Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Guest Categories

Emmys 2020 Guest Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 503 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
FYC : J. Smit..
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Is it possible that Cherry Jones could cancel herself out of a nomination for Guest Actress?

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

Not on the current voting system.

Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

can you elaborate on that a bit more? (i’m new to this Emmy’s world, so i’m still learning ’bout it;))

I believe it is by last name of the actor. I heard that some ballots start with with A and some ballots start with z.

thank you for your reply. i’ve just checked last year’s Emmy ballot for performers (https://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/ballots/performer-2019-v1-ballot.pdf).
    it seems Cherry Jones will be listed first with THT performance, then with Succession’s.

btw, this ballot is soooo loooong. how does any voter really go through it??

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Cicely Tyson tops our (super) early odds and I’m going to enjoy it for the three seconds that it lasts.

A day later and she’s still the frontrunner – by a bigger margin than yesterday! I say keep this up. Let’s give this living legend what she deserves!

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    FYC : J. Smith-Cameron
    Topics:

Succession is my personal pick for drama series this year, and sadly I don’t think the actors branch will embrace it. That’s why I’m only predicting Cox. If Walter makes the cut, my predictions are screwed. I can only see her making the cut in a situation where Succession shows up in at least 8 acting nominations.

I actually disagree because I think Walter may be the second most likely actor for Succession and I think its thanks to her current role in Killing Eve. Killing Eve has no guest actress competing in this category and I think as soon as Killing Eve fans see Walter they might just check her off. We’ve already seen this happen multiple times in this category (and its comedy equivalent) already, whether it is Ann Dowd getting checked off for The Leftovers, Jane Lynch getting checked off for Two and a Half Men or Fiona Shaw getting checked off for Fleabag.

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Where’s Elliot Villar for Mr. Robot? I was hoping to see his name listed. Dude should easily get nominated for the “407 Proxy Authentication Required” episode. Is he not eligible?

They do not watch it. If they were watching it, we all were going to predict Malek for the win as he gave a legendary performance.

I actually disagree because I think Walter may be the second most likely actor for Succession and I think its thanks to her current role in Killing Eve. Killing Eve has no guest actress competing in this category and I think as soon as Killing Eve fans see Walter they might just check her off. We’ve already seen this happen multiple times in this category (and its comedy equivalent) already, whether it is Ann Dowd getting checked off for The Leftovers, Jane Lynch getting checked off for Two and a Half Men or Fiona Shaw getting checked off for Fleabag.

I agree with you, it helps that she plays two completely different characters, she was fantastic in Succession as well, her big scene was one of the cruelest thing I have ever seen on screen.

Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

I think Walter may be the second most likely actor for Succession and I think its thanks to her current role in Killing Eve. Killing Eve has no guest actress competing in this category and I think as soon as Killing Eve fans see Walter they might just check her off.

She’ll be on the ballot for Belgravia, too. Not sure how much traction that’s going to have with Emmy voters, but it doesn’t hurt to have that much visibility across so many viable contenders.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

A day later and she’s still the frontrunner – by a bigger margin than yesterday! I say keep this up. Let’s give this living legend what she deserves!

It still breaks my heart that Cicely Tyson lost Guest Actress in 2015 because the scene where she confesses about burning the house is a haunting one for me.

Profile picture
    michael11391
    Topics:

They do not watch it. If they were watching it, we all were going to predict Malek for the win as he gave a legendary performance.

They just can’t simply ignore both Villar & Malek, that episode alone along with Gloria Reuben (though unfortunately, this year’s class of guest drama actress is loaded, I don’t think she has a shot but she’s really deserving of a nom) should easily Garner them nominations. That’s some of the the best acting i’ve seen in a tv series.

As much as I love Cox/Strong in Succession & Bateman in Ozark. Haven’t seen S5 of Better Saul yet so can’t comment on Odenkirk yet though he’s always great so i’m sure he’s still gives another terrific performance. Rami Malek is my pick, man. S4 was not just only his best performance of the series but of his career so far. Heck, i’ll be fine with him getting a nom at least. I wouldn’t be mad at all if Cox, Strong or Bateman take the award, I love them in both Succession & Ozark, respectively. Either of them deserve it.

All I want to see is Malek get rewarded for his amazing performance. And Villar, if hopefully, he’s eligible. He appeared in 3 episodes I think.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Gloria Reuben (though unfortunately, this year’s class of guest drama actress is loaded, I don’t think she has a shot but she’s really deserving of a nom)

I actually think she might stand a minor chance of getting in. She’s a well-known character actress who has done amazing work throughout Mr. Robot’s 4 seasons. Plus she’s a previous 2-time Emmy nominee for ER back in the day. She was beyond phenomenal this season! (along with Mr. Malek)

Her biggest challenge will be whether or not enough voters tuned into the final season of Mr. Robot. She gave a better performance than a lot of the leading contenders this year. Just saying.

Profile picture
    michael11391
    Topics:

Well, let’s hope so. Indeed, she was phenomenal this season as well as the whole series!

Is it possible that Cherry Jones could cancel herself out of a nomination for Guest Actress?

She’s barely in The Handmaid’s Tale and she was way, way better in Succession so yeah, I really think she should push hard for her role in Succession.

Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

can you elaborate on that a bit more? (i’m new to this Emmy’s world, so i’m still learning ’bout it;))

Voters for the last few years have been allowed to vote for as many as they want per nominating ballot.  So in this case, even if a voter loves five other drama guest actress performances, they do not have to choose between the Cherry Jones performances for the hypothetical sixth slot on their nominating ballot.  They can just vote for seven performances (or seventeen).

it seems Cherry Jones will be listed first with THT performance, then with Succession’s.

Half the voters get the options in reverse-alphabetical order when they are actually logged into the online voting platform.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Julie Dretzin has entered the top 6!

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

Half the voters get the options in reverse-alphabetical order when they are actually logged into the online voting platform.

thanks Riley, you’re once again very helpful 🙂

this reverse-alphabetical order seems fair…

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Julie Dretzin has entered the top 6!

It’s what she deserves.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Guest Categories’ is closed to new replies.