Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 513 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

She is not due to win anything just because she is HBC. Give a win worthy performance first.

How can you watch this season of the Crown and say she doesn’t give an outstanding performance

Helenas so underrated and you can’t say that she doesn’t deserve at least one single award for this season of The Crown.

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Sandra Oh & Fiona Shaw, Cicely Tyson

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing & directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

*How the hell were Merritt Wever and Rose Byrne snubbed

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I’ve always thought that Helena’s material being so spread out wasn’t going to do her any favors her screen time is basically non existent from episodes 3-9.

I would say more like 5-9. She has amazing scenes in both “Aberfan” and “Bubbikins”, specially in the former. But I don’t think we should use her screentime against her. I mean the performance is still there and it’s an amazing one.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Just because you disagree doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed to have that opinion (in response to Gabarnes).

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

My PERSONAL WINNERS out of the nominees (not my PREDICTIONS FOR WINNERS!):

there is a thread just for this..

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I’m no longer so confident about Laura Linney. People voting for her depends on them having seen the whole season. If Pelphrey had been nominated, I think she’d be a shoo-in, but his snub means that they likely didn’t see his best material in episodes 8 and 9, which means they didn’t see hers. Aniston benefits from having her best showcase (the conference room scene) early on, episode three if I’m remembering right, and Zendaya is phenomenal from episode one. Linney’s success all hinges on if the actors have watched the entire season or not, and unfortunately it’s not looking like they have. I’m still keeping her in my first slot, because I’m confident pretty much everyone who has seen “Fire Pink” and “All In” will vote for her, but Aniston (and I’d argue even Zendaya) seem pretty neck-in-neck with her.

Also, Helena Bonham Carter would be SUCH a worthy win. She may not have had the screen time, but she was absolutely incredible. My personal pick would be Dern, but since she already has a trophy for this role, I’m rooting for Carter.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I will be devastated if Linney loses this. I don’t think I’ve seen a performance this perfect in quite a while. Imagine being able to win four Emmys but being unable to win for your best performance.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

there is a thread just for this..

My bad!

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

Pelphrey’s snub is troubling, but Linney is an Emmy favorite and gives an incredible performance with a lot of buzz, so I still think she’ll take it. I’m thinking of starting Euphoria soon, so I should get an idea of Zendaya’s chances before too long.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

There’s not a frontrunner for lead drama actress as much as people on this board want Laura Linney to win. It could still be between Aniston and Coleman like before and we’re just overestimating Linney.

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

Yeah, I am predicting Anniston because Pelphrey and McTeer snubs hurt Linney chances in my eyes. But this category is wide open, the only one that I think it can’t win is Comer. Cheering for Linney or Zendaya!

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

In all truth, the only thing Linney really has going for her is the performance. I thought Pelphrey and McTeer nominations would demonstrate passion for the show from the acting branch but clearly I overestimated that. I have doubts over whether that will be enough, especially as Ozark’s fan base skews male.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I’m thinking of starting Euphoria soon, so I should get an idea of Zendaya’s chances before too long.

Please do watch Euphoria! It’s a very divisive and controversial show, but I think it’s the most well-made and technically stunning show on TV right now. If it’s not your thing I totally get it, but worth a try!

And I think Zendaya’s chances are VERY high. Even if she doesn’t win this year, I do think she’ll get a trophy for this role eventually a la Maslany. Not everyone may have seen the show, and not everyone may like it or respect it, but her nomination (and its impressive showing below the line) shows that it has much more respect than I think anyone expected. And like Linney, I think anyone who’s seen her show will almost definitely vote for Zendaya. Is that audience big enough to push her over to a win? I don’t know, but the passion for her is through the roof, much more so than any other nominee (except for maybe Oh), and a lot of acting wins last year were very passion-based, so who knows…

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

That being said, the number of acting noms for a show isn’t the be-all and end-all of someone’s chances. Take Rami Malek, who won despite Christian Slater egregiously missing and House of Cards bagging eight acting noms that year, which would lead you to believe that Spacey would easily win over him. No one would have thought that voters would watch Mr. Robot S1 and only check off Malek. In the end, it had no bearing on his winning chances though. Maybe McTeer and Pelphrey were only an internet thing.

Also, voting for the nominations and for the winner are two entirely different processes. The unlimited slots allow for someone truly deserving to miss for namechecks while there’s no room for that when it comes to the winner.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Maybe McTeer and Pelphrey were only an internet thing.

Even so, it’s still inexplicable that they missed if Ozark truly was supported by actors to the extent that we thought it was. Pelphrey’s performance definitely transcended the internet, while McTeer is such a renowned name in the industry (albeit not with Emmy voters historically) and also got buzz in the print press. They can’t just be written off as internet hype. You’re right about the voting system though.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I think that not enough actors had seen this season of Ozark, at least not all of it,  when they submitted their ballots and they just name-checked the 3 people who had been previously nominated.

I still have Laura Linney winning because if they watched Fire Pink, in my eyes, there’s no way she loses. Although, I used to say the same thing about Tom and he didn’t even get nominated, which means they didn’t watch.

However, if anyone is going to win over Laura, I have a feeling it’s going to be Zendaya. I have seen tons of actors rallying for her online, and she could very well win out of all the buzz and passion for her performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.