Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 507 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

<i>Ozark</i>’s three writing nominations shouldn’t be underestimated. It’s not winning Writing as long as Succession is there but if it can get three writing nominations whilst writers favourite Better Call Saul can only increase their amount of nominations by one then I’d say that’s pretty impressive.

BCS shot themselves in the foot by submitting almost all of their episodes in writing. The fact that they can still get in two is pretty impressive.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

What the writing & directing noms showed us is that Succession, Ozark and The Crown are comfortably ahead of all other 5 drama series nominees — by a country mile. Ozark and BCS benefitted from Succession submitting only 1 ep in writing. Nevertheless, Ozark going from o to 3 is still impressive.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

BCS shot themselves in the foot by submitting almost all of their episodes in writing. The fact that they can still get in two is pretty impressive.

I agree but what I was saying was the fact that Ozark went from 0 to 3 whilst Better Call Saul (a writers darling) went from 1 to 2 only is quite impressive.

Likewise as Luca said everyone (apart from maybe The Crown) in that category benefitted from Succession only submitting the finale.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I’ll consider Ozark if it does well at creative arts. But right now, Succession has a huge leg up on its competition.

This is how I feel. I also feel like if Succession wins for casting, it’s winning for directing. No doubt. I still don’t think “Hunting” and “This Is Not For Tears” will vote-split, and the Game of Thrones argument in regards to last year is flawed. It’s also pretty obvious which drama series the acting branch will be voting for.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This is how I feel. I also feel like if Succession wins for casting, it’s winning for directing. No doubt. I still don’t think “Hunting” and “This Is Not For Tears” will vote-split, and the Game of Thrones argument in regards to last year is flawed. It’s also pretty obvious which drama series the acting branch will be voting for.

I think whomever wins casting wins directing. At the moment I am predicting Succession to win both.

@9 do the descriptions submitted for the original ballot appear on the final voting ballot (i.e. next to Andrij Parekh will it say ‘boar on the floor’ as it did on the original nominations ballot?)

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

You already know how I feel about this statement. Even if Succession wins casting it still can, very easily, lose directing. Succession is not undeniable from a directing pov. And “Hunting” is much stronger than “Sua Casa Es Mi Casa” or “Cri de Coeur”. But tbh this category is a mess and I won’t be surprised if either Homeland or The Morning Show wins directing.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

<i>Ozark</i>’s three writing nominations shouldn’t be underestimated. It’s not winning Writing as long as Succession is there but if it can get three writing nominations whilst writers favourite Better Call Saul can only increase their amount of nominations by one then I’d say that’s pretty impressive.

I guess we are underestimating What We Do In The Shadows then, too.

You already know how I feel about this statement. Even if Succession wins casting it still can, very easily, lose directing. Succession is not undeniable from a directing pov. And “Hunting” is much stronger than “Sua Casa Es Mi Casa” or “Cri de Coeur”. But tbh this category is a mess and I won’t be surprised if either Homeland or The Morning Show wins directing.

I don’t buy this. I stand by my comparison of it being like “The Door” taking votes from “Battle of the Bastards”. I think “This Is Not For Tears” is the frontrunner here and always has been. “This Is Not For Fears” got the DGA nod. I don’t think “Hunting” is a threat. I could be underestimating it, but that’s on me. And if something like The Morning Show beats Succession or The Crown in directing, I’ll turn off my TV. I won’t be able to take another ridiculous directing win.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Watched Smithereen yesterday. Andrew Scott is fantastic in it, but his performance is undercut by weak writing. It starts off promising, and while Scott delivers the whole way through, all that build up just leads to anti climactic conclusion. But still, Scott really elevates the material. I still think Dance should’ve won, but based on the actual nominees, it should be Scott.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I guess we are underestimating What We Do In The Shadows then, too.

Well I agree What We Do in the Shadows is higher than some shows in the Series race but unlike Ozark the show didn’t get into directing, acting or many crafts. What I meant is we already know that Ozark has some actor and director support (even if it’s less than Succession) considering what happened last year and the fact that it got all three of its writing submissions in after being snubbed twice in a row shows that the show could have lots of writing support (not enough to win Writing though).

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I know we all want Succession to win (and it probably will) but we really shouldn’t underestimate Ozark it has support from like every branch and the fact that it won two big emmys last year for a mediocre season bodes well for its chances.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think it’s interesting with this awards season because you have various frontrunners but they range in terms of likelihood. Like from Limited to Drama to Comedy it goes from lock to quite likely to possibly win. In a way it’s the easiest Emmys to predict and in a ways its the hardest.

Ofc she can, but she won’t and my comment couldn’t be clearer. 

Did anyone else here this like this :

First, Jodie Comer is NOT undeniable and the « undeniable argument » don’t work here, especially when Tom Pelphry or whatever you call that fad failed to get in despite being Linney’s screen partner in the baitiest eps.

Tom Pelphrey (in my opinion) suffered from name recognition. He had the material but he was never a lock but rather someone who would win if they were nominated (like Corey Stoll in 2013). Also I never said Jodie Comer was winning so…

Profile picture
    Clarage
    Topics:

Why ?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Laura Linney is not winning, it’s either Aniston, Oh or Zendaya and I’m rooting for Oh. Linney deserves but she’s NOT winning.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Linney being a 4x winner doesn’t hurt her chances at all when actors like Bryan Cranston, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Allison Janney, Peter Dinklage & John Lithgow can win time and time again over people who never won.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I know we all want Succession to win (and it probably will) but we really shouldn’t underestimate Ozark it has support from like every branch and the fact that it won two big emmys last year for a mediocre season bodes well for its chances.

I still think we’re giving a lot of weight to those two wins, which benefited from vote-splitting in their categories.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.