Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 507 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I haven’t been on here since the nominations were announced but I think it’s pretty clear that HBC isn’t winning. The Crown underperformed, especially in the acting categories, and she’s going up against two actresses that are in the biggest series contenders (and aren’t facing vote splitting like they could have).

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

And unlike her, they’re in focus for their entire seasons. Given HBC’s scant screentime outside of her two focus episodes, she always struck me as someone who needed to have her season really hit hard with the Emmys to win. Since actors mostly ignored it, I’m keeping her on fourth.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think any one of the eight nominees can win supp. actress. I have Garner, Snook and HBC in first, second and third, in that order, but I wouldn’t surprised to see anyone win at this point. The category is just so strange. Dern and Streep probably don’t have much of chance though as they’ll split the vote.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

And it would have been a plausible argument to use. Had she won the Emmy it would show quite an overwhelming amount of support considering how The Crown is sort of the anti BAFTA show. I mean BAFTA tends to go for more action Killing Eve type stuff than period dramas.

So are you saying either argument would be plausible? As my comment refers to more than one. Which argument is plausible?

My point is that depending on what you want to think about her chances, all the arguments are plausible.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Sixty percent have Helena Bonham Carter winning. I have Thandie Newton ahead of her and Sarah Snook.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

And unlike her, they’re in focus for their entire seasons. Given HBC’s scant screentime outside of her two focus episodes, she always struck me as someone who needed to have her season really hit hard with the Emmys to win. Since actors mostly ignored it, I’m keeping her on fourth.

Yeah, I really don’t think she’ll factor in much here. She won’t even be able to rely on the British votes because some of them will likely go to Shaw as well. I think this is very clearly Garner vs. Snook. Anyone else winning would be very surprising to me. Garner’s a previous winner so we know there’s some sort of support for her performance and Snook is in the series front runner that exploded with acting nominations. Considering it’s overperformance, it’s bound to win a couple of acting categories. She has no internal competition and she has close to the screen time of a lead role.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Vanessa Kirby won the BAFTA for this role, so I don’t understand what you’re saying. There is no excuse.

And that was still pretty impressive considering how much bias BAFTA has against The Crown. This definitely helped Kirby in the nomination stage and for all we know she could have been a close second considering how The Handmaid’s Tale flopped at the Emmys in wins and how Lena Headey and Millie Bobby Brown were probably nowhere close to winning.

One thing to bare in mind with Kirby’s win though is that in the Supporting categories BAFTA likes to award the underdog performers and ironically Kirby was the underdog that year. Yes she is well known here in the UK for her theatre work but she was competing against two acclaimed performers one of which was International Emmy winner Anna Friel and the other veteran thespian Julie Hesmondhalgh.

You may then say but hang on Fiona Shaw won here and she’s not an underdog but she was a BAFTA-less actress competing against a BAFTA winner, the Queen of British television and a bigger name in British TV than her.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The fact that none of the winners are gonna be on stage this year.. 2020 I hate you girl.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Just to put an end to this: I don’t ever consider BAFTA when predicting the Emmys, unless something unprecedented happens like Succession winning writing. I didn’t consider it when Vanessa won and I won’t consider it now. I only pointed out that Helena didn’t even win an award in her own home country although she was predicted to walk home with the victory.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The fact that none of the winners are gonna be on stage this year.. 2020 I hate you girl.

I would so love to have seen the Succession cast and crew on stage receiving standing ovations during their sweep!

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Avi Christiaans
    Topics:

I haven’t been on here since the nominations were announced but I think it’s pretty clear that HBC isn’t winning. The Crown underperformed, especially in the acting categories, and she’s going up against two actresses that are in the biggest series contenders (and aren’t facing vote splitting like they could have).

I swear Gold Derby is the only online forum where The Crown is being considered a massive underperformer at the Emmys, to the extent that users make it sound like the show totally bombed and was ignored across the board. It’s just funny. New cast, meaning relatively new and unfamiliar territory for voters and audiences. But let me not divagate.

And now BAFTA TV awards are being thrown in the mix. As if that was ever used against Maggie Smith, Claire Foy, John Lithgow, Benedict Cumberbatch, etc (and if you can’t see the pattern, I don’t know what to tell you).

I don’t hear a peep about Ozark’s massive acting snubs being levelled against Linney and Garner, conveniently. Yet BAFTA TV awards now becomes a precursor for Bonham Carter. SMH

We go from questions like “Did the actors peer group actually watch Ozark, because that snub of the year though”, yet predicting Linney and Garner with utmost confidence.

People on here actually thinking Ozark is heading for a sizeable Emmy haul, and I would like to try whatever they are smoking.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I have it getting three major awards right now, which is a sizable haul, but only one more than last year and I feel is justified by the nomination increase.

Profile picture
    Divante Efo
    Topics:

I’m no expert, but isn’t The Crown actually competitive (and the favorite?) to win quite a few categories?

– Directing (previous winner)

– Casting (previous winner)

– Cinematography (previous winner)

– Costume Design (2 x previous winner)

–  Production Design (previous winner)

– Lead Actress (outside Gold Derby, of course), previous winner.

I actually think Julia Garner can easily repeat for Ozark. Laura Linney I’m not buying.  I would like to think Jason Bateman would win the Emmy way before Linney, or at the very least they carry each other to wins in a last season sweep type of thing.
    However great her performance might be.

Profile picture
    Liam McWhinney
    Topics:

All hail Helena for the Crown!!

Profile picture
    Avi Christiaans
    Topics:

I don’t think a single person has claimed that Ozark is coming for some big haul (one acting award is not that) but the show should not be underestimated after it won directing and supporting actress last year.

You mean like The Crown? Yet it is being more than underestimated.

It won Directing, Acting and Casting the last time it competed at the Emmys. Remember, it wasn’t snubbed last year, it didn’t compete.

Some of these selective reasonings being thrown around just doesn’t add up.

I have it getting three major awards right now, which is a sizable haul, but only one more than last year and I feel is justified by the nomination increase.

That type of reasoning didn’t help House of Cards one bit, even after its numerous nomination increases. We lived in a world where House of Cards was being touted as a huge force once upon a time. Because of nomination increases.

And yes, they are very comparable, in both Networks they are on, type of shows, wins they accumulated (directing + acting), increases in nominations, etc.

You have it winning Directing for “Fire Pink”.

Now that’s a prediction I would love to be convinced about, because I believe it is second and the only alternative to Aberfan. And I’m actually scared you would be able to semi-convince me to swap.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.