want either Linney OR Zendaya, in that order. (Seriously, search their names together; it’s interesting.)

I agree that there needs to be more diversity, and I can see how there’s a bit of an echo chamber here. But I actually believe that’s more so the case with entertainment reporters and editors, who all look the same.

Profile picture
    FNLFan89
    Topics:

Maybe. Can anybody who’s seen his role in The Mandolarian say if he’d be deserving for it? Right now I feel like he’s taking Guest. I just think the industry is ready to reward him.

Esposito is good in his brief time in his episode (and he only had a cameo in another episode). He will get more material in Season 2, and will likely have to move up to Supporting Actor for 2021. Since Better Call Saul won’t be eligible next year, he won’t cancel himself out.

The thing that will likely hold him back from winning is the fact that The Mandalorian is a Star Wars show. With the exception of Sir Alec Guinness getting an Oscar nomination for the original film, the actors branch of the academies (television and film) have not responded well to the franchise. That Esposito got nominated despite that bias is a miracle.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Esposito is good in his brief time in his episode (and he only had a cameo in another episode). He will get more material in Season 2, and will likely have to move up to Supporting Actor for 2021. Since Better Call Saul won’t be eligible next year, he won’t cancel himself out. The thing that will likely hold him back from winning is the fact that The Mandalorian is a Star Wars show.

Didn’t prevent the show from getting 15 nominations.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I actually think that Esposito getting nominated for a Star Wars series works in his favor in terms of winning. For him to get nominated over people whose shows performed better in acting is pretty telling that there’s support behind his performance.

Having seen the show, I wouldn’t be mad if he won. The show is structured in a way that almost every episode there’s a new guest appearance and Esposito’s was definitely a standout.

I wonder if Taika could win for his voice-over performance considering the support there seems to be behind the show. In fact, I think the only reason Pedro Pascal wasn’t nominated is that his performance is pretty much a voice-over, but it doesn’t qualify in that category.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I actually think that Esposito getting nominated for a Star Wars series works in his favor in terms of winning. For him to get nominated over people whose shows performed better in acting is pretty telling that there’s support behind his performance. Having seen the show, I wouldn’t be mad if he won. The show is structured in a way that almost every episode there’s a new guest appearance and Esposito’s was definitely a standout. I wonder if Taika could win for his voice-over performance considering the supporting there seems to be behind the show. In fact, I think the only reason Pedro Pascal wasn’t nominated is that his performance is pretty much a voice-over, but it doesn’t qualify in that category.

I’m predicting him. The Mandalorian was obviously one of the most widely seen shows of the year and let’s be honest, Taika wouldn’t be undeserving. IG-11 was one of the most memorable characters of the series. I’m not going to spoil anything but damn, Taika did a good job with not too much to work with. That droid made me emotional. I teared up a little.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whilst not directly related to Aayaan’s conversation about how we underestimated Killing Eve I thought I might add a few thoughts on how people underestimated both the Succession and Killing Eve actors this year.

Firstly there is the element of campaigning. Practically both the Succession and Killing Eve actors were campaigning a tonne more than the actors of every other show. There wasn’t a single week where either weren’t campaigning and coincidentally if I’m not mistaken both were the only big dramas being interviewed for Variety’s virtual Q&A event. I remember posting a link of  all the Succession‘s actors being announced for Variety’s virtual Q&A event and I remember hopelessstar posting a link for Killing Eve‘s actors being announced for Variety and people were saying “it doesn’t matter” and all sorts of stuff (to be fair I was complicit in claiming the Killing Eve campaigning didn’t matter so I don’t really get a free pass here). Frankly it did matter. Every actor who attended these events from both Killing Eve and Succession nominated apart from Harriet Walter and J. Smith-Cameron. I mean throughout awards season these two shows arguably had the most visibility in publications and on social media on the Drama side. People kept saying Westworld was going to get back into Series (which I found a bit bizarre tbh) because it was being talked about by people on social media more but there is a big difference between the buzz for Killing Eve and Westworld on social media. For Westworld I did not see a single industry person say “Oh my god I love this show so much” or praise the show from the skies to the oceans. There were industry people praising Newton and Wright and showing love for them on social media (especially Newton with her article) but there was a significant drop in industry praise from when season 2 aired. Whilst Killing Eve had a drop in industry praise from its previous two seasons it was still being watched by the industry and love was being shared for the actors. Yes there was the controversy about the all white writers staff (which is why it got dropped from writing) and the directing on the show was less acclaimed than it was for its previous seasons (hence the drop from the directors branch) but the acting was still being praised by people in the industry A LOT. I mean when you have people like Debbie Harry, Reese Witherspoon and Elton John watching your show and praising Jodie Comer, Sandra Oh and Fiona Shaw during a period where people are staying at home and watching and discovering new pieces of TV in the middle of a pandemic one has to think people are still watching and enjoying the show (even if they think everything outside the performances are trash). There is also the issue of viewership that helped Killing Eve. Yes you can say Big Little Lies and The Handmaid’s Tale had big viewership when they aired but that’s the whole thing. They had big viewership “when they aired” meaning that people rushed to watch the shows when they were on and just forgot about them. Killing Eve’s viewership was pretty much on par with the viewership of its second season so the viewers didn’t run away (unlike with Westworld for example) during the middle of the pandemic.

You also have the element of the cool factor that helped both Killing Eve and Succession get multiple acting nominations. Succession had literally swept the whole winter awards season wherever it was nominated apart from DGA. The fact that this happened after it only won Writing at the 2019 Emmys and got nominated for 6 Emmys (none of which in acting) shows one thing and that is that the show got more visibility within the industry after being reminded to people at the Emmys that ‘yes the show does exist’ and that ‘you should watch’. It’s no secret awards help a show’s visibility but the thing is in everyday life people who are fans of television often associate awards with the idea that ‘something is good’ and often decide to watch a show after seeing it win awards. I mean it’s quite possible Emmy voters think the same way too and with a pandemic on their hands causing them lots more free time they just caught up with the shows and became fans of them. The same logic can be applied to Killing Eve and particularly Jodie Comer. The first season aired too late for voters to watch but we saw after Sandra Oh swept the winter awards how voters caught up with the show and nominated it for 9 Emmys. People kept saying it was because of how ’empty’ the field was but I mean the show was probably in the top 2/3 last year in Series so there should have been no reason for to it return. I mean I’m kicking myself here because I didn’t predict the series but I always found it strange as to why people were predicting Jodie Comer to get dropped for Elisabeth Moss and Nicole Kidman when she got in everywhere and they couldn’t get in at places like CC (Moss) or SAG (Kidman) or in the case of Moss’s show it went from multiple wins and nominations to complete shut out. Same with Sandra Oh, I remember saying people were underestimating her when they put her below both Viola Davis and Mandy Moore but people said it was delusional and there was no way she was getting back in. I mean this woman literally won at SAG over Moss, her show was still being watched and she was in the top 2 last year.

There is also the fact that Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer have basically become mega stars and that probably within a year or so Jodie Comer will be considered an A lister (I mean she’s in demand everywhere at the moment). I mean people were saying Elisabeth Moss would get back in because voters would have seen her in Shirley and The Invisible Man this year and both were acclaimed but Sandra Oh has literally been respected for her work on film and television for the space of two decades. I mean this woman is literally on the same level as people like Kerry Washington in the industry. Both have appeared in Oscar nominated films and both are quite popular in the industry.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYC Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series 2021 Emmys.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.