Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

As StuGotz of ESPN’s morning radio show with Dan LeBatard would say in his weekend observations report every Monday, “A tradition…unlike any other.”

😐

Back again I see guest 2018. PS: told ya she would get snubbed 🙂

ma

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes, but it happens infrequently––5 Comedy Series wins in the last 20 years without a Writing nomination, 3 Series wins without Directing. Friends won without either nomination in 2002, but that was before voting rules changed slightly in 2015. Ditto Modern Family, which won three years in a row without a Writing nomination, but it won Directing each of those times. I did a deep dive on this yesterday here.

So there is a possibility for Insecure to win.

I think I’m going to stick with Maisel/Schitt’s right now but I think whatever wins Casting is going to win Series (I think here it is more indicative of who will win rather than how it is on the Drama or Limited side).

Given that WWDITS ended up getting quite a bit of love I was kinda surprised not to see him there. It’s a stacked category but they could easily have swapped out Brad Pitt.

I will now know never to underestimate SNL in the guest categories. Even if something like Fleabag, Schitt’s, Maisel, Lisa Kudrow or Judith Light are competing.

To be fair though I did predict Rudolph for SNL in the end which I am quite pleased about.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

So there is a possibility for Insecure to win.

Definitely an uphill battle, but it’s possible that it gets some Program votes from the Writing and Directing branches despite the snubs. They over-submitted on the ballot: 5 episodes in Directing, 3 in Writing. But it’s clear writers don’t love the series as much as Shadows, which got all three of its scripts nominated.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This years Series race is so interesting because unlike last year where Barry and Fleabag had support from everywhere each show this year has its own weaknesses in different branches. Whether it’s with Schitt’s in acting, Maisel in writing, Insecure in writing and directing, Shadows in acting and directing or The Good Place in directing. I have a feeling the idea of Schitt’s or Maisel easily winning or being locks for any awards is premature (although they will undoubtedly win something above the line). I mean for all we know Catherine O’Hara and Brosnahan (who both are very deserving) could lose to Issa Rae this year? Or Yvonne Orji could be the next actress to 2- peat.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I will now know never to underestimate SNL in the guest categories. Even if something like Fleabag, Schitt’s, Maisel, Lisa Kudrow or Judith Light are competing.

To be fair though I did predict Rudolph for SNL in the end which I am quite pleased about.

Indeed. I do think they were helped by the one-two punch of the Eddie Murphy and Adam Driver episodes, which were their best reviewed for a good while and reminded voters that a good host can carry the show. That and those two have such strong name recognition that anyone who didn’t see the episodes is likely to tick their box anyway.

Pitt got in on the strength of playing Anthony Fauci and nothing else IMO.

I would just say in reference to previous posts, racial diversity is needed across pretty much all shows.

But Schitt’s Creek has been a beacon of light for LGBT+ people.

Let’s not forget that when we’re saying it’s got diversity going against it. It’s got diversity in its corner (to a certain extent) too. Also the show is probably the first in line to take aim at its white privilege.

Agreed. Yeah it’s a show full of white people, but its impact for LGBT+ representation is significant and worthy of reward.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I’m laughing that so many people are predicting “On The Run” dead last for comedy writing. I don’t think it’ll win, but there’s no way that former Atlanta writing nominee, Stefani Robinson is in last place guys.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Writers names aren’t on the ballot.

I think at least one of Yvonne Orji or Issa Rae is winning if not both.

Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

I think Schitt’s has the support from all the branches and the momentum to win series and, at least, two acting prizes + writing and/or directing.

But I also remember that in 00’s, the only shows to win 5/7 comedy categories were juggernauts MF win 2011 and Maisel in 2018 and I know don’t know if Schitts has this amount of power. Maybe I’ll only pick 4 awards (Series, Actor, Actress and Writing?).

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

Friends was snubbed in both writing and directing, but let’s not forget that it was nominated for casting. Since 2000, only 3 times the comedy series winner was snubbed for casting: Everybody Loves Raymond (2003, 2005) and The Office (2006). Some remarks here: Raymond was never nominated for casting and The Office had only one casting nomination in 2009.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Insecure got in for Casting though…

I think Schitt’s has the support from all the branches and the momentum to win series and, at least, two acting prizes + writing and/or directing.

But I also remember that in 00’s, the only shows to win 5/7 comedy categories were juggernauts MF win 2011 and Maisel in 2018 and I know don’t know if Schitts has this amount of power. Maybe I’ll only pick 4 awards (Series, Actor, Actress and Writing?).

I’d say that considering no show has ever fully swept on the Drama and Comedy side I doubt the first will be Schitt’s Creek (especially in the current climate).

I’m currently predicting Schitt’s for Series, Supporting Actor and Writing. Schitt’s, Maisel and Insecure are winning at least one acting category but I don’t know which one yet or if they will take multiple.

Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

Writers names aren’t on the ballot.

I’m pretty sure Writers do their homework

Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

I’m currently predicting Schitt’s for Series, Supporting Actor and Writing. Schitt’s, Maisel and Insecure are winning at least one acting category but I don’t know which one yet or if they will take multiple.

I have Issa in #2 and Yvonne in #3, but somehow I feel like Yvonne is more like to upset HAHAHA

I think Ali or Chipi are winning supporting actor. Can you imagine if in a category with 5 black actors, the winner being white? I think they’ll pass Shaloub/Levy in this one.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Brown wins supporting actor, they love Maisel and if he wins then they are rewarding both, a black actor and a Maisel actor at the same time.

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

I have Issa in #2 and Yvonne in #3, but somehow I feel like Yvonne is more like to upset HAHAHA

I think Ali or Chipi are winning supporting actor. Can you imagine if in a category with 5 black actors, the winner being white? I think they’ll pass Shaloub/Levy in this one.

If voters watched the last season of Insecure, they could vote for Orji because of “Lowkey Trippin'” episode.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I’d say that considering no show has ever fully swept on the Drama and Comedy side I doubt the first will be Schitt’s Creek (especially in the current climate).

If Schitt’s only takes one acting prize I can’t see past it being Catherine O’Hara. Reasons being: she’s a legend, the character has become iconic, Brosnahan won it already, Schitt’s has the final season thing going for it and the only potential spoiler is Issa Rae.

I think Schitt’s is winning Actress and at least one of the Supporting awards, most likely Actress. Dan Levy has a shot in both Directing and Writing so the actors may go elsewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.