Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Brian Cox gave the drama acting performance of the year in “Hunting.” I’ll gladly stay in my “GD bubble” with that one.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Colman has no talent. Next topic please.

Someone clearly hasn’t seen the multi BAFTA award winning critically acclaimed Broadchurch or the Oscar winning The Favourite lol.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I can totally see Brian Cox winning this year and Jeremy Strong winning for next season, especially after that season finale.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It wasn’t you.

Ah ok.

Following on from your comment about Foy I really miss her so much! Had The Crown just kept the old cast and aged them up she probably would be winning this in a whirlwind.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I can totally see Brian Cox winning this year and Jeremy Strong winning for next season, especially after that season finale.

Jeremy Strong should win. Subtle acting is much harder to do. This is coming from an actress.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

How is having constant nervous breakdowns subtle?

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

So I’m from the UK and I have to say awards or no awards Matthew Macfadyen and his wife are considered television royalty here. They’ve been appearing in leading roles on hit tv shows since the 90s. With Whishaw he actually got skunked at SAG so it’s not as if he wasn’t weak enough for someone like Skarsgard or Williams to beat him (especially when Patricia Arquette could beat SAG nominee and Globe and CC winner Patricia Clarkson). After all Skarsgard did win/get nominated for the exact same awards as Whishaw post Chernobyl’s Emmy run.

Oop well, congrats to Macfayden then. But again, Williams had vote-splitting against him and another point: Chernobyl wasn’t that cared for by the actors at the Emmys. And Williams got snubbed due to racism at the Globes (I mean all that mess is pretty undeniable) whereas Skarsgard was pretty much the defunct winner (I mean look at that lineup and Chernobyl wasn’t winning anywhere else so). And SAG as we all know are more prone to name-checks (hence why Grant got in before Whishaw) and AVES had an atrocious run at the guilds. All this aside, Whishaw is a horrible comparison to try to argue for why Macfayden can win when Whishaw had better circumstances and a better awards run for his show than the latter.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Cox literally won the Globe while Strong wasn’t even nominated. I’m not implying that his win means that he definitively has more popularity than Strong, but he clearly isn’t ‘just a Gold Derby thing’.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Dame Mandy Moore
    Topics:

Brian Cox gave the drama acting performance of the year in “Hunting.” I’ll gladly stay in my “GD bubble” with that one.

Watch more dramas then!

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."
    - Mandy Moore
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Jeremy Strong should win. Subtle acting is much harder to do. This is coming from an actress.

I will say, cause I’ve done a couple of plays, playing such a loud role like Cox’s is also hard, as you have to find the fine line between going big, but not being overly hammy. I’m not saying one method is harder than the other though, and both Logan and Kendall come across as legitimately difficult roles.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Ah ok.

Following on from your comment about Foy I really miss her so much! Had The Crown just kept the old cast and aged them up she probably would be winning this in a whirlwind.

Foy would have ENDED this competition with good enough material. I mean she really did that in just two seasons whew.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

How is having constant nervous breakdowns subtle?

There’s a lot more to his performance than that, and even his breakdowns aren’t these huge “I’M ACTING” moments. Strong has a lot of wonderful ticks and mannerisms in his work that aren’t always noticeable at first, but they all add up to an overall stellar portrayal.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

People need to stop thinking that the Golden Globes matter. Look what happened with Richard Madden. Strong also got the TCA nom when Cox didn’t. Cox has support sure, but things are looking like Jeremy Strong may have more outside the internet.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Watch more dramas then!

I watch plenty, thanks. Save your concern for someone else.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Foy would have ENDED this competition with good enough material. I mean she really did that in just two seasons whew.

Absolutely!

I liked Moss’s performance in season 1 of Handmaid’s but the fact Foy lost that year is ridiculous.

Also this may sound like an exaggeration but I really think Foy could have played the Queen up until the final season. I was fortunate enough to see her work in Lungs on stage and she played older phenomenally.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.