Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 513 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think it’s a criminal oversight not to nominate him in directing for The Outsider. That opening hour is one of the best paced, structured and executed hours of TV I have recently seen (the same applies to episode 2). He knows how to use slow-motion, editing, sound and score to elevate a scene!

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Last time they talked about it they said they want him to return, maybe his placement in lead shows that he will: “ Ellenberg also said they’re still “exploring” Steve Carell’s contract for Season 2. The actor, who played a prominent supporting role in Season 1, was only signed for one season, and the finale indicated that might be it for his character. But showrunner Kerry Ehrin, who couldn’t attend the panel because of a bad case of bronchitis, previously said they were hoping to bring Carell back for the second season.” https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/the-morning-show-cast-criticisms-steve-carell-season-2-1202204511/

I’m sorry to say, but that actor who played his replacement is a poor fit for the role. So I’d be surprised if they kept him on.

Not everything has to be that strategic. Bateman’s directing in The Outsider was better, and arguably demonstrated that he has the ability to direct full time (though he has expressed that he still enjoys acting). It’s also a HBO drama with good viewership. He made a perfectly sound choice to submit that.

Of COURSE everything is strategic. LOL And yeah, I agree with the theory that he was giving other Ozark directors a chance to shine.

I still can’t believe he tried to do both series at once.

Profile picture
    Dame Mandy Moore
    Topics:

So wolfali, you dragged me the other day for saying that Jeremy Strong was winning over Brian Cox, but you are predicting Strong to win now, can you explain why you switched like that?

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."
    - Mandy Moore
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When did I drag you for predicting Strong over Cox what? I’ve never predicted Cox (apart from maybe in the nominations stage).

Anyway I am predicting Strong because I don’t think Television Academy members feel the need to award Cox. They’ve already awarded Cox and considering they probably started the show from scratch in quarantine seeing how it went from 0 to 9 acting nominations I think they’ll see how Strong gives the better performance in season 1 and how he still is quite strong (in fact I’d say he was better than Cox) in season 2 (excuse the pun with strong).

I also think with Strong it’s a very rare performance, one that I think voters will like because they haven’t seen it really before (see Claire Foy winning for The Crown) on television. Cox (although excellent) doesn’t really give that rare or layered a performance.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Dame Mandy Moore
    Topics:

When did I drag you for predicting Strong over Cox what?

When I said Strong was winning you randomly said that I had Holland Taylor in second and Killing Eve ahead of The Crown, which he had nothing to do with what we were debating, so I assumed you didn’t like what I said and tried to randomly drag my predictions implying that I had no idea of what I was doing.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."
    - Mandy Moore
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wasn’t referring to your prediction of Strong. I was asking why you had Holland Taylor in second and Killing Eve ahead of The Crown?

It would be quite hypocritical if I dragged someone for predicting Strong considering apart from a few times where I’ve thought both Strong and Cox might split I was one of the first people to say Strong was winning on this site (whilst many people were saying he would get snubbed!)

I would kindly prefer it if you deleted your message as it implies something that is quite far from the truth.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I still think The Crown is winning Casting. It’s the only show competing there that has a brand new cast and they won for a season that had the same people as the previous season.

This actually makes me think they’ll lose in this category. Having a brand new cast doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the frontrunner for best casting. Look what happened with Game of Thrones winning last year, UGH. I work in casting so I’m embarrassed that my peer group voted for that show last year (best casting for extras maybe? smh). I think they’ll go with Succession for casting this year and it’ll be well-deserved.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Why is “Black Mirror” considered a drama series? I get the rules change about not being considered movies anymore, but isn’t this franchise built on non-recurring characters, and not recurring characters? What part of this am I missing? Why not change to limited series?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When I said Strong was winning you randomly said that I had Holland Taylor in second and Killing Eve ahead of The Crown, which he had nothing to do with what we were debating, so I assumed you didn’t like what I said and tried to randomly drag my predictions implying that I had no idea of what I was doing.

Ok I think I found out what happened. A glitch seemed to happen because I sent this message :

“You have Holland Taylor in second in her category and The Crown behind Killing Eve and The Mandalorian in Series…”

In response to this message :

“Helena’s winning chances died yesterday, she’s fourth by default because the BLL ladies, Thandie and Samira aren’t winning either, but she has no shot. Shaw is absolutely above her.”

But for some reason it seemed to select this message to quote :

“If anyone is going to win lead actor for Succession this person is Strong. I guess people still don’t know how passion vote works.”

How weird!

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

Not everything has to be that strategic. Bateman’s directing in The Outsider was better, and arguably demonstrated that he has the ability to direct full time (though he has expressed that he still enjoys acting). It’s also a HBO drama with good viewership. He made a perfectly sound choice to submit that.

Very commendable. I actually like and respect artists who stick by and believe in their craft/ work under any and every circumstance.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

If Helena doesn’t win the emmy, then that means she won’t win a single award for The Crown, which is just unacceptable

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Sandra Oh & Fiona Shaw, Cicely Tyson

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing & directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

*How the hell were Merritt Wever and Rose Byrne snubbed

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

This actually makes me think they’ll lose in this category. Having a brand new cast doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the frontrunner for best casting. Look what happened with Game of Thrones winning last year, UGH. I work in casting so I’m embarrassed that my peer group voted for that show last year (best casting for extras maybe? smh). I think they’ll go with Succession for casting this year and it’ll be well-deserved.

I never said it was the frontrunner because it had a brand new cast. I do think that helps though. I do think it’s between The Crown and Succession. But I also think the fact that big names like Olivia Colman and Helena Bonham Carter are at the center of it, might push it for the win. But what do I know?!

Regarding GoT, I think it won because it had a huge ensemble and it was the last season.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

If Helena doesn’t win the emmy, then that means she won’t win a single award for The Crown, which is just unacceptable

She is not due to win anything just because she is HBC. Give a win worthy performance first.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

He never said Helena should win just because she’s HBC. He just expressed his opinion. And regarding Helena’s performance, in my opinion, her performance is definetly win worthy.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think Helena was great in episode 2 and amazing in the finale, but it jsut wasn’t enough for me. Not when Julia Garner is right there in that category, who continues to be a revelation in this role. And then there are Dern and Streep who were phenomenal throughout in BLL. Snook is great as well, but her performance is partly so good because of the dialogue and the writing overall.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.