Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

The three acting snubs for Better Call Saul still hurts. Like, even though Esposito got nominated (and I predicted him) , one would have thought that he was least likely to get in. Like how do you watch the season and think “I don’t like their creative choices here” like….this was the BEST season of the show! Seehorn, Odenkirk and Banks were WORTHY…And I usually hated Banks’ namecheck nods for a few seasons, but the season he actually slayed, he gets snubbed. #TheEmmysAreOverParty

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    FNLFan89
    Topics:

Didn’t prevent the show from getting 15 nominations.

Yes, 15 nominations is great, and certainly worth celebrating. I currently have Esposito in 3rd place, so I’m not totally discounting him.

I actually think that Esposito getting nominated for a Star Wars series works in his favor in terms of winning. For him to get nominated over people whose shows performed better in acting is pretty telling that there’s support behind his performance.

Having seen the show, I wouldn’t be mad if he won. The show is structured in a way that almost every episode there’s a new guest appearance and Esposito’s was definitely a standout.

I wonder if Taika could win for his voice-over performance considering the supporting there seems to be behind the show. In fact, I think the only reason Pedro Pascal wasn’t nominated is that his performance is pretty much a voice-over, but it doesn’t qualify in that category.

Waititi has a solid shot, as he just won an Oscar and Star Wars series have been rewarded for voice-over performances (David Tennant won a Daytime Emmy for The Clone Wars, and a few other actors were nominated for that series)

Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

The Academy must really have loved Killing Eve more than we expected. For them to nominate Shaw in a competitive year must really say that they were watching this season vs McTeer who totally derserved a nod for Ozark shows they must not have payed to much attention. Even though Ozark got 18 noms.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

If Zendaya has her own passionate group of voters that make the ball start rolling for her to win, she very well can. Tatiana Maslany similarly overcame that defecit over vets due to the passion that was built up for her.

Tatiana Maslany was also a previous nominee, and there was a consensus that she was snubbed a couple of times before that, which probably led to her first nomination and her eventual win on her second nomination. That was built up support, tbh.

I don’t deny that Zendaya has her own passionate supporters, but I still don’t think her situation and Maslany’s are remotely the same.

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

The three acting snubs for Better Call Saul still hurts. Like, even though Esposito got nominated (and I predicted him) , one would have thought that he was least likely to get in. Like how do you watch the season and think “I don’t like their creative choices here” like….this was the BEST season of the show! Seehorn, Odenkirk and Banks were WORTHY…And I usually hated Banks’ namecheck nods for a few seasons, but the season he actually slayed, he gets snubbed. #TheEmmysAreOverParty

This! Besides the names you mentioned, Michael Mando and Tony Dalton were also terrific!

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

I hope I don’t get him in trouble by saying here that Kevin Johnson (“Sam”) tweeted that Ozark is slated to begin filming the next season in October.

Someone else said Succession is hoping to film their next season this fall too.

If by some miracle things are better by then, both shows could be eligible for 2021 with an accelerated post-production schedule.

It still seems too early… But man, it would be nice to find ourselves on the other side of this hell.

Profile picture
    leothescorpio
    Topics:

This! Besides the names you mentioned, Michael Mando and Tony Dalton were also terrific!

Ugh YES! Better Call Saul should have dominated just like Succession. But hoping Emmy voters correct their mistake for the final season

Profile picture
    DvirBA
    Topics:

I’m starting to fear the very plausible scenario of Ozark snatching Best Drama Series from Succession.
    The way that show escalated recently is making it more possible than I initially thought

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Well, I’m a Black woman and I want Linney to win at all costs. Lol And I’ve anecdotally seen many Black/brown people on Twitter say they want either Linney OR Zendaya, in that order. (Seriously, search their names together; it’s interesting.)

I am so glad you said this! This belief that black people will exclusively vote for actors of color (in drama actress, Zendaya or Sandra) is so ridiculous and borderline racist. People should listen to awardsdaily’s recent podcast (which was excellent), in which someone explains why Linney is out in front. It was excellent insight.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I am so glad you said this! This belief that black people will exclusively vote for actors of color (in drama actress, Zendaya or Sandra) is so ridiculous and borderline racist. People should listen to awardsdaily’s recent podcast (which was excellent), in which someone explains why Linney is out in front. It was excellent insight.

It’s not about black people not wanting to vote for Linney lol! I was making a larger point that has nothing to do with one category being won or lost by Linney.

