Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Jokes aside I find it unlikely that The Morning Show will win two acting awards The Handmaid’s Tale and Breaking Bad were the last drama series to do it and they swept so that’s why I’m going with Linney and Crudup.

I agree but I am more uneasy on Crudup because I think that Aniston since the SAG win has become even more seen as the face and the performance of the show that I’d find it strange for him to win without her doing so.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I agree but I have no idea who else could win supporting actor he just seems like the most likely right now.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Jokes aside I find it unlikely that The Morning Show will win two acting awards The Handmaid’s Tale and Breaking Bad were the last drama series to do it

which is why zendaya is coming

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

I had Anniston since nominations day but switched with Linney because for me she have the best performance on the category, but Anniston show have more actors support in terms of nominations. Probably I will switch their positions a few more times, with Zendaya prepared to attack in any moment lol (actually can see a path for any of the contenders)

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I had Anniston since nominations day but switched with Linney because for me she have the best performance on the category, but Anniston show have more actors support in terms of nominations.

so you’re basically inserting your personal opinion into predictions lol. from what you’re saying, aniston would be a more logical prediction.

Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

which is why zendaya is coming

That’s not Zendaya, it’s JLo (who’s more than twice Zendaya’s age).

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I think everyone knows that.

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

Kinda shocked people are still predicting Olivia Colman to win. I thought we were over this.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Going back to the discussion yesterday about how well Ozark did outside of acting, please check out my article from a few days ago that articulates and analyzes all of that.  Ironically, Succession could very much be the When They See Us to Ozark‘s Chernobyl.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

i didn’t say it was

Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

The TV Academy doesn’t like Colman as much as HFPA, Oscars do. Alot of people were predicting her last year for her role in Fleabag since she had just won the Oscar but no win there.

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

I’m getting very worried Succession is gonna become the new mad men. Very successful as a writing vehicle, and the actors will keep getting nominated, but just none of them win because they’re just not the style of performance that usually wins and it’s kind of seen as a writer first. I’m pretty sure Jon Hamm was the frontrunner his first nomination too.

Cox is definitely giving a bigger performance than anyone on Mad Men ever really did so I’m still gonna stick with him I think, but I could see it becoming that for years and its a bummer

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

Kinda shocked people are still predicting Olivia Colman to win. I thought we were over this.

Lol the trashing of her performance is OTT on this forum but I guess that’s GD for you. Almost hilarious how incensed some are on here whenever her name is mentioned when she herself appears completely unbothered by this Emmy season and is instead busy raising money with PWB to disburse to UK theater folks who are out of work

I can see neutrals voting for her.

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

I’m predicting an Olivia Colman win with utmost confidence.

This whole talk of ATAS not liking her is ridiculous and far from the truth. She has 3 Emmy nominations in Drama, Comedy and the Limited Series fields.

And her not being able to win an Emmy up to now is also a very contrived stance to take against her, seeing as she was beat in both her previous races by two previous Emmy winners in their categories winning their second consecutive Emmys for their roles (Borstein and King). Those same people spewing this notion wouldn’t dare say 12 time Emmy nominated and still Emmy-less Sandra Oh isn’t liked by ATAS, which makes this widely predicted “upset” people are predicting for her just weird. Colman was in no way the favorite (😂) to win Comedy Supporting Actress last year.

The same way Claire Foy was able to win her Emmy, is the same way Olivia Colman will do it. With the biggest and most prominent role in the category, an Emmy award-winning role, in a show they obviously LOVE, and she is going into this ceremony with acclaim for her performance and hardware to match: A Golden Globe win and a SAG Ensemble win for the show. Love for the role, love for the performance and love for the actress portraying the role. Her Oscar winner lable has very little to do with it.

People on here acting as if The Crown is somehow now frowned upon by Emmy voters because it missed out on a few acting nominations. With its 13 Emmy nominations, including a double citation in Directing, which it won just two years ago (the year Foy won her award). Colman and Helen Bonham Carter were the clear standout performances from the season, and are the only actors from the show to receive awards traction for their performances. A few acting snubs is hugely detrimental for Olivia Colman but a widely predicted Supporting Actor winner getting snubbed for Ozark somehow helps Laura Linney substantially? Or as this board’s bias shows, doesn’t affect Linney at all it seems. Please stop.

I swear the same people who are now talking about The Crown like this are the same ones who for years underestimated Downton Abbey’s run at the Emmys, and the love Emmy voters have for their British period dramas. If y’all somehow think The Crown is going home empty handed this year, good luck.

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

Going back to the discussion yesterday about how well Ozark did outside of acting, please check out my article from a few days ago that articulates and analyzes all of that. Ironically, Succession could very much be the When They See Us to Ozark‘s Chernobyl.

I don’t know that I necessarily agree that Succession could be the When They See Us to Ozark‘s Chernobyl.

For one, it’s not that Succession simply has strong acting support but it also has good odds at actually winning drama writing and possibly even directing as well because they chose to limit the amount of episodes they submitted in those categories on purpose. It’s mentioned that Ozark got 3(!) episodes in for writing, but when you actually compare it to Succession head-to-head, Succession only submitted the single episode in the first place, so it’s honestly unclear to say that Ozark has much superior writing support. (In fact, I honestly think that had they submitted more episodes than just “This is Not For Tears”, they would have gotten in, e.g. Tern Haven (WGA winner) or Hunting etc. but that’s obviously an assumption).

Furthermore, Chernobyl didn’t have any egregious acting nomination snubs (to my memory) last year and even got in Stellan Skarsgard who was 7th in the prediction odds. On the other hand, Tom Pelprey for Ozark was not only slated to get the nomination but a lot of pundits seemed to see him winning the category as long as he got in (seriously sad snub but that’s another discussion altogether). The Janet McTeer snub was not as surprising personally, but she was also rather high on the prediction odds (7th), so that could still be considered somewhat unexpected.

Yes, When They See Us over-performed in acting nominations but when it came to winning the other writing/directing races, it was actually quite close with Chernobyl, which itself was 1st in writing and 2nd in directing for the odds. On the other hand, I don’t think it’s particularly close this year with Succession almost certainly winning writing and the other true frontrunner for directing being the Crown for its Aberfan episode, not Ozark.

Otherwise, other crafts snubs you mention for Succession don’t alarm me too much because I don’t think they make that much of a difference. A cinematography snub is not surprising considering the much more showy nominees with greater set pieces who made it in (Westworld, The Crown, Ozark and its ~dark blue~, Maisel, etc.). Unlike When They See Us missing Editing completely, Succession still got the Editing nom (for 2 episodes). Succession missed Sound (unsurprisingly imo), but both Chernobyl and When They See Us got sound noms last year, so again, the comparison to those two applying to Ozark vs. Succession doesn’t make much sense to me.

Basically, I can still see a path for Ozark to win over Succession (I’m thinking more about the recency of Ozark S3), but I don’t think the path is necessarily going to be like When They See us vs. Chernobyl since that comparison really isn’t the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.