Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Guest Categories

Emmys 2020 Guest Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 170 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
thatnerdgreg
Riley Chow
  • Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a weird feeling that Ed Harris will end up just being a guest for Westworld this season. However, I could definitely be wrong. And even if he is in a guest-like role, with the shortened season he might end up having to contend in supporting anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

If either Jane Lapotaire, Geraldine Chaplin or Emerald Fennel win Guest Actress this yeae then The Crown might take Handmaids’s juggernaut title in this category because there is no way Claire Foy is not a lock for a nomination in Guest Actress next year (as for the win, we’ll have to see what else comes next year).

FYC BAFTA TV : Killing Eve, Russell Tovey, Years and Years, His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson
    FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer, Ruth Wilson, Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

If either Jane Lapotaire, Geraldine Chaplin or Emerald Fennel win Guest Actress this yeae then The Crown might take Handmaids’s juggernaut title in this category because there is no way Claire Foy is not a lock for a nomination in Guest Actress next year (as for the win, we’ll have to see what else comes next year).

Yeah, no. Foy is in no way anything until we’ve actually seen her performance. And TC is not becoming any juggernaut in this category after just one win, lol. Handmaid’s won three times in a row, and twice it wasn’t expected to – that’s why it’s a favorite here. I doubt the Crown even gets a nomination in guest actress this year (they’ll get a guest actor nom though)

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I am not expecting Claire Foy to be submitted, like the Jared Harris and John Lithgow flashback cameos last season. It did not sound to me like a full-fledged guest arc like Lithgow this season (and we shall still see if they even submit him).

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Comedy Guest Actress doesn’t have many contenders from SNL

I think PWB is enough for SNL.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

twice it wasn’t expected to

This is bending history a little bit as yes Wiley was second to Rigg but it was very acknowledged that it was a close race

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

This is bending history a little bit as yes Wiley was second to Rigg but it was very acknowledged that it was a close race

Still, my point stands: its wins in this category have been significant, even if everyone tries to ignore that, lol.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, no. Foy is in no way anything until we’ve actually seen her performance. And TC is not becoming any juggernaut in this category after just one win, lol. Handmaid’s won three times in a row, and twice it wasn’t expected to – that’s why it’s a favorite here. I doubt the Crown even gets a nomination in guest actress this year (they’ll get a guest actor nom though)

I didn’t say she was winning. I think there’s a high possibility she gets in though (although pls have more than Lithgow)

FYC BAFTA TV : Killing Eve, Russell Tovey, Years and Years, His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson
    FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer, Ruth Wilson, Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I forgot to mention Emmy nominee Marsha Stephanie Blake, who could submit for both “This Is Us” or “HTGAWM.” She gave the better performance, by a mile, on Murder, which bagged three acting bids last year.

If Stephanie Marshall Blake submits for both, then she won’t get nominated. She should stick with How To Get Away With Murder and she will have a much stronger chance at the nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

First attempt

GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
    1. Christopher Meloni – The Handmaid’s Tale
    2. Charles Dance – The Crown
    3. O.T. Fagbenle – The Handmaid’s Tale
    4. Don Johnson – Watchmen
    5. Ron Cephas Jones – This Is Us
    6. Omar Epps – This Is Us

7. Jovan Adepo – Watchmen
    8. BD Wong – Mr. Robot
    9. Denis O’Hare – Big Little Lies
    10. Esai Morales – How to Get Away with Murder

GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
    1. Alexis Bledel – The Handmaid’s Tale
    2. Jane Lapotaire – The Crown
    3. Phylicia Rashad – This Is Us
    4. Cicely Tyson – How to Get Away with Murder
    5. Geraldine Chaplin – The Crown
    6. Laverne Cox – Orange is the New Black

7. Cherry Jones – Succesion
    8. Hong Chau – Watchmen
    9. Marsha Stephanie Blake – This Is Us
    10. Patti LuPone – Pose
    11. Emerald Fennell – The Crown
    12. Julie Dretzin – The Handmaid’s Tale
    13. Anges Peppermint Moore – Pose
    14. Elisabeth Resser – The Handmaid’s Tale
    15. Marsha Stephanie Blake – How to Get Away with Murder

GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
    1. Eddie Murphy – Saturday Night Live
    2. Luke Kirby – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    3. Jon Hamm – Curb Your Enthusiasm
    4. Bob Einstein – Curb Your Enthusiasm
    5. Will Ferrell – Saturday Night Live
    6. RuPaul Charles – Saturday Night Live

7. Zachary Levi – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    8. Dev Patel – Modern Love
    9. Marshala Ali – Ramy
    10. Ted Danson – Curb Your Enthusiasm

GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
    1. Maya Rudolph – The Good Place
    2. Phoebe Waller-Bridge – Saturday Night Live
    3. Angela Bassett – A Black Lady Sketch Show
    4. Judith Light – The Politician
    5. Wanda Sykes – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    6. Lisa Kudrow – The Good Place

7. Anne Hathaway – Modern Love
    8. Liza Weil – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    9. Bette Midler – The Politician
    10. Laverne Cox – Curb Your Enthusiasm

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

First attempt GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES 1. Christopher Meloni – The Handmaid’s Tale 2. Charles Dance – The Crown 3. O.T. Fagbenle – The Handmaid’s Tale 4. Don Johnson – Watchmen 5. Ron Cephas Jones – This Is Us 6. Omar Epps – This Is Us — 7. Jovan Adepo – Watchmen 8. BD Wong – Mr. Robot 9. Denis O’Hare – Big Little Lies 10. Esai Morales – How to Get Away with Murder GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES 1. Alexis Bledel – The Handmaid’s Tale 2. Jane Lapotaire – The Crown 3. Phylicia Rashad – This Is Us 4. Cicely Tyson – How to Get Away with Murder 5. Geraldine Chaplin – The Crown 6. Laverne Cox – Orange is the New Black — 7. Cherry Jones – Succesion 8. Hong Chau – Watchmen 9. Marsha Stephanie Blake – This Is Us 10. Patti LuPone – Pose 11. Emerald Fennell – The Crown 12. Julie Dretzin – The Handmaid’s Tale 13. Anges Peppermint Moore – Pose 14. Elisabeth Resser – The Handmaid’s Tale 15. Marsha Stephanie Blake – How to Get Away with Murder GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES 1. Eddie Murphy – Saturday Night Live 2. Luke Kirby – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 3. Jon Hamm – Curb Your Enthusiasm 4. Bob Einstein – Curb Your Enthusiasm 5. Will Ferrell – Saturday Night Live 6. RuPaul Charles – Saturday Night Live – 7. Zachary Levi – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 8. Dev Patel – Modern Love 9. Marshala Ali – Ramy 10. Ted Danson – Curb Your Enthusiasm GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES 1. Maya Rudolph – The Good Place 2. Phoebe Waller-Bridge – Saturday Night Live 3. Angela Bassett – A Black Lady Sketch Show 4. Judith Light – The Politician 5. Wanda Sykes – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 6. Lisa Kudrow – The Good Place – 7. Anne Hathaway – Modern Love 8. Liza Weil – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 9. Bette Midler – The Politician 10. Laverne Cox – Curb Your Enthusiasm

Denis O’Hare is ineligible for BLL since he appeared in more than 3 episodes (so more than 50%).

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Bob Einstein – Curb Your Enthusiasm 

I haven’t gotten around to the newest episode yet, but was Einstein in it? Cause I thought I heard he passed away before this new season began filming. I’d love to see him on the show one last time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

He is not in this season.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Maya Rudolph – The Good Place 2. Phoebe Waller-Bridge – Saturday Night Live 3. Angela Bassett – A Black Lady Sketch Show 4. Judith Light – The Politician 5. Wanda Sykes – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 6. Lisa Kudrow – The Good Place – 7. Anne Hathaway – Modern Love 8. Liza Weil – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 9. Bette Midler – The Politician 10. Laverne Cox – Curb Your Enthusiasm

I’m pretty sure Liza Weil appeared in more than half the episodes, meaning she has to compete in supporting. Which shows the obvious flaw with this system, as she only had like one scene of note, with almost every other appearance just being her in the background. As a huge fan of the show, I hope Wanda Sykes doesn’t get nominated. She’s good for the brief time she’s on screen, but it’s still extremely brief and doesn’t give her any material that would make her deserving of a nomination. However, I can definitely see her making the cut. She’s a big name in a show that actors love, and after Fiona Shaw made it for such a small and understated part last year, I don’t see why it wouldn’t happen again. I recall seeing someone else posting that Justine Lupe should get in, which wouldn’t upset me. She’d be much more deserving than Weil and Sykes. She definitely won’t make it in though.

ReplyCopy URL
    rlk
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure Liza Weil appeared in more than half the episodes, meaning she has to compete in supporting. Which shows the obvious flaw with this system, as she only had like one scene of note, with almost every other appearance just being her in the background.

I recognize and agree with what you’re saying. But after the wins by John Lithgow and Joe Morton in Guest categories when they were mostly Supporting roles, NATAS had to do something to tell shows what is considered a guest and what isn’t. It’s not a perfect system, but clearly Academy members couldn’t be trusted to be honest in their own submissions.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 170 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.