Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 7)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 252 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Rachel
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

It’s not. I’m predicting Strong but in the event of a vote-split between Jeremy Strong and Brian Cox, I strongly believe that Jason Bateman may be next in line

I know you aren’t predicting Bateman to win. I was refering to your prediction of the beneficiary from a possible vote split.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

All of those except for Game of Thrones were under the old system.

You’re completely right, and I’m not saying that because those shows overcame vote-splitting Succession will too, but the tape system didn’t erase the fact that actors from the same show were still competing for votes when they were nominated in the same category.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Topics:

If anything, I think the new system benefits Culkin. Voters who didn’t bother to watch are inclined to vote for him, he’s been the buzziest nominee in that category (except Crudup maybe). Voting being branch-specific also resulted in Succession bagging an unreal number of noms, so it’s not wrong to assume there is passion behind Succession performances, and Culkin’s (after Strong and maybe Snook) been repeatedly brought up as a highlight in interviews with other actors.

rubbish

Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

[T]he tape system didn’t erase the fact that actors from the same show were still competing for votes when they were nominated in the same category.

Voters used to fill out a ranked ballot, though, so a “Succession” fan could’ve ranked Culkin, Macfadyen, and Braun 1, 2, and 3 and therefore not “split” their vote. Now they have to make a single choice, hence the imminent threat of vote-splitting in all of the categories with 2+ nominees.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Maybe they could, but I don’t see how they currently rank above Bateman… at all

One is the incumbent winner, and the other is from a show that overperformed in the Acting categories (and somehow got a Directing nomination that nobody was predicting) plus a popular actor with an overdue narrative.

Carell is very much at the bottom of my predictions, but it is totally feasible that if Strong/Cox split (not happening imo) then his chances improve over Bateman’s (from a show that overlaps in audience with Succession and underperformed in the acting categories)

rubbish

Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

Exactly, I don’t see anyone overcoming the Succession strengh, even with two nominees, especially since, lately, the escale seems to be pending towards Strong, but, if they are votespliting, Bateman seems behind Carell (given the acting support for the Mourning Show and the fact that he is overdue) and Porter (since he just won and, if there is a year people want to make a statement, thats 2020).

Profile picture
    Topics:

Voters used to fill out a ranked ballot, though, so a “Succession” fan could’ve ranked Culkin, Macfadyen, and Braun 1, 2, and 3 and therefore not “split” their vote. Now they have to make a single choice, hence the imminent threat of vote-splitting in all of the categories with 2+ nominees.

I do agree that vote splitting is much more likely in the new system, but its effects are exaggerated.

Post-2015 instances of overcoming vote splitting, excluding GoT:

1. People v OJ, Writing
    2. People v OJ, Lead Actor
    3. People v OJ, S. Actor
    4. This Is Us, Lead Actor
    5. SNL, S. Actress
    6. THT, S. Actress
    7. THT, Directing
    8. BLL, S. Actress
    9. Maisel, S. Actress
    10. KE, Lead Actress

Succession’s had a better awards run this year than most of these, and Culkin has beaten Macfadyen in nominations for every award.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    jonny
    Topics:

Is the show live on youtube, i saw someone say that on twitter, it’s probably not

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Fuck it, I’m going with Zendaya.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The people no longer predicting Linney you will be remembered and dealt with period.

Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

The people no longer predicting Linney you will be remembered and dealt with period.

Yes! The Linney Traitors will be remembered by the North. 😅

Profile picture
    True Tenor
    Topics:

I was really tempted to switch to Zendaya, but then I remembered Claire Danes (My So-Called Life) and Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia). Emmys will rarely nominate a “teen performance” in lead actress, and have never given the prize to someone for playing a teen. All in all, it just doesn’t have enough snob appeal for her to pull it off, though I really hope she does.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

At this point, I don’t care who wins just please don’t be Steve Carell.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yes! The Linney Traitors will be remembered by the North. 😅

I am willing to sacrifice myself if that means she wins.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 252 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.