Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 507 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I still think we’re giving a lot of weight to those two wins, which benefited from vote-splitting in their categories.

Yet Bateman still won over directors from Succession, Handmaid’s and Killing Eve. And the actors were never going for a GOT actor outside of Peter anyway, so I thibk Julia won this on her won merits — although I would have disagreed with that take last year.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Yet Bateman still won over directors from Succession, Handmaid’s and Killing Eve. And the actors were never going for a GOT actor outside of Peter anyway, so I thibk Julia won this on her won merits — although I would have disagreed with that take last year.

It still doesn’t mean that Bateman had a significant lead over the other nominees. I did say that they benefited from the multiple Game of Thrones nominations, but if the show had single nominees, they would’ve won.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

You could argue that vote splitting helped but at the end of the day they still won over other contenders so the support is there.

Profile picture
    Clarage
    Topics:

Because she’s not…. why would she win? Cause she has the performance? Tom Pelphry had the performance too and he got snubbed, so did Nicole Kidman and Viola Davis, who happen to be industry vets, A-listers, Emmy darlings and everything you want that guarantees a nomination these days, yet actors didn’t care when they filled their ballots. They won’t care that Linney represents all that when they’ll be voting for the winners. Aniston, Oh and Zendaya have narratives Linney doesn’t and the fact that she’s a 4X winner hurts more than it helps.

If voters really cared about narratives Oh and Headey would have won last year

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Narratives is why I am cautious about Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy winning and why I am cautious about Alan Arkin and Oh winning.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

miss linney is not winning me thinks

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Neither is Zendaya.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Narratives is why I am cautious about Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy winning and why I am cautious about Alan Arkin and Oh winning.

Catherine O’Hara narritive being a performance? I don’t see how she ties here. She’s not first because of some ‘narrative’.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

It still doesn’t mean that Bateman had a significant lead over the other nominees. I did say that they benefited from the multiple Game of Thrones nominations, but if the show had single nominees, they would’ve won.

In directing yes, but in acting definitely not.

Profile picture
    keybored
    Topics:

Because she’s not…. why would she win? Cause she has the performance? Tom Pelphry had the performance too and he got snubbed, so did Nicole Kidman and Viola Davis, who happen to be industry vets, A-listers, Emmy darlings and everything you want that guarantees a nomination these days, yet actors didn’t care when they filled their ballots. They won’t care that Linney represents all that when they’ll be voting for the winners. Aniston, Oh and Zendaya have narratives Linney doesn’t and the fact that she’s a 4X winner hurts more than it helps.

Past three years lead actresses won based on performances. Unless emmy decides  to prioritize blm in this category this year,  yes Linney is winning because she has the performance

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Catherine O’Hara narritive being a performance? I don’t see how she ties here. She’s not first because of some ‘narrative’.

Well many have used the example that voters will reward her because “it’s her time” or because she hasn’t won since the 80s for a writing credit. I’m not saying her and/or Levy aren’t winning but I’m saying we should be a bit cautious because narratives haven’t worked for anyone who’s name isn’t Jon Hamm recently (unless I’m mistaken).

It’s the way Janet McTeer and Tom Pelphry were top5 in these 8-sloted categories, for me. Y’all underestimated voters for these nominations… that’s the last thing I’m gonna say…

Or it could be that people just got a bit excited because we knew Emmy voters loved the shows. I mean people thought Jane Lynch and Emily Hampshire were in the top 5 of their categories and we’re still predicting Maisel and Schitt’s to be doing quite well in wins because we know actors have a history with both shows in terms of nominations and wins.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:
    • Viola : narrative
    • Maslany : narrative
    • Moss : narrative
    • Foy : narrative
    • Comer : I guess she’s the exception but PWB heavily campaigned for her.

Or it could be read as this :

• Danes : broadly seen as the most deserving performance in her category that year
    • Margulies : broadly seen as the most deserving performance in her category that year
    • Davis : broadly seen as the most deserving performance in her category that year
    • Maslany : broadly seen as the most deserving performance in her category that year
    • Moss : broadly seen as the most deserving performance in her category that year
    • Foy : broadly seen as the most deserving performance in her category that year
    • Comer : broadly seen as the most deserving performance in her category that year

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I buy the last-chance Foy narrative, but I think her win was more based on performance. The Crown had its fans, but she didn’t have the same “she HAS to win” buzz that absolutely dominated the conversations around Moss and Maslany. Sandra Oh had a much stronger narrative, so if voters were voting just with narratives in mind, she would have won easily. Sure, it being her last season couldn’t have necessarily hurt her, but I don’t think it was the driving reason behind her win.

Profile picture
    Pu1p
    Topics:

Honestly you can make up a narrative for anyone, it doesn’t really matter.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.