Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Episode Submissions (Official List)

Emmys 2020 Episode Submissions (Official List)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 492 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Chris Beachum
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I agree that Aberfan is more of a technical showcase. But the restraint that Colman has achieved in that episode especially with the talked-about “one tear” is a performance that very few actors can do. really, it takes a real talent to achieve that teardrop synchronized with the direction and the moment.

And so many more. This isn’t a rarity. Actors do this all the time on the big and small screens — so much so that it’s actually become a trope (look it up). A show that is usually (brilliantly) subtle, The Crown should have been a bit more subtle than it was with this moment. The extreme close-up and dramatic score, I feel, didn’t capture Colman’s work in that scene particularly well.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

I agree that Aberfan is more of a technical showcase. But the restraint that Colman has achieved in that episode especially with the talked-about “one tear” is a performance that very few actors can do. really, it takes a real talent to achieve that teardrop synchronized with the direction and the moment.

2:20 This little legend could do it. Love that for her!

https://youtu.be/HikUWF1OYBQ

unjustly snubbed this year

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

Lol and Sterling K. Brown does this literally all the time. I just can’t believe we spent two pages talking about Olivia Colman’s tear I have to laugh…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rexy Jolly
    Topics:

Disappointed with Catherine O’Hara’s submission. There are other (and way better) options.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vice Wicked
    Topics:

I just can’t believe we spent two pages talking about Olivia Colman’s tear I have to laugh…

I know it’s funny! As if it can make Colman change her submission! But on the “one eye tears”, you can all name actors doing a tear fall from their eye performance but what I’m pointing out is the impact. The scene calls for it. At least for me it felt essential and not just for the sake of showing an actor cry in one eye. The impact of that scene given the direction, writing, cinematography, make-up, etc, every part of the medium won’t be as effective if she shed tears on both her eyes. Directors and writers can have that tears in one eye in every scene they want but to pull a performance like that so moving the way Colman did, it holds that beautiful scene together and for me makes for a stunning piece of television. One actor I truly admire for this “one teardrop scene” is Filipino actress Nora Aunor in a funeral scene in film entitled Himala which means “miracle” in Filipino.

For the record, I thought Colman is still competitive with Cri de Coeur but HBC just owns that episode and thought the former’s decision to submit it helps her co-star win it more than her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Of course the scene has an impact, but that doesn’t mean Colman’s work in it is unique as many, many, many, many actors are able to pull off the same feat. I think the moment is completely overhyped, and I am pretty sure Olivia would agree.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I love the discussions here because it feels like I have gone back in time to 2013/2014 when tapes actually mattered. I’m convinced the tapes have zero effect anymore, but it still feels nice to see everyone be so invested in this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

People are bored. What else are we going to do in a quarantine? But I do think that some voters still watch the tapes, so the conversations aren’t completely irrelevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And I think this year with lots of time on their hands due to the pandemic they could very well be watching tapes to make final decisions in categories they are unsure about. I think we may be underestimating them a bit this year.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

When I suggested that voters were maybe not watching more TV than before, people didn’t want to believe it. But you cannot tell me, after seeing the actual nominations, that the actors’ branch watched these shows (Succession obviously being the exception). Forget shows that aired a while ago like Handmaid’s or BLL, just look at recent shows like Better Call Saul and Ozark. Everyone has very clearly said that this was Rhea Seehorn’s season, with both Banks and Odenkirk having fantastic material too, while Giancarlo Esposito had very little to do — but guess who gets nominated. No one who watched Ozark S3 didn’t mention Tom Pelphrey — Janet McTeer maybe, but not Tom. There is always the possibility that voters weren’t that wowed like the internet was, but that’s so difficult to believe. You would have expected both shows to max out as they came out right when the pandemic “started.” It’s not like Ozark didn’t blow up — it did — just not with actors. Voting goes for a mere two weeks, so you cannot tell me that they’re going to sit down and watch these submissions. The pandemic triggered increased viewing, but it also triggered increased laziness.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Disappointed with Catherine O’Hara’s submission. There are other (and way better) options.

