Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

I still have yet to understand how some of this forum have convinced themselves that Thandie’s was a bad/undeserving win. Thankfully it’s just another GD thing.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I still have yet to understand how some of this forum have convinced themselves that Thandie’s was a bad/undeserving win. Thankfully it’s just another GD thing.

Nobody’s saying it’s a bad win, but almost everyone agrees she was way better in season 1, and the latter half of 2 has her pretty out of focus, so it’s not hard to imagine her season 1 loss played a role in her win for season 2.

Personally, I’d say she should’ve won for 1, been nominated for 2, and been snubbed for 3.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Potatohead
    Topics:

Nobody’s saying it’s a bad win, but almost everyone agrees she was way better in season 1, and the latter half of 2 has her pretty out of focus, so it’s not hard to imagine her season 1 loss played a role in her win for season 2. Personally, I’d say she should’ve won for 1, been nominated for 2, and been snubbed for 3.

I was at least as impressed with Newton in season two as season one. She was a cunning badass in the first season and an absolute showstopper, but in the second season she and ERW swapped roles and it went incredibly well. Wood became the calculating Machiavellian, and Newton delivered overwhelming pathos as a mother looking for her child. Plus, the technical aspects of her work were still sublime; watch her face as she controls other hosts, those expressions do much more than the sound effects to show the audience Maeve’s powers. She didn’t have as many iconic lines, but Maeve’s meetings with Dolores, Akane, William, Ford, and Akecheta all flexed Newton’s range as both a total badass and a vulnerable, rounded character who was able to crush a monologue and carry a scene without a single word.

As for season three, she should not be near the win yikes but “The Winter Line” is good enough for at least a nomination. It’s got heaps of awesome, cunning Maeve and plenty of heartbroken, despairing Maeve too. She proves why she’s a fan favorite character again, and even though she’s completely wasted afterwards until the end (which she kills too), that episode is enough. Imo same w Gugu Mbatha-Raw, who doesn’t get much for a while but completely steals the show with “Lonely At The Top”.

Profile picture
    Potatohead
    Topics:

I think Aniston is winning for The Morning ShowThe Crown did well but missed out on so many deserving nominations (O’Connor, Lapotaire, Dance, Menzies). Maybe I’m biased bc imo Colman didn’t have the kinds of episodes that Foy did, but I don’t think her odds looked good. Ozark did much better, but the McTeer and especially Pelphrey snubs were not good. Considering they got three writing nominations but neither of them in, I’d probably bank on Aniston since The Morning Show wildly overperformed with even Duplass and Carell getting in. Aniston also won SAG, it’s clear the actors branch is very behind the show. Mbatha-Raw not getting in wasn’t great, but she was in a stacked field without the material that Pelphrey had or the screentime McTeer got. I’m not sure about the Witherspoon snub, imo she just wasn’t great and it showed but actors clearly love Aniston on the show and she’ll probably bag it.

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

I think Fiona Shaw actually has a chance to win and I would not be upset about it.

Also, if Will & Grace wins Directing, I would not be upset about it either.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I think Aniston is winning for The Morning Show. The Crown did well but missed out on so many deserving nominations (O’Connor, Lapotaire, Dance, Menzies). Maybe I’m biased bc imo Colman didn’t have the kinds of episodes that Foy did, but I don’t think her odds looked good. Ozark did much better, but the McTeer and especially Pelphrey snubs were not good. Considering they got three writing nominations but neither of them in, I’d probably bank on Aniston since The Morning Show wildly overperformed with even Duplass and Carell getting in. Aniston also won SAG, it’s clear the actors branch is very behind the show. Mbatha-Raw not getting in wasn’t great, but she was in a stacked field without the material that Pelphrey had or the screentime McTeer got. I’m not sure about the Witherspoon snub, imo she just wasn’t great and it showed but actors clearly love Aniston on the show and she’ll probably bag it.

She definitely has a lot of support and it’s perfectly plausible that TMS takes two acting prizes if Crudup does benefit from Succession vote splitting.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes, but theatre is a much less literal art form than tv. On stage you can get away with something like that, but most TV fans would find Foy playing so beyond her age ridiculous.

No I totally agree with you about the difference but what I waa trying to say was that she was PHENOMENAL in that play. I have seen many performances of that play and no one managed to bring as much depth to the role as much as Foy did. I could see (despite it possibly being a hurdle) Foy still managing to play the season 3 Queen after watching that.

I mean I guess to argue she could play the 70 year old Queen would be probably just stanning Foy a bit too much. Then again is there something called too much when it comes to Foy?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

There are going to be more black winners than just Regina King. I refuse to believe that all eight of the comedy and drama acting categories on the main telecast will be won by white actors, especially when previous winners Billy Porter and Thandie Newton are sitting right there, and when Ramy Youssef, Yvonne Orji, Zendaya, and Issa Rae are generating so much buzz.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

And there’s also Samira Wiley, who is being extremely underestimated. I get that Handmaid’s didn’t do all too well and all, but the academy clearly likes her and that performance! Whether she had a lot of screen time or not in the third season strikes me as unimportant at this point seeing how the nominations panned out. I don’t understand why people would only think Newton stands a chance as her show get one fewer acting nom than Handmaid’s and wasn’t nominated for drama series. Both Newton and Wiley are past winners — the latter for guest, of course.

My real hope is that this “benefits” (god, I hate using that word in this context) Cicely Tyson. She’s a LEGEND. Phylicia Rashad is certainly overdue for that Emmy, but I can’t help but hope that voters see Tyson’s name and check her off. This woman is acting her ass off at 95 — I mean, come on!

