Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 513 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

Well, that was the entire point of her being the new Peter Dinklage…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Everyone keeps saying that, but her last Emmy was in 2013. Not only was it apparently a different era of voting, but we are in a completely different era of what constitutes “buzz.” I’d love to think she’s highly respected across the board, because I certainly think she’s worthy of that treatment. But I’m not seeing how her wins in completely different categories that long ago means she’s a lock. She’s not active on social media, and like I said, no major celebrities really gave her kudos online. I do think that matters in this day and age, for better or worse.

Yeah but it’s not like people can’t win Emmys because they don’t have social media. I mean Claire Foy won without any SoMe activity at all.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Thandie Newton would make a super fun new Peter Dinklage. Now she just needs to be on a show that’ll give her good material (again).

Profile picture
    olivercromwell
    Topics:

I’m sorry to say, but that actor who played his replacement is a poor fit for the role. So I’d be surprised if they kept him on.

I’m confused. Is there a joke I’m missing?

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Yeah but it’s not like people can’t win Emmys because they don’t have social media. I mean Claire Foy won without any SoMe activity at all.

Yes, but she had MAJOR social media buzz if memory serves.

And again, even making comparisons to a couple years ago doesn’t work because of how wonky this season has become.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes, but she had MAJOR social media buzz if memory serves. And again, even making comparisons to a couple years ago doesn’t work because of how wonky this season has become.

Yeah but so does Laura Linney…

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

I’m confused. Is there a joke I’m missing?

I didn’t care for Desean Terry’s portrayal of Daniel, and I think he was supremely miscast.

Profile picture
    olivercromwell
    Topics:

I didn’t care for Desean Terry’s portrayal of Daniel, and I think he was supremely miscast.

Ooooh. I thought you were implying you had seen some actor they had hired to replace Steve Carell in season two and didn’t like him.

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Yeah but so does Laura Linney…

Not more than Aniston or Zendaya, if I’m speaking objectively. And again, I’m referring to fellow actor support on Twitter, primarily, and Instagram, secondarily.

Yeah, Pelphrey got a ton of support from industry leaders like Regina King, Ava DuVernay and others. For whatever reason, I’m guessing his name was forgotten when people did their unlimited ballot selections. He’s not a “name,” and he truly didn’t get the push from Netflix that he deserved, so there may be a ton of actors kicking themselves for forgetting about him.

With Linney, I can now see a ton of voters assuming — with that same lazy thinking everyone’s applied here — that she’s got plenty of support from the academy. So maybe they decide to give Aniston, Colman or Zendaya an opportunity, regardless of the actual work and without watching their standout episodes.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I was going to say that unknown actors have a way bigger chance of getting nominated in the limited series categories for whatever reason but it’s probably because there is way less contenders and so they can’t just name check multiple nominees most of the time.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

A difference is that in limited series they can’t just name-check the nominees form previous years as some of this year’s nominees in drama were.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Thandie Newton being a new Peter Dinklage and winning for all Westworld seasons from now.

Doubt it. When Dinklage kept winning, his show was still popular.

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

A difference is that in limited series they can’t just name-check the nominees form previous years as some of this year’s nominees in drama were.

That’s what annoys me the most… The obvious name checks from last year in a variety of categories.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m not rooting for this to happen but imagine that we started off thinking she was going to win and then stopped thinking she would after watching her programme and the winter awards and then she ends up winning Supporting Actress LMAO.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

We need to stop factoring in the internet so much; it’s led us to predict many wrong winners and nominees. Again, most of these academy members probably don’t even lurk around on Twitter or Facebook. Jennifer Aniston and Zendaya being more popular on the internet – let’s not forget why that’s the caee – does not put them ahead of Linney.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.