Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 507 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Random question but with streaming shows like Unorthodox and Normal People having exploded due to visibility during the quarantine I was wondering do you guys think Bodyguard would have gotten into Directing and gotten both Hawes and Madden in this year had it premiered on Netflix during the lockdown?

No because it was big hit when it aired and had already gotten a lot of visibility like with the globes. It was just rejected.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Succession should be so happy HBO put Watchmen on the Limited side because if it hadn’t it would be losing pretty much every category apart from maybe Supporting Actress to it.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Succession would propably win Writing against Watchmen, just like WGA at the very least.

Profile picture
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Topics:

Okay, I’m watching The Morning Show. Very watchable, extremely predictable and soapy. But the acting is good, especially Crudup. But how did Aniston win SAG for this awful performance? She’s easily my least favorite performance on the show. Even technically, she’s stiff and wooden. I know it works for this character, Ice Queen Alex, but I don’t know… I really would love to see her deliver big in that final episode but I doubt it. And Carell… why is he nominated for anything, especially in LEAD?!

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgipGEBx5MM

The Outsider is literally called a limited series in this, which makes its one nomination really damn ironic

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Aniston won because she’s, well, Jennifer Aniston. She’s a huge star and whenever a big star does TV SAG throw everything at them.

Is that why Claire Foy won over Winona Ryder, Thandie Newton and Robin Wright?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

No one even mentioned Foy. Aniston’s victory is incomparable to Foy’s. I know that Apple had a boatload of TMS Q&As  for the nomination committee. That certainly helphed her and her two co-stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgipGEBx5MM The Outsider is literally called a limited series in this, which makes its one nomination really damn ironic

There is a post-credit scene in the finale that sets up a second season. Riley also once mentioned that King has also already published a sequel to his novel, so a second season would make sense.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Aniston won because she’s, well, Jennifer Aniston. She’s a huge star and whenever a big star does TV SAG throw everything at them.

Julia Roberts says hi.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No one even mentioned Foy. Aniston’s victory is incomparable to Foy’s. I know that Apple had a boatload of TMS Q&As  for the nomination committee. That certainly helphed her and her two co-stars.

What I took issue with is the fact that the user stated ‘whenever a big star does TV SAG throws everything at them’. That couldn’t be further from the truth because otherwise Claire Foy would have lost to someone like Winona Ryder or Thandie Newton (who are big film stars) in 2017 or as hopelessstar mentioned Julia Roberts would have been nominated at SAG and probably would have won over Sandra Oh if this theory was actually true.

It could very well be that Aniston won because of Colman and Bonham Carter splitting or because SAG were impressed with her performance. To say that it’s purely because of her name couldn’t be further from the truth (otherwise why did Jodie Comer get in over Reese Witherspoon or Nicole Kidman then this year?)

Profile picture
    jacob121
    Topics:

Ugh, you’re right, Riley. I had James Cromwell and Giancarlo Esposito up there, but moved up Scott now because I will allow myself to hope-dict him for a while. This is one of my least favorite lineups of the year.

This category is pretty tough tbh. I am going with Esposito given that there is clearly love for him individually, plus the Mandalorian did so well overall but could see it go in any number of directions.

If the Outsider had more support then maybe it’d go to Bateman…been a bit absent from the forums since the nominations so apologies if this has already been discussed but damn did that show underperform. What happened there? HBO stretched too thin or did the finale leave such a sour taste in people’s mouths that they wrote it off altogether?

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

There is a post-credit scene in the finale that sets up a second season. Riley also once mentioned that King has also already published a sequel to his novel, so a second season would make sense.

Sure, I’m just saying the inconsistency is pretty annoying. Like, Bateman is literally nominated for a category that has no equivalent in the limited categories, so why did you group it with them?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sure, I’m just saying the inconsistency is pretty annoying. Like, Bateman is literally nominated for a category that has no equivalent in the limited categories, so why did you group it with them?

They were too embarrassed to say the rest of the nominations for their non Watchmen and IKTMIT Limited Series were below the line.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

been a bit absent from the forums since the nominations so apologies if this has already been discussed but damn did that show underperform.

After watching it, I would say that the first two episodes (and maybe the third) warranted a boatload of below-the-line noms, plus directing for the pilot — Bateman’s very best work as director — but there isn’t much outside of it that I think stood out. I always found the writing and drama series predictions a bit strange because this show never had the buzz or impact that the other shows in the race had. The same with Erivo, whose performance isn’t academy-fare at all. I really liked the show, but it kind of fell off a cliff in the second half of the season and didn’t have that great a finale, which doesn’t help. I also think the genre might have been a problem, but who knows. I am just sad Bateman didn’t get the directing nom he so very much deserved.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.