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Vice Wicked
    Topics:

If you’re referring to season 2, Thandie Newton definitely had a great season. I think she was just as great in season 2 as she was in season 1. In fact, I think her performance in the episode she submitted and won for, “Akane no Mai” is one of, if not her best performance in the entire series. I remember rooting for Newton in season 1 when Dowd won, but I didn’t root for her in season 2 only because her competition was much stronger than it was the previous year, and there were so many great contenders in that category (I think I was rooting for Kirby), but by no means was Newton not a deserving winner. Newton has been the MVP of Westworld for every season so far, so I don’t think Wright winning this year would be comparable to when Newton won for season 2.

I was rooting for Vanessa Kirby too, but it was a bloodbath in Supporting Actress that year. Kirby certainly deserves to have won that year for The Crown and her episode Beryl. But I wouldn’t say Thandie Newton didn’t deserve that. She was my second best in that category that year and I love her work in Westworld season 2 the same as her performance in season 1 where she should have won over Ann Dowd. I haven’t seen the third season yet but I will soon and glad that she still got a nomination this year. She has been my consistently favorite character in the series.

Also regarding Westworld, with 11 nominations, how the hell it missed at a Drama series nod from Stranger Things with only 8?

On Jeffrey Wright, I thought he should have been nominated and won for the fourth season of Boardwalk Empire.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The buzz around Newton after “Akane No Mai” was insane. I heard a number of people sing her praises when talking about the supp. actress race, repeatedly mentioning how she aced that Japanese dialect. That was a terrific episode for her — and she had other great episodes that season. But because the majority of users here had moved on, they chalk up her triumph to being a make-up win. I was fully on team Strahovski that year, but I never think it’s fair to say someone won exclusively for their preceding season — how do we know why voters checked them off?

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Cicely Tyson.

I don’t know how you don’t vote for her. She is a living legend and we are so lucky to have her still gracing us with her talent.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I have Steve Carell, partly to keep things interesting until the Creative Arts.  Say that Succession splits.  I do not want to predict Billy Porter because Pose fell out of series.  My plan was to predict Jason Bateman, but I anticipated that Ozark would do better in acting nominations and I did not anticipate Porter being nominated again.  It is hard to justify him leapfrogging.

There are a couple of things that I like about Steve Carell as a contender.  One is just that he is truly respected at this point.  There is consensus that Bateman and Carell are overshadowed by Laura Linney and Jennifer Aniston, but Carell compensates with esteem.  Nobody is looking down on him the way that Aniston is known for romantic comedies and tabloid appearances.  Carell is an Oscar nominee who can bravely play against type in The Morning Show, while leading a blockbuster farce the same season.  But all of this is just context to justify him having potential to be in that upset position instead of just being someone who can be written off easily.

What actually puts him in the upset position for me is that nobody is choosing between The Morning Show and Succession.  Nobody is going to have a tough time choosing between Carell and Strong.  People voting Strong would probably rank Carell last and people who are enamoured with The Morning Show are probably the least likely to be fans of Succession.  That is the pitfall of the plurality vote.  Vote-splits cater to a minority.

When people were talking about what a vote-split between Lena Headey and Maisie Williams would mean, the beneficiaries being floated were Fiona Shaw and Julia Garner, not Gwendoline Christie.  When Game of Thrones split in directing the year before, it did not just go to a different genre hit in Stranger Things; the winner was The Crown, which had totally different sensibilities.  When Veep kept splitting in writing, directing and editing, it did not just go to the other HBO satire Silicon Valley that the Veep voters were presumably always bringing along for the ride as their second choice during nominating. The winners were instead AtlantaCrazy Ex-GirlfriendMaster of None and Transparent.

Most relevantly, when a melodramatic network hit (This is Us) was splitting in this category two years ago, the beneficiary was at the other end of the spectrum (The Americans).  The win did not split the difference and go to Ozark and Westworld, which had more prestige than This is Us, but less critical acclaim than The Americans.  My theory this year is that it has flipped.  The double nominee that would win on a preferential ballot is the critical darling; the beneficiary will be the melodrama.

The above is based more on the tones of the shows; if you want to go by subject matter, then The Morning Show and Succession are very much on the same territory and Pose is not.

Profile picture
    Vice Wicked
    Topics:

The buzz around Newton after “Akane No Mai” was insane. I heard a number of people sing her praises when talking about the supp. actress race, repeatedly mentioning how she aced that Japanese dialect. That was a terrific episode for her — and she had other great episodes that season. But because the majority of users here had moved on, they chalk up her triumph to being a make-up win. I was fully on team Strahovski that year, but I never think it’s fair to someone won for their preceding season — how do we know why voters checked them off?

I thought the buzz for Kirby that year was louder. But yes, I’ve read and heard praises for Newton in Akane No Mai, my favorite and thought it’s arguably the second best Westworld episode so far.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

What actually puts him in the upset position for me is that nobody is choosing between The Morning Show and Succession.  Nobody is going to have a tough time choosing between Carell and Strong.  People voting Strong would probably rank Carell last and people who are enamoured with The Morning Show are probably the least likely to be fans of Succession.  That is the pitfall of the plurality vote.  Vote-splits cater to a minority.

Except no one is actually ranking them, right? Not on the ballot, at least. The way I see it, considering how well Succession did, it’s either Cox or Strong even with vote-splitting. Say both get a certain percentage of the votes. As both of them are the biggest (and maybe only) frontrunners in the category, I don’t see a third option coming closely behind them. For example, each gets around 30% of the votes. Technically, we can get a different winner, but I doubt Porter or  Carell or someone else gets more than 30% since the remaining 40% would be split between the other four.

Which sounds crazy, I know, but it’s the slate of nominees that would lead to this. The thing is to find out who prevails – Cox or Strong. Even if they actually get hurt by vote-splitting, I would go with Porter or even Brown over Carell.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.