Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 507 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

I am not sure how the voting works. Do people even watch the tapes or do they pretty much know who they want to win.

Margo Martindale and Cherry Jones won recently for cameos – and the voting system is the same as this year or pretty close. They definitely don’t watch the tapes. Tapes mattered until 2014.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

They do not watch the tapes under the current system.  Tapes will be available to voters on August 14th, with voting open from the 21st to the 31st.  That tapes still get submitted and are available causes some people to argue that they are still being watched.  But there are over a hundred acting nominees, plus the comedy and drama series each submit six episodes, plus all voters vote in most of the other program categories.  It is not at all feasible that anyone could be watching the tapes, especially with the time frame. (It essentially used to be that each voter got a different category, so then they only had six episodes to watch, which they did.)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

To be fair though this year whilst they might not be watching all the tapes a lot of voters will have the chance to watch some of them. It might help some voters decide in categories they haven’t made their minds up in yet.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I think undecided voters still look at specific tapes, and then there is any off-viewing on their own before Emmy voting starts to fill in any gaps. This is giving Emmy voters much more credit than they deserve, but still. If absolutely no one watches them and it can’t be proven or tracked, then making them available for voting is pointless and a waste of time, and the amount of discussion we give them on here is an even greater waste of time.

Speaking of voting, are separate branches still voting for the winners, or does everyone votes for everything? Or is that only series categories? I can’t imagine a cinematographer voting for lead actress drama or vice-versa, but everyone votes in drama series, for example.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

It is mostly just separate branches voting on their own categories, but there are several exceptions (casting directors voting on acting, interactive branch voting on animation, executives voting on reality host) that are all covered at the very end of the rule book.  Plus every voter has access to at least fifteen program categories.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Seems like Olivia is aware her little tear isn’t worthy of anything, good for her.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Casting directors vote on acting? Wow I didn’t know that.

How on earth did Millie Bobby Brown lose in  2017 then considering Stranger Things won Casting?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

It is mostly directors voting on casting and mostly actors voting on acting. Casting is a relatively small branch. Directors have only voted on casting since 2015.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes I understand. I guess the answer to my question is that Ann Dowd was just too strong with actors that year?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I had a look at the directing winners here and I’ve noticed that since 2013 the winners in this category have either been from first year shows, shows that have swept and/or shows that failed to win on their first nomination. If we’re going by this trend then unless The Crown or Ozark do a full sweep (which seems unlikely considering how Succession is locked for Writing) this race is solely between Succession and The Morning Show.

Profile picture
    Avi Christiaans
    Topics:

The Outstanding Casting and Outstanding Drama Series stat makes all that null and mute. I don’t see a path for The Morning Show.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Then my winner will be the winner :

Profile picture
    Avi Christiaans
    Topics:

Episode of the Year. Can’t even think how it loses the Direcing Emmy.

Aberfan

Aberfan2

Aberfan2

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I had a look at the directing winners here and I’ve noticed that since 2013 the winners in this category have either been from first year shows, shows that have swept and/or shows that failed to win on their first nomination.

Seven winners have fallen into three groups? Is that a trend that is worth noting? Two of these groups are first-year shows and shows that are at least in their second year, but I mean, of course?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So I follow a lot of Succession fan accounts on Twitter and whilst I obviously won’t be sharing a screenshot of my timeline on here the support seems to be divided between Macfadyen and Culkin of the Succession men quite evenly. It’s not like a situation if Smith-Cameron got in along with Snook as there is a clear favourite of the two. I’m still going to predict one of Macfadyen or Crudup until the Creative Arts but if Succession’s overwhelming acting branch support translates into overwhelming support in terms of wins I wouldn’t be surprised if Culkin actually takes this if him and Macfadyen are the ones receiving the most votes and one of them wins narrowly. That being said I also won’t be surprised if they split votes if Succession does dismally at the arts in guest acting going into the Emmys.

Don’t ruin a win in this category Cousin Greg!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.