Home Forums TV Emmys 2020 Guest Categories

Emmys 2020 Guest Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 496 through 501 (of 501 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

No disrespect intended but isn’t this kind of the bare minimum expectation for an actor?

What I meant is that she’s so natural that you couldn’t tell it was acting. That’s flawless acting for me.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Jodi Balfour was snubbed, despite an acclaimed performance that was the only push from The Crown in the category, with the show being a frontrunner that was coming off a SAG win. I just think that voters take these grandma performances for granted unless they are played by favourites like Cloris Leachman or Cicely Tyson.

To be fair, Balfour’s performance isn’t anywhere near the level of Lapotaire, and I feel like the latter has much more buzz than the former did.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Mindy Kaling is not happening and I say this as someone who is predicting TMS to overperform.

I don’t get how Lapotaire is in 7th in the odds. She gives an acclaimed performance in one of the frontrunners, that just won SAG esemble and is the show’s only push in the category. She should be a lock, or am I missing something?

This category has previous nominees or winners Bledel, Rashad, Tyson and Jones with 2 submissions. Then it has the always nominated Laverne Cox or actresses from THT or TIU like Pamela Adlon that can get in aswell. I have Lapotaire in but I can totally see why some don’t.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

To be fair, Balfour’s performance isn’t anywhere near the level of Lapotaire, and I feel like the latter has much more buzz than the former did.

When I watched season 2 for the first time, it never crossed my mind having Balfour as a Guest nominee. I thought she was good but just that. Nothing more. And tbh this is the first time I’m hearing that she was predicted to get in. And like you said, she didn’t had half of the buzz Jane is receiving nor the acclaim.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

And tbh this is the first time I’m hearing that she was predicted to get in. And like you said, she didn’t had half of the buzz Jane is receiving nor the acclaim.

I think that this is actually a bit of a revisionist take, which is understandable because she was not nominated and the campaign had other priorities, but she was the title character of the most popular episode of the season: “Dear Mrs. Kennedy”.  Some receipts:

I can see Foy, Smith, Kirby and Balfour making the cut, with Balfour and Foy winning. Hall plays Kennedy minimally, but that’s because it is more Jackie’s episode tha it is JFK’s. Balfour is a marvel, and I would have liked to have seen what she would have done in Jackie (2016).

Jodi Balfour may end up being my personal winner in guest actress.

Jodi Balfour was great as Jackie and would be a worthy Emmy nominee

I could definitely see a Jodie Balfour nomination as she delivered a memorable performance.

I swear if Jodie Balfour was better known the guest actress category would be locked down

Jodi Balfour– Voters watch the Crown, and her episode could be nominated for writing and directing. Her performance was acclaimed and visibility won’t be the problem.

Jodi Balfour and even though I pretty much hate her show, Cicely Tyson are my favorites in this category.

Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

[/quote]

This category has previous nominees or winners Bledel, Rashad, Tyson and Jones with 2 submissions. Then it has the always nominated Laverne Cox or actresses from THT or TIU like Pamela Adlon that can get in aswell. I have Lapotaire in but I can totally see why some don’t.

[/quote]

But people are using the SAG snub against This is Us and Succession in supporting, so I guess it should apply here too, especially since the former already has Rashad, who is probably a lock, and Cherry Jones is not getting in for both (I have right now, but just cause I can’t choose).

Jodi Balfour was snubbed, despite an acclaimed performance that was the only push from The Crown in the category, with the show being a frontrunner that was coming off a SAG win. I just think that voters take these grandma performances for granted unless they are played by favourites like Cloris Leachman or Cicely Tyson.

Good point, didn’t remember her. The Crown doesn’t get the love they should in guest categories.

Viewing 6 posts - 496 through 501 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Guest Categories’ is closed to new replies.