Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 513 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
wolfali
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

All due respect, but The F*cking Mandalorian got a Best Drama Series nomination. This is not a normal situation. Lol

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Thandie Newton being a new Peter Dinklage and winning for all Westworld seasons from now.

Now that’s a conversation this board is not ready to have. I can definitely see a Thandie Newton win coming. Not going to predict it, but I sense the voting body being very “aware” of the times this year.

Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Moving Newton up to second!  I do not think that The Crown has enough passion this time and I do not see Sarah Snook as giving the kind of performance that the Emmys would award.

If Helena doesn’t win the emmy, then that means she won’t win a single award for The Crown, which is just unacceptable

She can win next season in theory.

Why is “Black Mirror” considered a drama series? I get the rules change about not being considered movies anymore, but isn’t this franchise built on non-recurring characters, and not recurring characters? What part of this am I missing? Why not change to limited series?

The academy now wants Limited Series just to be miniseries and pseudo-miniseries, i.e. seasonal anthologies.  Episodic anthologies are specifically supposed to submit in comedy and drama if they cannot qualify for movie.  See also: Little America and Modern Love.

Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

I still think Laura Linney could be strong enough to overcome “Internet buzz.” I refuse to entertain the idea of Zendaya winning over those other seasoned actresses, even if she deserves to.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Liam McWhinney
    Topics:

Coleman should not submit Aberfan, Cri de Coeur is much better submission for her. Thoughts?

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Aberfan, Cri de Coeur is much better submission for her. Thoughts?

Olivias outshone by HBC in Cri de Coeur when she’s the MVP of Aberfan

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Sandra Oh & Fiona Shaw, Cicely Tyson

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing & directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

*How the hell were Merritt Wever and Rose Byrne snubbed

Profile picture
    Stranger Among Us
    Topics:

If I were Olivia, I’d submit Coup. It allows Olivia to show her range as the Queen displays a series of emotions. Colman has strong moments in Aberfan, with the final scene being a season highlight, but Aberfan is not really an episode centered on Elizabeth’s character.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Moving Newton up to second! I do not think that The Crown has enough passion this time and I do not see Sarah Snook as giving the kind of performance that the Emmys would award.

The academy now wants Limited Series just to be miniseries and pseudo-miniseries, i.e. seasonal anthologies. Episodic anthologies are specifically supposed to submit in comedy and drama if they cannot qualify for movie. See also: Little America and Modern Love.

Much appreciated, Riley!!!

Follow-up: Why are those Dolly episodes allowed to still compete in Television Movie? Aren’t they all under 70 min.? Or is this a “seasonal anthology”? They have to be holiday-themed?

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Thandie Newton being a new Peter Dinklage and winning for all Westworld seasons from now.

Julia Garner and Thandie Newton have never faced off before. Either one could start to cement themselves as the new Dinklage with a win this year.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

We need to stop factoring in the internet so much; it’s led us to predict many wrong winners and nominees. Again, most of these academy members probably don’t even lurk around on Twitter or Facebook. Jennifer Aniston and Zendaya being more popular on the internet – let’s not forget why that’s the caee – does not put them ahead of Linney.

More like we should stop underestimating the internet. It correctly predicted Fleabag’s sweep, Schitt’s Creek breaking in, Jodie Comer and Billy Porter winning last year as they were by far the most talked about contenders in their category. Years before the internet passion was the first to indicate a Tatiana Maslany upset.

This year we have the buzzy Little Fires and Unorthodox getting in with the latter overperforming, Zendaya getting in and The Mandalorian (we underestimated the power of baby yoda memes). I remember writing here that Regina King was randomly praising Hollywood actors on twitter especially Jeremy Pope and look what happened. It’s the second most nominated show in acting after Watchmen and Jeremy Pope made it in. It was also the buzziest season of Insecure and it’s now the first one to be nominated in Series. I thought Succession would underperform in actors but I always had Sarah Snook, there are twitter accounts dedicated to Shiv’s clothes (remember Kalinda’s boots?. In limited lead actor we have Paul Mescal over people like Russell Crowe. Another internet passion pick.

Not saying using internet is perfect and of course some shows like The Umbrella Academy will never make it in, but we have to stop thinking our little bubble is more accurate because it clearly isn’t looking at some inclusions and omissions (everyone claiming here Killing Eve was over when the buzz for it and Villanelle online is still very much alive). The only big miss is Tom Pelphrey and maybe the explanation of him not being a big name and suffering from lack of Netflix support is a correct one.

Having said all that, I’m very close to be predicting Zendaya and I probably will by the end of summer. Aniston close second. Linney isn’t winning this year, imo.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The possibility of Laura Linney being in third makes me shiver. She did not give THAT performance to be in third.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I highly doubt Samira is win competitive. She was checked for a nomination, over Dowd and Strahovski, for obvious reasons. Thandie Newton is much more competitive.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

At this point, no winner would surprise me in that category to be honest.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I’m not rooting for this to happen but imagine that we started off thinking she was going to win and then stopped thinking she would after watching her programme and the winter awards and then she ends up winning Supporting Actress LMAO.

I think Laura Dern is actually more likely than her.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.