Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 6)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 531 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    TheCineMike
    Topics:

Just listened to the new Indiewire podcast about the Drama Series categories, and they mentioned that Billy Porter could actually be the beneficiary of the Succession Lead Actor vote split… are we underestimating him even if his show itself wasn’t nominated? (I assumed Jason Bateman would be the obvious one to benefit from a split but now I’m not so sure)

I agree on this. I can see Porter benefiting on the vote split, but Bateman seems to be the safe choice. But either of them would work.

https://thecinemike.wordpress.com/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Could The Morning Show s1 in acting at the Emmys be like Westworld s1?

• Both got nominated for Series and their leads at the Globe’s after an Autumn premiere.
    • Both won acting awards at Critics Choice.
    • Both had the hype of having well known and well respected actors as a part of their ensembles (Oscar winner Anthony Hopkins, Oscar nominee Ed Harris, BAFTA winner Thandie Newton) and (Jennifer Aniston, Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon, Oscar nominee Steve Carrell).
    • Both did well at SAG for a first season show.
    • Both got over-performer in acting nominations but had some surprising omissions (Ed Harris, Gugu Mbatha-Raw).
    • Both competed in a year where two shows took the spotlight  (Stranger Things and The Handmaid’s Tale in 2017, Ozark and Succession in 2020).

I think it’s very possible that Aniston loses this year like Newton but then win for her second season à la Newton and Foy.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

No.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

How can Zendaya win with hardly any other support for her show? This isn’t the Oscars where Best Actress always goes to a woman from a movie which wins hardly anything else.

No, cause now those type of underdogs only need to manage to get the nomination, once they had that, the win is relatively easy. For example, even after his horrendous and unforgivable snub, we all know that Tom Pelphrey would have won if he was able to win that nomination, sadly, he was not able to do it due to the fact that for some random reason, Supporting actor in drama remains the only category at the Emmys main ceremony where name recognition (Whitford, Wright) and obsessive love for your (Braun, Duplass and Macfadyen) show are still are big factors, I see real passion only for Esposito (weak season, strong tape), Culkin (strong season and strong tape, but he plays a very similar character to himself, although, it seems that no one cares, so maybe he will win) and Crudup (strong season and strong tape, but a little divisive performance and character).

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Just listened to the new Indiewire podcast about the Drama Series categories, and they mentioned that Billy Porter could actually be the beneficiary of the Succession Lead Actor vote split… are we underestimating him even if his show itself wasn’t nominated? (I assumed Jason Bateman would be the obvious one to benefit from a split but now I’m not so sure)

The thing is most people underestimate Ozark and Succession might share a big amount of voters, and if those voters are already voting for succession actors and not Bateman, then the beneficiary of a vote split might be from a show attracting another audience.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Has anyone noticed how Barry vs Fleabag seems to be repeating itself as Ozark vs Succession this year? Forgive me if it’s already been mentioned.

I mean Fleabag and Succession did quite well in nominations but didn’t do as well as Barry  and Ozark did in craft nominations but then Fleabag and Succession did quite well in craft wins with both (or at least so far with regards to Succession) winning Casting and Editing. This also is interesting when Ozark and Barry both got sound nominations.

I mean it’s very clear Succession is winning Series but this has now made me change my sound prediction from Maisel to Ozark.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

They jinxed Headey losing last year, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

The person who jinxed Headey was Thatcher.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The person who jinxed Headey was Thatcher.

Let’s not forget how they jinxed Nicole Kidman this year too!

Will be interesting if they jinx Gillian Anderson next year simply by being called Thatcher…

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Hey, I am predicting Zendaya for actress, so I’m not jinxing Laura. If anyone is, then academy members, who might not recognize the sheer talent. Ugh.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see how both Succession men in Lead Actor don’t split the vote. Both have led the odds at some point during the voting period. I wonder if there has been any secret campaigning that we don’t know about by HBO favoring one nominee over the other.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

P.S. I’m down for a Succession tie in Lead Actor. Emmys make it happen!

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Knowing 2020 they’ll say that she won and then 2 minutes later say it was a mistake.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.