Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Guest Categories

Emmys 2020 Guest Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 170 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
thatnerdgreg
Riley Chow
  • puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

Mindy Kaling for The Morning Show?

TV Academy dislikes her. The Mindy Project was one of the funniest shows I’ve ever watched yet it wasn’t nominated for anything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

TV Academy dislikes her. The Mindy Project was one of the funniest shows I’ve ever watched yet it wasn’t nominated for anything.

And she did nothing on TMS to deserve a nomination, lol. Not happening.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

She did not do anything, but it was a fun series of cameos, so I could see her name on the ballot bringing a smile to voters’ faces and that could be enough.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

She did not do anything, but it was a fun series of cameos, so I could see her name on the ballot bringing a smile to voters’ faces and that could be enough.

Usually I would agree, but we have too many contenders who actually did something worthy of recognition on their shows. And puck05 is right, Mindy isn’t some name-check candidate. She’s never been nominated for an acting Emmy, and her last nom was 10 years ago.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

And she did nothing on TMS to deserve a nomination, lol. Not happening.

Since when did doing nothing rule someone out? We just had Cherry Jones.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Since when did doing nothing rule someone out? We just had Cherry Jones.

Yeah, but Cherry Jones was nominated for a show the TV academy loves. I told everyone all season long that she was a threat (although I didn’t ultimately predict her myself), but everyone kept telling me I was crazy. And Jones did more in those 5 minutes of screen time than Kaling did in her few episodes, collectively, with her one-dimensional performance (which isn’t her fault at all because that was the intention).

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Seeing as both Chau and Johnson were in the main credits, I do not expect them to be submitted in guest, given how people were submitted under Damon Lindelof on The Leftovers.

Even Johnson? Him going supporting seems like a really poor call for a guest performance that he could likely win with. Chau makes more sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Rooting for the mother of Bubbikins.

FYC BAFTA TV : Killing Eve, Russell Tovey, Years and Years, His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson
    FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer, Ruth Wilson, Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

There have been so many nothing performances nominated in the guest categories, Mindy Kaling is a known Emmy-nominated quantity and The Morning Show is going to be a major acting player based on the data that we have. Margaret Cho seems relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Getting her to announce the nominees during TMP’s first year of eligibility only for her not to be nominated was just cruel.

ReplyCopy URL
    Team Yali
    Participant
    Topics:

How many episodes would you be eligible to be in supporting actor? 50 percent or 5 out of 10 episodes? Then the rest would be for Guest Actor.

I sincerely hope Netflix campaigns the hell out of everyone in The Crown especially for Guest Actor and Guest Actress. Still unforgivable to not campaign for Alex Jennings back in season 2 lol. Good thing he got a BAFTA TV nomination for a different project recently to go with his Olivier wins, and even Rufus Sewell managed to get a Guest Actor Emmy nom for Maisel. Brit character actors getting bigger recognition is what I stan.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Emmys 2020
    Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Ben Daniels, The Crown

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My current drama predictions

Best Drama Guest Actress:

1. Alexis Bledel (The Handmaid’s Tale)
    2. Phylicia Rashad (This Is Us)
    3. Cherry Jones (The Handmaid’s Tale)
    4. Cicely Tyson (How to Get Away With Murder)
    5. Julie Dretzin (The Handmaid’s Tale)/ Elizabeth Reaser (The Handmaid’s Tale)
    6. Laverne Cox (OITNB)

Spoilers: anyone from The Crown, Becky Ann Baker (BLL), Cherry Jones (Succession) who I think will submit for both shows but will get in for Handmaid’s since the acting branch is addicted to this show in these guest categories.

Drama Guest Actor:
    1. Christopher Meloni (The Handmaid’s Tale)
    2. Charles Dance (The Crown)
    3. O.T. Fagbenle (The Handmaid’s Tale)
    4. Ron Cephas Jones (This Is Us)
    5. Cameron Britton (Mindhunter)?
    6. F. Murray Abraham (Homeland) if he appears

Spoiler: Max Minghella (The Handmaid’s Tale), James Cromwell (Succession)

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

Comedy Guest Actor looks like it is between Luke Kirby and Eddie Murphy right now, but I hope we get more contenders from Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Comedy Guest Actress doesn’t have many contenders from SNL so far and Lynch being a supporting actress appears to make Maya Rudolph the front-runner, boosted by her Kamala Harris impression on SNL. I could see Wanda Sykes making it in for her TMMM appearance as Moms Mabley.

Drama Guest Actor will likely have Michael Angarano and Ron Cephas Jones back, alongside someone from Homeland and Westworld. And, even though he didn’t make it in last year, I suspect a swell of attention on Succession should get James Cromwell in this time too.

Drama Guest Actress should have Laverne Cox and Cicely Tyson (who I’m counting on for a dynamo episode when HTGAWM returns) for their shows’ final season, alongside Cherry Jones and Phylicia Rashad returning, and Geraldine Chaplin and Jane Lapotaire from The Crown filling out the category.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Nate.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Nate.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Nate.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I forgot to mention Emmy nominee Marsha Stephanie Blake, who could submit for both “This Is Us” or “HTGAWM.” She gave the better performance, by a mile, on Murder, which bagged three acting bids last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

How many episodes would you be eligible to be in supporting actor? 50 percent or 5 out of 10 episodes? Then the rest would be for Guest Actor. I sincerely hope Netflix campaigns the hell out of everyone in The Crown especially for Guest Actor and Guest Actress. Still unforgivable to not campaign for Alex Jennings back in season 2 lol. Good thing he got a BAFTA TV nomination for a different project recently to go with his Olivier wins, and even Rufus Sewell managed to get a Guest Actor Emmy nom for Maisel. Brit character actors getting bigger recognition is what I stan.

You need to appear in less than 50% of the episodes. So if an actor’s in half, they’re forced to compete in the supporting categories, which pretty much screw them over as they have way less screen time than their competition. That’s what happened to Jared Harris for the first season of The Crown.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 170 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.