Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

And yet people have been falling all over themselves for Olivia Colman…

At least Colman contributes to the plot of her current season, unlike Wright.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I listened to several podcasts this week, and there are several people who prefer Culkin. Macfadyen being the universal favorite is, again, perhaps a belief that only exists in these forums. I agree that he’s the best, but this is a typical vote-split situation IMO.

Or it could end up like some people are predicting Cox and Strong and how Comer and Oh were last year where they get the highest number of votes and one of them wins by a hair.

I’m not disagreeing with you on a potential vote split but it is wort baring in mind the bubbles the people who make these podcasts are sometimes in. I mean I was re-listening to one from 2017 where all the people said fans of The Handmaid’s Tale will undoubtedly vote for Samira Wiley over Ann Dowd in 2017!

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I listened to several podcasts this week, and there are several people who prefer Culkin. Macfadyen being the universal favorite is, again, perhaps a belief that only exists in these forums. I agree that he’s the best, but this is a typical vote-split situation IMO.

Culkin has always been my favorite from the lineup. But I’m predicting Crudup. I thought Esposito or Wright might upset and make history, but too much might be against them.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Or it could end up like some people are predicting Cox and Strong and how Comer and Oh were last year where they get the highest number of votes and one of them wins by a hair.

I’ve always hated this argument because there is nothing that suggests that Sandra was in second (I only ever heard that argument here). Laura Linney, for instance, could have very easily been in second — or anyone else. In order to win, you barely need over 12% of the votes here, so if Succession fans are spreading their votes, then it can be very easy for one of the 5 other nominees to pull ahead.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I listened to several podcasts this week, and there are several people who prefer Culkin. Macfadyen being the universal favorite is, again, perhaps a belief that only exists in these forums. I agree that he is indeed, but this is a typical vote-split situation IMO.

this!!! macfadyen literally isn’t more preferred in anywhere but in this site, so those thinking he can overcome the vote split are mind boggling to me. it’s pretty obvious culkin has more support overall this season.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And yet people have been falling all over themselves for Olivia Colman…

LMAO I literally don’t understand this. No one on this forum actually has said that they want Colman to win. I mean people have been vicious on here and saying extreme stuff such as “she doesn’t know how to act” which although her performance wasn’t great is a crazy over exaggeration. I mean if people think that saying people are over exaggerating with Colman is people falling head over heels for her then there is clearly something wrong here.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Yeah, Succession is going to vote-split easily in SActor. It’s not like Jodie/Sandra where no one could agree on an upsetting contender and what led them both to the top 2. Billy is the favorite in the category now that Tom is gone and he’s a veteran who can be seen as overdue. Even if one of the succession actors were nominated, I don’t think either one of them has enough respect to win over Crudup. It’s an easy win for him. Not to mention, Macfayden literally only had a CC nom for this role prior to the Emmys while Culkin had two Globe noms, one has obviously had more support and it’s not GD’s favorite.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve always hated this argument because there is nothing that suggests that Sandra was in second (I only ever heard that argument here). Laura Linney, for instance, could have very easily been in second — or anyone else. In order to win, you barely need over 12% of the votes here, so if Succession fans are spreading their votes, then it can be very easy for one of the 5 other nominees to pull ahead.

There isn’t anything that suggests Laura Linney was second either…

Profile picture
    Dame Mandy Moore
    Topics:

Colman has no talent. Next topic please.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."
    - Mandy Moore
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah, Succession is going to vote-split easily in SActor. It’s not like Jodie/Sandra where no one could agree on an upsetting contender and what led them both to the top 2. Billy is the favorite in the category now that Tom is gone and he’s an veteran who can be seen as overdue. Even if one of the succession actors were nominated, I don’t think either one of them has enough respect to win over Crudup. It’s an easy win for him. Not to mention, Macfayden literally only had a CC nom for this role prior to the Emmys while Culkin had two Globe noms, one has obviously had more support and it’s not GD’s favorite.

But Matthew Macfadyen also has a tremendous amount of respect in the industry (well at least the British one). In this category with Josh O’Connor gone he is likely to benefit from taking all the British bloc support (which is something we know Culkin won’t be getting).

I mean last year we saw how Ben Whishaw’s British bloc support helped him beat industry vets Stellan Skarsgard and Michael K. Williams.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

And that’s exactly why he can win this whole thing. With Thandie Newton, the general consensus was that Emmy voters were a year behind, and caught up late with her amazing performance in Season 1, and she technically won for both seasons of Westworld. Ben Mendelsohn winning a year after his win worthy work comes to mind.

The problem with that logic is that Wright was never the favorite to win for either of those seasons. And Thandie won when the show was still popular and had decent industry support. And regardless of whether her win was a consolation and/or if she was too out of focus that year, compared to Wright this season, her work in season 2 was a million times more popular.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

There isn’t anything that suggests Laura Linney was second either…

That’s literally what I just said. We don’t know who was in second — my point exactly.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

this!!! macfadyen literally isn’t more preferred in anywhere but in this site, so those thinking he can overcome the vote split are mind boggling to me. it’s pretty obvious culkin has more support overall this season.

Proof? The people I’ve talked to outside this forum, that have actually watched this show, love MacFadyen’s performance and didn’t even mention Culkin. Actors choose these winners, and MacFayden is the better actor. I’m not going to let a couple of podcasts tell me that Culkin is ahead of MacFayden.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

But Matthew Macfadyen also has a tremendous amount of respect in the industry (well at least the British one). In this category with Josh O’Connor gone he is likely to benefit from taking all the British bloc support (which is something we know Culkin won’t be getting). I mean last year we saw how Ben Whishaw’s British bloc support helped him beat industry vets Stellan Skarsgard and Michael K. Williams.

But Whishaw had actually won precursor awards and WTSU men obviously vote-split, otherwise Williams probably would’ve won over him with the way actors loved WTSU. And I don’t really think that there’s that much respect for him in the industry (British or otherwise). I mean he’s won one TV BAFTA out of two nominations but other than that, nothing. All he has is a SAG ensemble nom prior to this Emmy nom, plus only two critic awards noms from the 2000s. That’s literally all the respect or attention he’s ever garnered. For this show, he literally has less support than Culkin.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Cox being preferred is also a GD bubble thing, tbh. I have Strong ahead of him and I’ll keep them like that.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.