Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Movie/Limited Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

Emmys 2020 Movie/Limited Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 443 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
The Person Fo..
Stranger_Amon..
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I did not say that I did not like Toni’s performance. I did like her performance, but I did not think it was the best in this category.

I am referring to this:

I think some people are saying that she deserved the Emmy because others from the show were snubbed.

It’s unfair to assume that people liked her performance sort of out of pity. Some us just considered her work the best in the category, regardless of her two co-stars’ snubs.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Jean Smart was robbed again.

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

It’s unfair to assume that people liked her performance sort of out of pity. Some us just considered her work the best in the category, regardless of her two co-stars’ snubs.

Luca, I get what you are saying. At the same time, I said I think some people are saying that Toni deserved the Emmy because the others were snubbed. I did not make a 100% blanket statement saying that everyone thinks this.

Do not make me go Annalise Keating on you.

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

It is interesting that Jean Smart’s Emmy wins have been in comedy – 2 in Guest Actress for Frasier (2000 and 2001) and 1 for Supporting Actress for Samantha Who in 2008. Jean has been deserving for her work in Drama too – 24 and Harry’s Law. Jean had the chance to win in the Comedy, Drama, and Movie/Limited categories.

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

Was she tho? All three of Mrs. America actresses and Toni Collette were more deserving than her. She rightfully lost.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I would LOVE it if Regina appeared in another Limited Series for 2022 and came up against Julia Garner for Inventing Anna.

Also agree with Luca all the women were phenomenal. I was a biy iffy about Holland Taylor at first but she was one of the only good things about that car crash of a show. Would have preferred it though if we had 8 nominees and Paulson and Byrne/Graynor made it in.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Maybe it’s just me but …isn’t Regina King a bit overrated?

My favorite TV performance from her, of course, was not nominated.. The Leftovers.

But these 4 Emmys?
    In American Crime I never saw her as the standout…Felicity Huffman was in season 1 and Huffman and Lily Taylor were in season 2.
    In Seven Seconds was great but I was surprised she was able to pick the lead Emmy.
    And I loved her in Watchmen but I would given the Emmy to Haas and the Unbelievable ladies before her.

No. I see this as a course correction for years and years of Regina King’s unrecognized work. “Southland,” “The Leftovers,” “The Boondocks,” “Ray,” “Jerry Maguire,” “Boyz n the Hood,” “Poetic Justice,” and on and on. Her first Emmy win was excellent. Network television had never seen a black Muslim woman portrayed like that before advocating for her accused brother. It was very significant, and she did that shit. I’d have rewarded her for season 3 of “American Crime” over season 2, but no one was winning over the Year of Renata. Haven’t seen “Seven Seconds” yet. Thrilled for her “Watchmen” win! Can’t wait to see her direction in “One Night in Miami” as well.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Maybe it’s just me but …isn’t Regina King a bit overrated? My favorite TV performance from her, of course, was not nominated.. The Leftovers. But these 4 Emmys? In American Crime I never saw her as the standout…Felicity Huffman was in season 1 and Huffman and Lily Taylor were in season 2. In Seven Seconds was great but I was surprised she was able to pick the lead Emmy. And I loved her in Watchmen but I would given the Emmy to Haas and the Unbelievable ladies before her.

I disagree.

Sometimes I feel like (and this is talking about people as viewers as a whole) we expect a performer to be showy and therefore think that means the performance is excellent. I mean it’s not a criticism of people who like showy performances and showy performances are obviously quite good but I feel like we underestimate the talent behind and how phenomenal subtle performances and subtle performers. I preferred Blanchett, Haas and Washington but imo what King does in Watchmen is a masterclass in acting. Yes Blanchett and Haas’s performance are big achievements (and as I said I preferred them) but they’re playing characters who either are real life figures who they can more or less imitate who not many people know or they’re speaking in a language that not many people speak. King arguably has a much harder job (as does Washington too) as she has to play a character who isn’t a character who is more or less is like a real life person. King has to portray a multi-faceted character without sounding wooden. She has to portray someone who even people who know nothing about the story of the series will know because at the end of the day Angela has to be a real and normal person in our minds. Like I said she wasn’t my first choice but it’s still an incredibly deserving win and I think Regina is one of the smartest actors of her generation.

I mean the choices she made in the scene that won her the Oscar alone. I haven’t seen either Seven Seconds or The Leftovers but I hope to start the latter one day. I head her performance in that is meant to be her best.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Haven’t seen “Seven Seconds” yet.

I’ll pipe in here. She was AMAZING in Seven Seconds and deserved that Emmy on merit alone.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

I still don’t understand how most slept on Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. Like I said, vote-splitting isn’t the end all be all, it should be examined on a case by case basis, and when it’s obvious, IT’S OBVIOUS! He was the standout of the three (four if you included not nominated Tim Blake Nelson) and acted opposite Regina THEE King. It also reminds me of Nicole Kidman and Alexander Skarsgård, but superior.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Jim Parsons wasn’t winning with that competition.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Mmkay

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Critics Choice flopped by rewarding both Smart and Collette only for the two to go on and lose to someone with vote splitting factor.

Collette was deserving but I honestly don’t know why she was second in the predictions centre. It was clearly Aduba vs Smart with Ullman as a potential spoiler.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Why would Ullmann be a potential spoiler?

Collette being 2nd in prediction center made all the sense in the world.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why would Ullmann be a potential spoiler?

Because her performance was being talked about more than Martindale, Taylor and even Collette’s closer to the ceremony. Critics, actors and audiences were raving about how transformational her performance was and how Ullman steered away from what she was known to have done before (i.e. being a comic and an impressionist) to deliver a truly multi-faceted and dramatic performance without it being a caricature. I had her third because we’ve seen how this has benefitted performers before (see Zendaya, Williams for the wins and Niecy Nash and Jennifer Aniston for the nominations) but as I said I had her as a spoiler. I don’t think she was winning.

I also don’t think she was name-checked and that it was more voters got up to episode 4/5 of Mrs. America. I mean Sarah Paulson is a more name-checky name for the acting branch than Tracey Ullman.

Also with why I don’t understand why Collette was second in the predictions centre well I said this over and over again (and I was someone who thought Collette was winning before the nominations were announced because of a vote split and because I thought Wever was in) if Patricia Clarkson can lose when she had more support from the actors branch, a narrative and a performance actors were just as passionate about then there was no way Collette was close to winning with no narrative and with her show not getting either broad support from branches or being able to get one of its Leads in when it’s such an acclaimed and widely watched show that dominated places like TCA and Critics Choice and the Globes.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 443 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Movie/Limited Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers’ is closed to new replies.