It’s about the need for more representation in these forums for both women and POC, and one black woman commenting here doesn’t mean we have the necessary representation on both those quarters. Zendaya was ruled out for a nomination by many posters including you, but here she is nominated over Elisabeth Moss. Now many folks are underestimating her potential to win because they continue to live in their bubble. I am not predicting her, but I find it incredibly plausible that she can win this category, especially since Ozark has legitimate acting snubs. We need newer, more diverse opinions and perspectives here, something we were severely lacking when predicting nominations.

Many posters including you ridiculed the notion of Killing Eve being a factor, but it got both actresses nominated over Elisabeth Moss. Fiona Shaw came back over Ann Dowd and Yvonne. Most posters just ignored Killing Eve completely. Again, there are too many (white) men commenting here which is giving them a lot of say in forming the narrative and discussions. We just need more women being a part of the discussions here, and we need more POC as well. That’s the point I was making. Not whether black women want to vote for Linney or Zendaya.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

But maybe my dismissing of Killing Eve or not thinking that Zendaya has much of a chance has more so to do with the fact that I just wasn’t good at predicting this year, not with my gender or ethnicity? The same applies to everyone else, of course. Anyway, I agree with the point you’re making. Of course we need more diversity here, but that’s very difficult to achieve as this is just an internet forum. I would hope people base their predictions on not exclusively these forums.

I also wasn’t referring to you re Linney. But I have seen comments such as “Kerry Washington is a thespian for blacks” here, which is a ridiculous statement. And then there are others assuming that Zendaya would get the “black” vote, which is such a bizarre and subtly racist assumption.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

But maybe my dismissing of Killing Eve or not thinking that Zendaya has much of a chance has more so to do with the fact that I just wasn’t good at predicting this year, not with my gender or ethnicity?

Perhaps. Heck even I underestimated both Killing Eve and Zendaya, it wasn’t just you. But that’s what I am saying.. maybe if we had more women and more POC being a part of discussions here, they could have corrected us when we were dismissing Killing Eve and Zendaya?

Of course we need more diversity here, but that’s very difficult to achieve as this is just an internet forum

Which is why if we can’t achieve the diversity here, we should at least acknowledge that the discussions here are being done in a bubble and shouldn’t underestimate the trends we are seeing on other, more diverse social networks like Twitter.

I would hope people base their predictions on not exclusively these forums.

Exactly.

Zendaya would get the “black” vote, which is such a bizarre and subtly racist assumption

Agreed. It’s quite ridiculous to say that but I honestly didn’t read that post yet.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think some of us dismissed Euphoria not because we didn’t like it — I think most people loved it — but because the TV academy has shown bias toward that genre. We didn’t predict Killing Eve because most of its buzz was no longer positive. But between that and THT, which also had a lesser acclaimed season, I think it’s obvious that the quality of a season doesn’t necessarily matter.

This is also the craziest year we’ve recently seen between the pandemic and the historic BLM movement. I don’t think anyone can be faulted for not predicting something as we really just had no idea how everything would be affected by the current climate.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

We didn’t predict Killing Eve because most of its buzz was no longer positive

But Luca, that’s the whole point. The ‘We’ here is just not diverse enough. You are saying Killing Eve was not buzzy enough, but I know many people on Twitter who still loved the season, and most of them were women. Again I don’t want to generalise, but I can’t help but wonder that we severely underestimated Killing Eve because we kept reinforcing each other’s opinions in this bubble of Goldderby threads.

I don’t think anyone can be faulted for not predicting something as we really just had no idea how everything would be affected by the current climate

Again, I’m sure most POC had a clear idea of how amplified the climate was. If we had more representation in the threads, they could have told us how amplified the movement actually is. I don’t live in America, but even I knew this time it was a lot more amplified than in previous years. But I still underestimated its magnitude. And I see people are STILL underestimating it by barely predicting in black winners besides King. I’m sorry but that’s just not going to happen this year.

I just think we genuinely need more women and POcs commenting here, being part of active discussions, and help shape the narrative. That’s all.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

You are saying Killing Eve was not buzzy enough, but I know many people on Twitter who still loved the season, and most of them were women

I should have said “people” because I will say that the buzz for KE was much more positive here than it was on Twitter. But yes, the show still has A LOT of fans, which I guess I and others underestimated.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.