Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I have rewatched several Ozark S3 scenes, and there’s not a single scene in which Laura Linney misses a beat. That therapy argument between her character and Bateman’s is phenomenal, and Bateman’s work in it (like in the entire season) is so underrated.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Jeremy Strong submitted “This Is Not For Tears”.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/jeremy-strong-succession-emmys-2020-episode-submission-revealed/

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Jeremy Strong submitted “This Is Not For Tears”. https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/jeremy-strong-succession-emmys-2020-episode-submission-revealed/

He’s a killer.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Jeremy Strong submitted “This Is Not For Tears”. https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/jeremy-strong-succession-emmys-2020-episode-submission-revealed/

When he wins the Emmy

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Damn we posted the same gif at the same time LMAO.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

It’s about the need for more representation in these forums for both women and POC, and one black woman commenting here doesn’t mean we have the necessary representation on both those quarters. Zendaya was ruled out for a nomination by many posters… We need newer, more diverse opinions and perspectives here, something we were severely lacking when predicting nominations. Many posters including you ridiculed the notion of Killing Eve being a factor, but it got both actresses nominated over Elisabeth Moss. Fiona Shaw came back over Ann Dowd and Yvonne. Most posters just ignored Killing Eve completely. Again, there are too many (white) men commenting here which is giving them a lot of say in forming the narrative and discussions. We just need more women being a part of the discussions here, and we need more POC as well. That’s the point I was making. Not whether black women want to vote for Linney or Zendaya.

So, you say we need more women and POC commenting here. I mention I’m both of those things, and not only do you skip over my post, you dismiss my opinion to another man who’s agreeing with me. Thanks for the support!

I dismissed the notion of Zendaya being nominated even though I really enjoyed her performance on Euphoria. It had nothing to do with HER and everything to do with an industry that supports older women. I thought for sure that Viola Davis would make it in before her because (I thought) the industry skewed older.

Also, we don’t really know how many women or POC comment here because so many reserve their right to be anonymous. But I am sorry that *my* diverse perspective isn’t enough for you. I hope someone else fills that void you’re experiencing in just the precise, perfect way you want.

ETA: Women and POC are just as fallible to missing trends. Killing Eve didn’t have the industry buzz this season, so naturally people didn’t think both actresses would make it again. That’s not some egregious mistake that only white men made this year.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

It’s not about black people not wanting to vote for Linney lol! I was making a larger point that has nothing to do with one category being won or lost by Linney.

It’s about the need for more representation in these forums for both women and POC, and one black woman commenting here doesn’t mean we have the necessary representation on both those quarters. Zendaya was ruled out for a nomination by many posters including you, but here she is nominated over Elisabeth Moss. Now many folks are underestimating her potential to win because they continue to live in their bubble. I am not predicting her, but I find it incredibly plausible that she can win this category, especially since Ozark has legitimate acting snubs. We need newer, more diverse opinions and perspectives here, something we were severely lacking when predicting nominations.

Many posters including you ridiculed the notion of Killing Eve being a factor, but it got both actresses nominated over Elisabeth Moss. Fiona Shaw came back over Ann Dowd and Yvonne. Most posters just ignored Killing Eve completely. Again, there are too many (white) men commenting here which is giving them a lot of say in forming the narrative and discussions. We just need more women being a part of the discussions here, and we need more POC as well. That’s the point I was making. Not whether black women want to vote for Linney or Zendaya.

Diversity has always been a problem here, from our sea of white dude editors to a membership that is predominately white. That’s just what it is. Hopefully diversity will happen organically over time within our GD “bubble” as you call it, and not as a product of virtue-signaling. And being “diverse” doesn’t prevent groupthink from within the bubble either, BTW. As you’re a POC, you had the same blind spots that Luca had in this year’s Emmy predictions. It’s not a fail-safe! But I agree, better representation is needed on all fronts.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Jeffrey Wright submitted “Crisis Theory”.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/jeffrey-wright-westworld-emmys-2020-episode-submission-revealed/

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Jeffrey Wright has the best scene in his category in the “Westworld” finale. If he wins, I will be completely happy.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

A single good scene should not justify winning for a season where he does nothing else though.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I find it ironic when people say that people like Helena Bonham Carter or Jodie Comer shouldn’t win because they only had one or two good episodes but then say that someone who has a single good scene should win lol.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

There is a difference between being “fine” or “happy” with someone winning and wanting someone to win. I wouldn’t check off Wright if I had a ballot, but I wouldn’t be mad if he won. He also had two preceding seasons in which he was phenomenal.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I get what your saying, I’m just saying that a win for Wright is objectively bad in my mind given he did so little. He went from the show’s main hero to a role with the screentime and plot importance of a guest star.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

And that’s completely fine. You also said “in my mind,” which is the key here!

No one likes how little screen time both he and Newton got, but the fact that I still vividly remember Wright’s scene in the finale (of which I remember little) means something, right? At least for me it does.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Jeffrey Wright has the best scene in his category in the “Westworld” finale. If he wins, I will be completely happy.

Ugh, really?

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.