Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Moss deserved that first win Foy had way more to do in the second season.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

There’s a lot more to his performance than that, and even his breakdowns aren’t these huge “I’M ACTING” moments.

I never claimed it was but it seems anything and everything that isn’t extremely showy is labelled as subtle these days, probably to give more credibility to that performance. There is a middle ground between those two which is largely ignored.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

People need to stop thinking that the Golden Globes matter. Look what happened with Richard Madden. Strong also got the TCA nom when Cox didn’t. Cox has support sure, but things are looking like Jeremy Strong may have more outside the internet.

I literally said in the post you quoted that it doesn’t definitively indicate Cox’s popularity over Strong (I’m well aware that the Globes aren’t that important). It does however prove that Cox is far beyond a ‘Gold Derby thing’. Madden missed, Cox got in. Cox is a far more respected actor than either Madden or Strong.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Jeremy Strong should win. Subtle acting is much harder to do. This is coming from an actress.

I genuinely love both performances and I would be happy with either of them winning. However, both the TV and movie industry love rewarding loud performances over subtle performances and that’s why I am predicting Cox right now but I’ll probably be switching back and forth until the prediction center closes. It’s a shame that they both can’t win for their roles this year.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Nothing would make me happier than to hear “We have a tie”.

Absolutely! I liked Moss’s performance in season 1 of Handmaid’s but the fact Foy lost that year is ridiculous. Also this may sound like an exaggeration but I really think Foy could have played the Queen up until the final season. I was fortunate enough to see her work in Lungs on stage and she played older phenomenally.

Yes, but theatre is a much less literal art form than tv. On stage you can get away with something like that, but most TV fans would find Foy playing so beyond her age ridiculous.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Nothing would make me happier than to hear “We have a tie”.

Could you imagine…

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I tend to qualify people surviving vote-splitting by saying that they could place “first and second/third”.  I would say that it is mostly semantics though.  When people say that people from the same show are going to place first and second, the point that they are really making is that they are strong enough to overcome vote-splitting and that is not lost.

As for the point about the online buzz for Killing Eve being a harbinger, I will contend that the reason that I and many others ignored it is because we had thought that it had transferred from Jharell Jerome-style online buzz that is demonstrative of industry sentiment to Outlander-style online buzz that is just a stan thing.

On a related note, after Gold Derby interview traffic correlated so well to Emmy wins last year (Jodie Comer, Jharrel Jerome), it was regrettably a bust for nominations this year (Tom Pelphrey, Rhea Seehorn, Janet McTeer, Outlander obviously, Leroy McClain to a lesser extent, although Jodie Comer still got in).  Our most-watched limited interviews of 2020 on YouTube are Jaeden Martell, Sarah Paulson, Cody Fern, Chris Evans and Jake Picking.  Maybe the quarantine skewed the ratio of industry to regular folks checking out our channel?  Another key factor is that GoldDerby.com stopped embedding YouTube in 2020, so traffic here does not contribute to YouTube numbers.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Watch Jason Bateman just win while people for months claim this is between Cox and Strong only.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I can easily see Bateman winning but I will refuse to believe it wasn’t because of a vote-split.

I never claimed it was but it seems anything and everything that isn’t extremely showy is labelled as subtle these days, probably to give more credibility to that performance. There is a middle ground between those two which is largely ignored.

The problem here is that the people on GD want to say this about Strong’s performance and then in another post, say he wouldn’t win if the tape-system was still around because his performance was too subtle and not showy enough. Everyone’s just contradicting themselves. Let’s just agree that his performance wasn’t as “showy” as Cox’s. But who cares, they were both great.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I will never be able to look at any “subtle” performance in the same way after watching Claire Foy in the second season of The Crown.

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Last year, everyone preferred Comer to Oh. The same can’t be said for Cox and Strong, I just don’t see how they are not going to vote split.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Last year, everyone preferred Comer to Oh. The same can’t be said for Cox and Strong, I just don’t see how they are not going to vote split.

It’s likely, but god I hope they don’t. They are the two most deserving of the year. It would be a shame to see it go to a third-placer.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I for one think Billy Porter is still the most deserving, but I know I am in the minority here.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

He is, but at this point awarding him again might seem tone death after the Pose actresses and the trans community are very vocal about how the industry only awards the cis actor of the show. Slotted Sterling K. Brown above him because he is getting all the This Is Us vote this time around (even if it’s small) and he is starting to be an industry darling.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yeah, I don’t think there’s a path for him. He shouldn’t, however, be punished for voters not nominating the trans actresses from the show — that isn’t his fault. Sterling K. Brown, too, is very deserving, but again, no one seems to want to talk about it. We’ve dismissed Jeffrey Wright, Thandie Newton and Samira Wiley in the last two days, while all contenders in the lead actor race save for Brown and Porter have been repeatedly broached. I am not saying there’s a pattern, but it’s interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.