Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Episode Submissions (Official List)

Emmys 2020 Episode Submissions (Official List)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 492 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Chris Beachum
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

First off, let’s scrap the Malek and Zellweger comparisons as the Oscars are dissimilar to the Emmys. Those two won the Oscar the minute they won the Globe, which is how actors now (in most cases) win the Oscar. Erivo vs. Nyong’o is also such a bizarre example as you’re placing two transformative performance opposite each other. Yes, Erivo played Harriet Tubmin, but you don’t get more bait-y that Lupita in “Us” with her dual roles (also, the horror bias played into that snub). And why even compare these two given that one wasn’t even nominated? Whishaw I think simply won because people loved that performance. Michael K. was great in WTSU, but he was barely in it; plus, he was competing against two co-stars. Laura is not transforming physically, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t transforming. I am pretty sure voters know she isn’t similar to Wendy Byrde, lol. Bottom line, you didn’t support your earlier argument with those comparisons.

Did I say voters were saying she is similar to Wendy Byrde LMAO? I’m just saying that what worries me about her winning is that she is coming up against someone playing the Queen, someone giving their first dramatic television performance and someone playing a recovering teen drug addict.

I guess Nyong’o was the wrong comparison but what I meant was the fact that Erivo got in despite people like Nyong’o and Awkwafina being predicted more was due to the fact that she was playing Harriet Tubman. Voters generally nowadays seem to be impressive with performances of real life people (which I mentioned separately in my argument because they are not mutually inclusive) and transformative performances and I fear Linney lacks both despite giving the performance of the year.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Claire Foy and Olivia Colman — who play the same character, of course — are literally the only drama actress nominees in the last 10 years to be nominated for playing real-life figures. Your argument would work better for the limited series acting categories.

We’re not getting anywhere here anyway. If people want to be concerned about Linney because her performance isn’t showy enough or her narrative non-existent, then go ahead.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I think this year with lots of time on their hands due to the pandemic they could very well be watching tapes to make final decisions in categories they are unsure about. I think we may be underestimating them a bit this year.

Count me among those who do not see the same voters who did not watch Tom Pelphrey during peak quarantine finally watching the tapes as productions resume.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Count me among those who do not see the same voters who did not watch Tom Pelphrey during peak quarantine finally watching the tapes as productions resume.

Or maybe they just decided not to watch Ozark? They clearly caught up on Succession during quarantine and saw Unorthodox and Normal People.

I realised we were all moaning about Normal People submitting less acclaimed earlier episodes for writing and directing but maybe they did that because they were worried voters hadn’t seen their whole seasons?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Wasn’t Ozark one of the most binge-watched shows during the pandemic, tho? Is it possible that voters watched Ozark, but just was not as impressed with Tom Pelphrey or the “Ben” character as a lot of us was?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I realised we were all moaning about Normal People submitting less acclaimed earlier episodes for writing and directing but maybe they did that because they were worried voters hadn’t seen their whole seasons?

Their (executive) producing writer and director each only got episodic credit in the first half of the season. They submitted the two most-acclaimed episodes from the first half.

ReplyCopy URL

Claire Foy and Olivia Colman — who play the same character, of course — are literally the only drama actress nominees in the last 10 years to be nominated for playing real-life figures. Your argument would work better for the limited series acting categories. We’re not getting anywhere here anyway. If people want to be concerned about Linney because her performance isn’t showy enough or her narrative non-existent, then go ahead.

Linney’s performance is very showy. I don’t know what people are talking about.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Wasn’t Ozark one of the binge-watched shows during the pandemic, tho? Is it possible that voters watched Ozark, but just was not as impressed with Tom Pelphrey or the “Ben” character as a lot of us was?

I don’t know how that’s even possible because Tom was captivating every fucking second he was on that screen but maybe you’re right. For some inexplicable reason they weren’t crazy about him like us.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Yall really can’t accept they genuinely like this show. It was the same excuses last year.

Exactly. It’s high time people realise this. There was a reason Comer was able to overcome a vote-split and win over Sandra last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

It’s so tiring at this point. They watched the show and liked it. Deal with it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I don’t know how that’s even possible because Tom was captivating every fucking second he was on that screen but maybe you’re right. For some inexplicable reason they weren’t crazy about him like us.

Tom Pelphrey just wasn’t a big enough name. Getting the nomination was his biggest obstacle for a reason. Very Luke Kirby-esque. I’m sure many people voted for him, but some voters just like to go with what they already know. It’s a comfort-zone thing. Doesn’t mean they didn’t watch nor does it mean they didn’t appreciate his performance. Some voters are just lame.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

But did they appreciate him as much as we did? Because when you’re so impressed by someone and you get shook to your core by their performance then you should normally get out of your stupid comfort zone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I just rewatched “Cri de Coeur” and you know what?! I actually stan Olivia’s submission and I take back everything I said previously regarding her decision. She actually has more screentime and storyline than I remembered. Yes, her screentime and storyline is not as big as in “Aberfan” or “Coup” but she really gave everything in the last 10 minutes of the finale. Her conversation with Margaret was extremely emotional and it was definetly her best moment in the season. Also, to the person that said Cromwell and Walter have more screentime combined than her, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Yes, the episode is still dominated by Margaret but Olivia still has a good amount of screentime.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Now that’s really reaching. Then how did they reward Dinklage four times? Laura is already a four-time winner, so I doubt they will start taking her work for granted now. Plus, from what I have heard, her turn in S3 is unlike anything she’s ever done.

I still think they could take her for granted in a flashy new world where a greater social media PR presence is expected, if not required.

But yeah, as someone who had limited exposure to her body of work, it was clear she was operating at another level throughout the whole season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.