Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

Just going out on a limb: Cox and Strong probably will vote spilt. That weird voting trend with Lead Actor going to someone in their freshman or final season could help Carell.

If Malek wasn’t robbed for a farewell nomination and win for Mr. Robot…

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

In all truth, the only thing Linney really has going for her is the performance. I thought Pelphrey and McTeer nominations would demonstrate passion for the show from the acting branch but clearly I overestimated that. I have doubts over whether that will be enough, especially as Ozark’s fan base skews male.

I disagree: It doesn’t skew male. It doesn’t skew anything. It’s all over the map.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Snook over HBC isn’t an upset at this point

I agree. Snook is the frontrunner imo and HBC is the one who would be the upset.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I know what I’m about to say might be unpopular, but I don’t think Drama Supporting Actress has a frontrunner nor I think it will have one. People can come up with narratives and personal opinions, but this category is way open. Like I said, this category seems to be a 4 horse race and by that I mean Sarah, Helena, Julia and Fiona. All of the four can easily win. I think some people jump into conclusions way to soon and I have a feeling this category is set up for a surprise.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know what I’m about to say might be unpopular, but I don’t think Drama Supporting Actress has a frontrunner nor I think it will have one. People can come up with narratives and personal opinions, but this category is way open. Like I said, this category seems to be a 4 horse race and by that I mean Sarah, Helena, Julia and Fiona. All of the four can easily win. I think some people jump into conclusions way to soon and I have a feeling this category is set up for a surprise.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

However, if anyone is going to win over Laura, I have a feeling it’s going to be Zendaya. I have seen tons of actors rallying for her online, and she could very well win out of all the buzz and passion for her performance.

That’s the thing… I don’t know about public actor support of the other actresses, but Linney doesn’t seem to have many actor buddies, or celebs in general, who are compelled to sing her praises on social media.

And while that’s not necessarily an indication of actor support, I’ve long wondered if she is “popular” enough to overcome Aniston and Colman’s fame. And the same definitely goes for Zendaya.

Linney’s not one of the cool kids, but then again, she’s not really trying to be.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Linney’s won four other Emmys, so I don’t think popularity is a problem for her.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also does social media really matter that much? I mean yes Regina King praising Jeremy Pope and only tagging in Holland Taylor and Jim Parsons should have easily told us that they were getting nominated (or at least the Hollywood actors ahead) but let’s not forget every actor possible was praising Tom Pelphrey on social media and he missed. With Pelphrey I remember warning people because he reminded me so much of Richard Madden last year (who people thought because of him having a cultural moment and being talked about a lot that he would win).

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

Thandie Newton being a new Peter Dinklage and winning for all Westworld seasons from now.

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Linney’s won four other Emmys, so I don’t think popularity is a problem for her.

Everyone keeps saying that, but her last Emmy was in 2013. Not only was it apparently a different era of voting, but we are in a completely different era of what constitutes “buzz.”

I’d love to think she’s highly respected across the board, because I certainly think she’s worthy of that treatment. But I’m not seeing how her wins in completely different categories that long ago means she’s a lock.

She’s not active on social media, and like I said, no major celebrities really gave her kudos online. I do think that matters in this day and age, for better or worse.

Also does social media really matter that much? … let’s not forget every actor possible was praising Tom Pelphrey on social media and he missed.

That’s a good point about Pelphrey. I guess I just wonder about the constant name-check conversation. Enough people name-checked Oh and Comer, though most would agree that they didn’t have the material.

At this point, if it’s just about popularity of names and not about the material — and if people aren’t even watching the shows in contention — than the more notable someone is may be a bigger factor than we’d like to admit.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Thandie Newton being a new Peter Dinklage and winning for all Westworld seasons from now.

To be honest she’s the only part of that show that is actually still watchable or consistently awards worthy

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Newton was robbed for season one, but please no.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

Well, that was the entire point of her being the new Peter Dinklage…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Everyone keeps saying that, but her last Emmy was in 2013. Not only was it apparently a different era of voting, but we are in a completely different era of what constitutes “buzz.” I’d love to think she’s highly respected across the board, because I certainly think she’s worthy of that treatment. But I’m not seeing how her wins in completely different categories that long ago means she’s a lock. She’s not active on social media, and like I said, no major celebrities really gave her kudos online. I do think that matters in this day and age, for better or worse.

Yeah but it’s not like people can’t win Emmys because they don’t have social media. I mean Claire Foy won without any SoMe activity at all.

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Thandie Newton would make a super fun new Peter Dinklage. Now she just needs to be on a show that’ll give her good material (again).

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.