Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Allow me to be the first haha

Really?! May I ask why?! I just find it intersting tbh. I thought the finale was a mess. But If you prefer it, good then. 😁

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With Directing I won’t make a final choice until I see who wins Casting. That’s my same thinking with Directing on the Comedy side (then again I can easily see a scenario where Ramy Youseff still wins Directing if any of InsecureMaisel or Schitt’s wins casting and/or Series).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Really?! May I ask why?! I just find it intersting tbh. I thought the finale was a mess. But If you prefer it, good then. 😁

The finale is fantastic to me; a taut, bombastic depiction of the messy breakdown of a marriage. “Aberfan” is just a very well made biopic. It’s very well written and very entertaining but there’s nothing stylistically interesting or surprising about the way the story is told.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I have it in front of Succession, but it’s not like Ozark defeated The Crown last year in Directing, and Aberfan is a directing showcase. So that’s my rationale. I’m basically choosing the 2018 winner over the 2019 winner because it’s a better directing showcase. But I can easily be convinced to switch to Fire Pink.

My thing is that I get that The Crown defeated Ozark the one time that they faced off (and could have won last year), but that was when The Crown had thirteen nominations to Ozark‘s five (or nine).  Whereas The Crown has been consistent in Emmy support, getting the exact same number of nominations every season, I would say that the first two seasons of Ozark and the third season are totally different beasts: Ozark 3 > The CrownOzark 1/2.  As for “Aberfan” being a better directing showcase, I just do not think that that matters much at all.  That argument was used a lot for “ronny/lily” over Fleabag.  This is also why I am more sympathetic to Succession predictions, since it could just sweep.  Nobody is considering The Crown for the series win, albeit everyone else is predicting Helena Bonham Carter, so they are expecting it to be a bigger player overall than I am.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think “Cri de Coeur” is a great episode on its own, but it’s not a great closer to the season — but that’s just me. That said, knowing the directors’ branch, I, too, don’t see why they’d go for that over “Aberfan.” Then again, do the episodes matter? It’s why I am predicting Lesli Linka Glatter!

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The finale is fantastic to me; a taut, bombastic depiction of the messy breakdown of a marriage. “Aberfan” is just a very well made biopic. It’s very well written and very entertaining but there’s nothing stylistically interesting or surprising about the way the story is told.

Thats an intersting take. And I totally respect your opinion. I loved “Aberfan”. I was hooked from the beginning and it was extremely emotional imo. But I totally understand if it did nothing to you.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I better find out before I interview the director next week.  Also interviewing Alik Sakharov and Jessica Hobbs then.

I have already talked to Lesli Linka Glatter this season, so that is half the category.

With Directing I won’t make a final choice until I see who wins Casting. That’s my same thinking with Directing on the Comedy side (then again I can easily see a scenario where Ramy Youseff still wins Directing if any of Insecure, Maisel or Schitt’s wins casting and/or Series).

I forgot to factor Ramy‘s casting snub into my directing prediction for it, so I will have to think that over.

I do. A bit childish to say this. Is this your attempt to get people to gang up on me? You should read my posts if you’re confused. It’s pretty clear I feel he’s a name-check.

Sorry, it was meant to be a playful tease, like my post about how unhelpful Luca’s post was in clarifying the episode.  You both just took my words at face value though, so I guess that that is on me.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Sorry, it was meant to be a playful tease, like my post about how unhelpful Luca’s post was in clarifying the episode. You both just took my words at face value though, so I guess that that is on me.

No worries. It’s hard to fully understand someone through text.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I do think The Crown takes directing, it won last time it was elegible and Aberfan is seen as a directorial masterpiece. Most people’s favourite episode of the season.

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Killing Eve in all categories, HBC, Cicely Tyson, The Crown in directing

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing and directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

FYC OSCARS- Amy Adams

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I think Succession needs to win directing just for that scene between Cox and Strong everything about it was phenomenal.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I love that Mark Mylod and Matt Shakman directed back to back on both Game of Thrones Season 7 and Succession Season 2! Of course only Mylod is nominated for Succession, but it’s still nice (he should have been nominated for “Thrones'” “Stormborn,” but he submitted “The Queen’s Justice” instead).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I do think The Crown takes directing, it won last time it was elegible and Aberfan is seen as a directorial masterpiece. Most people’s favourite episode of the season.

If we’re to say The Crown will win because it won for its last season then with that logic Ozark and Maisel are locks for directing in their categories.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

I love that Mark Mylod and Matt Shakman directed back to back on both Game of Thrones Season 7 and Succession Season 2! Of course only Mylod is nominated for Succession, but it’s still nice (he should have been nominated for “Thrones’” “Stormborn,” but he submitted “The Queen’s Justice” instead).

Still shocks me that Shakman wasn’t nominated at the Emmys for ” The Spoils of War”.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Awful snub. Especially in favor of “Beyond the Wall,” which had major issues. Name always prevails though, unfortunately.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Still shocks me that Shakman wasn’t nominated at the Emmys for ” The Spoils of War”.

He should’ve won.

Let’s Go Bucks

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.