Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He is, but at this point awarding him again might seem tone death after the Pose actresses and the trans community are very vocal about how the industry only awards the cis actor of the show. Slotted Sterling K. Brown above him because he is getting all the This Is Us vote this time around (even if it’s small) and he is starting to be an industry darling.

Or it could just be that there is not enough support for This is Us and that he was close to being dropped.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Yeah, I don’t think there’s a path for him. He shouldn’t, however, be punished for voters not nominating the trans actresses from the show — that isn’t his fault. Sterling K. Brown, too, is very deserving, but again, no one seems to want to talk about it. We’ve dismissed Jeffrey Wright, Thandie Newton and Samira Wiley in the last two days, while all contenders in the lead actor race save for Brown and Porter have been repeatedly broached. I am not saying there’s a pattern, but it’s interesting.

All together now: “unconscious bias.”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah, I don’t think there’s a path for him. He shouldn’t, however, be punished for voters not nominating the trans actresses from the show — that isn’t his fault. Sterling K. Brown, too, is very deserving, but again, no one seems to want to talk about it. We’ve dismissed Jeffrey Wright, Thandie Newton and Samira Wiley in the last two days, while all contenders in the lead actor race save for Brown and Porter have been repeatedly broached. I am not saying there’s a pattern, but it’s interesting.

I really think Samira Wiley can Uzo Aduba herself to a win and I think people are underestimating her a lot. Then again as I said before I see paths to a win for all the women in Supporting Actress.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

So, you say we need more women and POC commenting here. I mention I’m both of those things, and not only do you skip over my post, you dismiss my opinion to another man who’s agreeing with me. Thanks for the support!

Wait, what? I’m sorry but the reason why I did not respond to your comment about Linney having the support to win was because my initial post had absolutely nothing to do with Linney winning (or losing) her category in the first place. Like there is no reason for me to dismiss your opinion because I am not even disagreeing with or contesting the notion that Linney is more favoured to win because black people on Twitter are loving her and Zendaya’s work, which is what you spoke about in your post. Like I’m sorry if you felt like I overlooked your opinion, but I was never indulging in this discussion over Zendaya Vs Linney in the first place so that’s why I didn’t respond. I don’t understand why you or Luca think I was implying otherwise.

Also, we don’t really know how many women or POC comment here because so many reserve their right to be anonymous

Which is precisely why in my first post I literally said “I wonder how many women and POC posters are actually active here”. That was a genuine question because like you said, we don’t really know how many women or POC comment here.

But I am sorry that *my* diverse perspective isn’t enough for you. I hope someone else fills that void you’re experiencing in just the precise, perfect way you want.

I did not want to sound dismissive of your opinion, I’m sorry if it seemed like that. Your opinion is exactly what I’m saying we need MORE of in the forums, but I think you too would agree that there really is a diversity problem here, and that we need AS MANY diverse voices in shaping the narrative.

I dismissed the notion of Zendaya being nominated even though I really enjoyed her performance on Euphoria.

I did that too. I also predicted Viola over Zendaya and got it wrong. But even you’ll agree that there was a lot of support for her on Twitter and many people there were considering here as being a more serious contender for the nomination than here.

I am not saying that if we had more POCs commenting here, we would have caught on to her getting the nomination because as you just said, you being a POC woman also thought Viola was more likely. But having more diverse voices can’t hurt no? And again, in no way does that mean that am I implying your opinion is invalid. There is literally no reason for me to do that since I have not even disagreed with anything you have said. I am just making a general point about more representation here.

ETA: Women and POC are just as fallible to missing trends. Killing Eve didn’t have the industry buzz this season, so naturally people didn’t think both actresses would make it again

Of course they are. And maybe I am speaking from own personal experience here, but as I said, I did notice support and buzz for the third season on Twitter, which is why I was wondering if having more diverse voices here could have helped us predict the show’s overperformance. In any case, the odds here too are decided by a collection of experts, editors, and user’s..the more diverse those experts and users are, the better representative those odds will be.

So again just to sum up, I was not at all dismissing or ignoring your opinion. I am just hoping for more representation in these threads than what I am seeing..which again at least on face value seems too male and too white.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Well, that is the question: How much are these nominations in the top categories lip service?

I agree that the split will be more even, but Succession does have three times as many acting nominations as Killing Eve, which could not even get core cast member Kim Bodnia after his BAFTA nomination, whereas Succession had the legs for Nicholas Braun.  So if anything can overcome vote-splitting with an almost even split, it is Succession.

Jeremy Strong is definitely more likely than Brian Cox.  Yes, “you” might individually prefer Cox, but recognize that Strong has the heat.  With his comparatively subtle performance—not like he is ever yelling “boar on the floor”—and lack of name recognition, Strong definitely had more hurdles to overcome, but he also has always had greater potential as a passion pick as such.  The Emmys are all about their “discoveries” these days.  There is such a clear parallel with Killing Eve.  The veteran won the Globe with the breakthrough snubbed, then the breakthrough got a TCA nomination with the veteran snubbed.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

As you’re a POC, you had the same blind spots that Luca had in this year’s Emmy predictions.

Of course, that’s what I told Luca too in my post. I underestimated both Zendaya and Killing Eve as well! But as you said, more diversity can only help enhance the conversations and discussions here IMO, even if it doesn’t help with our blind spots.

