Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

While there will be vote split between Succession actors, I would assume Nicholas Braun would get almost no votes right? This is just wishful thinking.

Braun reminds me of Ricky Martin in that we think no one will vote for him — but we truly don’t know. I think Culkin is Macfadyen’s “problem” (for the lack of a better word). The majority of the GD bubble prefers Macfadyen by a country mile, but as I have said, I have seen a lot of Culkin fans elsewhere.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Anna Gunn has only won 2 times, and for the final parts of Breaking Bad, how was she owning her category?

I know Maggie Smith traumatized Lena Headey’s stans, but she has only won 3 times and not even consecutively. Let’s not rewrite history and pretend she kept repeating for years. Same thing for Aaron, only 3 non consecutive wins. Furthermore, they (and Anna Gunn) won under the previous system.

The only one that fits what you are saying is Dinklage.

I don’t know what part of “Repeat winners” didn’t click with you, or where in my post did I even mention the word “consecutively”. But I’ll say it again. Repeat winners. As in they repeated their wins. Once, sometimes 4 times. Regardless what voting system was used. Or which season they were awarded for.

Come on now

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

Braun reminds me of Ricky Martin in that we think no one will vote for him — but we truly don’t know. I think Culkin is Macfadyen’s “problem” (for the lack of a better word). The majority of the GD bubble prefers Macfadyen by a country mile, but as I have said, I have seen a lot of Culkin fans elsewhere.

I like the Ricky Martin comparison. It’s a nomination that shows the voters’ passion, but ultimately shouldn’t affect the outcome of that category.

I’m sure it’s already been said, but I’m also intrigued by the idea that voters will have compared Culkin and Macfadyen across both seasons like we theorised would happen with the Fleabag supporting actresses.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I’m sure it’s already been said, but I’m also intrigued by the idea that voters will have compared Culkin and Macfadyen across both seasons like we theorised would happen with the Fleabag supporting actresses.

Macfadyen was stronger in both seasons, so the Clifford-Colman comparison isn’t perfect. I think Roman is a more popular character than Tom though.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

It’s like asking why a show like Fleabag didn’t get a Comedy Half Hour Sound Mixing nomination last year. It’s ridiculous, because what Sound Mixing heavy work could possibly be nominated for a show like Fleabag? What lack of support could a miss in Sound Mixing possibly prove for Fleabag?

Funny you mention this because Fleabag not only managed to get nominated but win (ugh) the corresponding guild award for sound mixing. I’m pretty certain given some more time with the Emmys, it would have been nominated there as well so…

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

So not believing she can win it’s trashing now.

…theres a comment posted just yesterday in this thread describing Colman as having no talent.

Bordering on wilfully blind if one can’t see the intensity of some of the comments directed at her performance in here, especially when the main purpose is to argue she will not win?

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

So what is everyone’s take on Supporting Actor? With Pelphery snubbed, I am kind of trying to figure out which way to go.

Right now, I’m going with the SAG nominee Billy Crudip, especially since Succession is definitely splitting the vote here. But I am wondering if Esposito or Wright can pull an upset here. I unfortunately don’t see a path for Whitford or Duplass here.

Also predicting Crudup at the moment. I doubt that Duplass takes that many votes away from him, if any. I think Culkin can overcome the “Succession” vote-split, especially if both seasons of work are taken into account. Whitford’s show is on a perceived decline, so even being last year’s guest actor winner might not help him much now. As I mentioned earlier, we have to take both Esposito and Wright seriously here, since history can be made with the first black winner the category has ever had. It’s horribly egregious on the television Academy’s part, which would also be a great “pat themselves on the back” sort of moment for them to say, “look how much we support BLM!” I’ve moved both men up in my predictions in light of this.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

I feel like Culkin and Macfadyen splitting and SAG-nominee Crudup taking it makes the most sense. I don’t see Duplass being a threat to Crudup,I don’t think fans of the show would prefer him over Crudup. Esposito I don’t think is a threat because Better Call Saul is a no1curr, I think he’s more propable in Guest Actor.

Profile picture
    Praise the Lourd
    Topics:

Macfadyen was stronger in both seasons, so the Clifford-Colman comparison isn’t perfect. I think Roman is a more popular character than Tom though.

This is what makes me think that Macfadyen and Culkin will vote-split. I’ve literally seen every version of this statement (Tom is more likeable than Roman, Culkin is better than Macfadyen etc.). It’s not as clear-cut as Crudup vs. Duplass. And with Braun complicating things further… I don’t feel that Succession is taking this one.

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

Ben Mendelsohn happened a few years ago, and that’s why I believe Wright and Esposito can surprise.

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

theres a comment posted just yesterday in this thread describing Colman as having no talent. Bordering on wilfully blind if one can’t see the intensity of some of the comments directed at her performance in here, especially when the main purpose is to argue she will not win?

Then you should have quoted that one. I don’ t think that and I’ve never said that.

Profile picture
    Nate
    Topics:

Yeah, with no fresh new Pelphrey or O’Connor, long-standing Banks, old reliable Harbour, or last chance Patinkin, this Dinklage-less category is probably the most wide-open now post-nominations. While conventional wisdom appears to say that it’s probably between Crudup and Culkin, I’ve listed Whitford to win primarily because he’s the best known and he and the show already have a strong record of winning.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Jeffrey Wright getting nominations for Supporting, then Lead, now Supporting again just proves the guy is highly respected and has a huge fan base within the Television Academy. And with everyone and their momma complaining that he either didn’t do anything this season to he got that nomination for that “one scene”, and yet still grabbed a coveted nomination, tells me he’s getting votes. A lot of votes. With a category that doesn’t have a clear front-runner and possible vote splitting playing a role, I believe he could be the beneficiary.

I think you’re reading too much into a simple name check.

And this category does have a frontrunner in the form of SAG nominee Billy Crudup.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

While there will be vote split between Succession actors, I would assume Nicholas Braun would get almost no votes right? This is just wishful thinking.

I’m pretty sure the vote-split (if there is one), will be between MacFadyen and Culkin. I don’t consider Nicholas Braun a threat at all. I hope that doesn’t bite me in the butt.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

This is what makes me think that Macfadyen and Culkin will vote-split. I’ve literally seen every version of this statement (Tom is more likeable than Roman, Culkin is better than Macfadyen etc.). It’s not as clear-cut as Crudup vs. Duplass. And with Braun complicating things further… I don’t feel that Succession is taking this one.

Roman is definitely a more popular character than Tom (both of them are written to be unlikable, which is different from popularity), but Tom requires more complexity – which Matthew expertly handles. The issue is that some people struggle to separate performance from character.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.