Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 503 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

So my Supporting Actress ranking : 1. Yvonne Orji (People keep thinking Annie Murphy will break Borstein’s winning streak but no Supporting Actress (unless you’re including Kristen Chenoweth) has won this category since Doris Roberts in 2005.  

I know this probably isn’t what you mean but – no Supporting Actress has won Supporting Actress since 2005?

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Rankings

Comedy Series
    1. Schitts Creek, It now has support from pretty much all branches, 11 more noms than last year, passion pick
    2. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, previous winner, most nominated comedy
    3. Insecure, Surprising 8 nominations, missed writing & directing, BLM Movement
    4. The Good Place, over performed with the acting branch, final season narrative
    5. What We Do in the Shadows, humongous writing support
    6. Dead to Me, Don’t see winning, underperformed in noms
    7. Curb Your Enthusiasm, completely underperformed
    8. The Kominsky Method, filler Nominee

Comedy Actress:
    1. Catherine O’Hara, as much as I’d love a PoC to win, O’Hara truly deserves it and I can’t see her losing atm. I think Schitts will win at least one acting award, and nobodies winning without O’Hara
    2. Issa Rae, Her show blew up, could be first PoC to win since 80s
    3. Rachel Brosnahan, Dont see her winning again, unless weak competition
    4. Christina Applegate, Overdue for Lead emmy, brilliant performance
    5. Tracee Ellis Ross, Overdue factor, could be first PoC since 80s
    6. Linda Cardellini, Applegate will most likely take votes

Comedy Actor;
    1. Ramy Youssef, Levy and Danson had bad seasons, first muslim actor to win I believe (correct me if I’m wrong), although his show missed in series
    2. Eugene Levy, If Schitts sweeps then he could win, overdue factor & co-creator of show
    3. Ted Danson, Also overdue factor, final season narrative
    4. Anthony Anderson, PoC narrative & overdue
    5. Michael Douglas, Filler
    6. Don Cheadle, Overdue, no chance of winning

Comedy Supporting Actress:
    1. Annie Murphy, Most people’s MVPs of this season, only chance to reward amazing performance
    2. Alex Borstein, won last 2 years
    3. Yvonne Orji, I can only see her win if Issa Rae wins as well
    4. D’Arcy Carden, I believe last season of TGP was just added so her Janets episode could gain votes, last chance to reward a great performance
    5. Kate McKinnon, Previous 2 Time winner, no chance of winning
    6. Betty Gilpin, nominated last 3 years, not being pushed by Netflix
    7. Cecily Strong, Finally deserved SNL nomination, no chance of winning
    8. Marin Hinkle, Borstein will take most votes

Comedy Supporting Actor:
    1. Dan Levy, Could do a PWB, great performance, only time to reward
    2. Tony Shalhoub, Won last year, Maisels most likely acting win
    3. Mahershala Ali, Oscar Nominee but it’s a guest role
    4. Sterling K Brown, Will take some votes from Shalhoub but don’t see winning
    5. William Jackson Harper, Could really be anywhere from 4th to 7th, good final nomination, great season
    6. Alan Arkin, Series is a filler, can’t see winning
    7. Kenan Thompson, No chance at a win
    8. Andre Braugher, Good that he could get back in, but not enough support to win

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

2018 – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2019 – Fleabag
    2020 – Schitt’s Creek
    2021 – None of the last two
    I love the fact that we have moved on from shows dominating the top prize for years!

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Maisel most likely won’t be back in time so we will have a new winner for sure.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just don’t see Schitt’s Creek winning three acting awards. I mean not even Fleabag could win three and that was more beloved by actors.

Also lol at people thinking Brown is going to take votes away from Shalhoub when Shalhoub and Borstein are considered the supporting MVPs of Maisel by a large margin.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Nope, I’m not that user. I have every right to think O’Hara does not deserve to win, given there are at least 3 women in the category who are more deserving.

He keeps coming back like a bad boomerang so I apologize since that’s usually how he starts off. Anyways, welcome to GD

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

I just don’t see Schitt’s Creek winning three acting awards. I mean not even Fleabag could win three and that was more beloved by actors.

Also lol at people thinking Brown is going to take votes away from Shalhoub when Shalhoub and Borstein are considered the supporting MVPs of Maisel by a large margin.

In a way, I get your argument but if “Fleabag” was loved by actors, why wasn’t Andrew Scott nominated at the Emmys and why did only PWB win the SAG? But as someone currently predicting an acting sweep by “Schitt’s Creek,” I also can’t foresee more than three actors winning. I just don’t know who doesn’t win at this point.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I doubt Eugene Levy wins. He’s undoubtedly the weakest link of the main four acting-wise, and he just doesn’t have the same material as the rest of them.

I think Youssef takes this one easily. He fits the trend they’ve started to go for in that category almost to a T: creator/writer/director of a darker more realism-based comedy. There are only two things I see standing in his way: that his show couldn’t make series (especially over CYE even as Youssef beat David to a nom), and that he’s much less of an established name as Glover or Hader. Atlanta and Barry felt so exciting for Glover and Hader because they were extreme departures from what they’d traditionally done before (more light-hearted fare on Community and SNL). Youssef has less going for him than those other two, but I still think he fits the mold of what they’re liking right now so well that he’ll make it on (the virtual) stage anyway.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I think the comparison is flawed because Youssef and his show aren’t anywhere near as big as Glover and PWB. With that being said, I think he’ll win for his direction.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Thing with Ramy, I don’t think that many people have watched his show, Millions of people from all over the world watched Fleabag

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

I think Ramy is more comparable with Masters of None.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Under Performered – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel – Curb Your Enthusiasm – What We Do in the Shadows

Dude, they got three writing nominations.

He was talking about the acting noms only.

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.