Could we get a hold of Catherine’s people and recommend a change in submission?

I know in the past Tom O’Neil and I believe Chris Beachum would have conversations with nominees/people associated with the nominees and help with episode submissions. I believe this helped Cynthia Nixon win her much deserved Emmy for Sex & the City in 2004. Cynthia changed her submissions from her original selection.

Also, we need to do the same for Cicely Tyson. Her first appearance in the last season would have been much stronger than the series finale.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When I suggested that voters were maybe not watching more TV then before, people didn’t want to believe it. But you cannot tell me, after seeing the actual nominations, that the actors’ branch watched these shows (Succession obviously being the exception). Forget shows that aired a while ago like Handmaid’s or BLL, just look at recent shows like Better Call Saul and Ozark. Everyone has very clearly said that this was Rhea Seehorn’s season, with both Banks and Odenkirk having fantastic material too, while Giancarlo Esposito had very little to do — but guess who gets nominated. No one who watched Ozark S3 didn’t mention Tom Pelphrey — Janet McTeer maybe, but not Tom. There is always the possibility that voters weren’t that wowed like the internet was, but that’s so difficult to believe. You would have expected both shows to max out as they came out right when the pandemic “started.” It’s not like Ozark didn’t blow up — it did — just not with actors. Voting goes for a mere two weeks, so you cannot tell me that they’re going to sit down and watch these submissions. The pandemic triggered increased viewing, but it also triggered increased laziness.

I actually disagree.

On the Drama side yes voters seem to have only watched Succession but the same can’t be said for Comedy or Limited/Movie. For example voters clearly watched more shows that were Limited series hence why Unorthodox and Normal People broke through in major categories this year. And on the Comedy side people like Wanda Sykes, Yvonne Orji and The Great in Writing and Directing and What We Do in the Shadows in Writing broke through. I think it’s very clear (in Comedy at least in the case of Sykes and The Great) that voters did watch more television this year and voted based on it.

Voters didn’t watch Better Call Saul that’s true and they probably were too bored to finish Ozark season 1 to get to season 3 but in terms of the wins we should remind ourselves that there is still a pandemic. At least in the US (some productions have started to resume in the UK and Canada now) productions remain suspended and it is possible that voters are still discovering new pieces of television. What they voted for in nominations (let’s say for example Schitt’s Creek and Succession) may end up being very different to what they vote for in terms of the win. I mean let’s take some users here. From the beginning to the end of the pandemic due to discovering new shows some viewers have switched from “I want X to win” to “I want Y to win”. It’s very possible voters may end up doing the same in the space of a few weeks.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

When I suggested that voters were maybe not watching more TV then before, people didn’t want to believe it. But you cannot tell me, after seeing the actual nominations, that the actors’ branch watched these shows (Succession obviously being the exception). Forget shows that aired a while ago like Handmaid’s or BLL, just look at recent shows like Better Call Saul and Ozark. Everyone has very clearly said that this was Rhea Seehorn’s season, with both Banks and Odenkirk having fantastic material too, while Giancarlo Esposito had very little to do — but guess who gets nominated. No one who watched Ozark S3 didn’t mention Tom Pelphrey — Janet McTeer maybe, but not Tom. There is always the possibility that voters weren’t that wowed like the internet was, but that’s so difficult to believe. You would have expected both shows to max out as they came out right when the pandemic “started.” It’s not like Ozark didn’t blow up — it did — just not with actors. Voting goes for a mere two weeks, so you cannot tell me that they’re going to sit down and watch these submissions. The pandemic triggered increased viewing, but it also triggered increased laziness.

I still don’t. I just think people on here are pissed off that certain voting branches didn’t like the same shows as much as they did.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

On the Drama side yes voters seem to have only watched Succession but the same can’t be said for Comedy or Limited/Movie.

I only meant drama, I should have specified.

On the Drama side yes voters seem to have only watched Succession but the same can’t be said for Comedy or Limited/Movie.

But is it certain shows in drama? To me it seems like everything outside of Succession.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.