I for one think Billy Porter is still the most deserving, but I know I am in the minority here.

I am predicting him and I am willing to do it till the bitter end. I am convinced Cox and Strong are splitting. Porter is the incumbent winner..that’s not something you can just ignore. I saw season 2 and he was AMAZING in it, so he has the performance. He was even better in Season 2 than in Season 1. He is also a black gay actor giving one of the best performances in the category. Why should he not be the benefactor of the vote-split instead of Bateman or Carrel?

I am noticing the same thing Luca. It’s interesting to say the least.

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

Wright was excellent in the first two seasons but I hope he doesn’t win this year. Not just because he isn’t deserving but also because I don’t want this forum to rewrite history again like they did with Thandie Newton and pretend that he had a great season.

If you’re referring to season 2, Thandie Newton definitely had a great season. I think she was just as great in season 2 as she was in season 1. In fact, I think her performance in the episode she submitted and won for, “Akane no Mai” is one of, if not her best performance in the entire series. I remember rooting for Newton in season 1 when Dowd won, but I didn’t root for her in season 2 only because her competition was much stronger than it was the previous year, and there were so many great contenders in that category (I think I was rooting for Kirby), but by no means was Newton not a deserving winner. Newton has been the MVP of Westworld for every season so far, so I don’t think Wright winning this year would be comparable to when Newton won for season 2.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Voters definitely had PoC actors on their minds when casting their ballots for nominations. Will they do the same when voting for winners???

Could the winner’s list look like this?

Lead Actor: Sterling K. Brown – This is Us
    Lead Actress: Sandra Oh – Killing Eve
    Supporting Actor: Giancarlo Esposito – Better Call Saul
    Supporting Actress: Thandie Newton – Westworld
    Guest Actor: Ron Cephas Jones – This is Us
    Guest Actress: Cicely Tyson – How To Get Away With Murder

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Voters definitely had PoC actors on their minds when casting their ballots for nominations. Will they do the same when voting for winners??? Could the winner’s list look like this? Lead Actor: Sterling K. Brown – This is Us Lead Actress: Sandra Oh – Killing Eve Supporting Actor: Giancarlo Esposito – Better Call Saul Supporting Actress: Thandie Newton – Westworld Guest Actor: Ron Cephas Jones – This is Us Guest Actress: Cicely Tyson – How To Get Away With Murder

It didn’t seem to happen last year. They nominated a lot of PoC and only Billy Porter and Jharrel Jerome won. This year could be a lot different though.

Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

What episode should Julia Garner submit? She is so good in all her episodes imo. We know Linney is submitting “Fire Pink” and Bateman most likely “Boss Fight”. Maybe Garner submits the finale? Who knows! I just wish McTeer and Pelphrey were nominated as well, truly is a shame.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

She should go with “In Case of Emergency”. In this episode Ruth deals with something not nice that happened to her (trying not to give spoilers, but who watched knows).

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

It didn’t seem to happen last year. They nominated a lot of PoC and only Billy Porter and Jharrel Jerome won.

Did they nominate a lot though?  Comedy lead actress, comedy supporting actor, comedy supporting actress, comedy guest actor, drama supporting actress and short form actor had all-white lineups.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

also about a 1/3 of the performers of color nominated were from When They See Us so that cheapens it a bit

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Julia Garner as Ruth is so damn deserving of another Emmy. She is untouchable in my opinion.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

It didn’t seem to happen last year. They nominated a lot of PoC and only Billy Porter and Jharrel Jerome won. This year could be a lot different though.

This also feels slightly inflated by WTSY, which represented 30.4% of the nominated PoC actors in 2019

As compared to the show with the most nominated PoC this year (Watchmen – 4) only represents 9.09% of PoC actors nominated this year.

There were also less shows with a PoC actors nominated in 2019 as opposed to 2020

2019 – 15 shows with nominated PoC actors, 3 shows with multiple PoC nominees (top three shows make up 54% of the nominees)

When They See Us – 7
    How to Get Away with Murder – 3
    This Is Us – 3

Better Call Saul – 1
    Black Monday – 1
    Blackish – 1
    F is For Family – 1
    Killing Eve – 1
    Orange is the New Black – 1
    Pose – 1
    Saturday Night Live – 1
    Special – 1
    The Good Place – 1
    The Twilight Zone – 1
    True Detective – 1

2020 – 37 shows with nominated PoC actors, 10 show with multiple nominated PoC, (top three shows make up 22% of nominated PoC actors)

Watchmen – 4
    #FreeRayshawn – 3
    Saturday Night Live – 3

Blackish – 2
    Insecure – 2
    Ramy – 2
    The Good Place – 2
    The Mandalorian – 2
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – 2
    Westworld – 2

Better Call Saul – 1
    A Black Lady Sketch Show – 1
    Black Monday – 1
    Big Mouth – 1
    Brooklyn Nine Nine – 1
    Central Park – 1
    Crank Yankers – 1
    Euphoria – 1
    Hollywood – 1
    How to Get Away with Murder – 1
    Killing Eve – 1
    Little Fires Everywhere – 1
    Modern Love – 1
    Mrs. America – 1
    Oh Jerome, No (Cake) – 1
    Orange is the New Black – 1
    Pose – 1
    Razor Tongue – 1
    Self Made – 1
    Survive – 1
    The Handmaid’s Tale – 1
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. The Reverend – 1

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.