Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 504 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
GregSprinkles
  • Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

He was talking about the acting noms only.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Dude, they got three writing nominations.

It says Acting Branch

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Sandra Oh & Fiona Shaw, Cicely Tyson

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing & directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

*How the hell were Merritt Wever and Rose Byrne snubbed

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Not one person was expecting WWDITS to get any acting nominations.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Thing with Ramy, I don’t think that many people have watched his show, Millions of people from all over the world watched Fleabag

Doesn’t mean it can’t win Actor, S. Actor and Directing.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I just included all series nominees & shows that got acting noms.

Doesn’t mean it can’t win Actor, S. Actor and Directing.

Ye I know, I never said that. Just people comparing it to PWB and Fleabag seems a bit far fetched I don’t think it’s watched enough. It missed Series which most of us were predicting it to get. I’m predicting it for Actor atm

FYC 2020 EMMYS

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing & directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And also I don’t understand how Dead to Me is considered as performing ok to that user when it couldn’t a Supporting Actor it was predicted to get in (Marsden was seventh in the odds) and how Maisel is an under performance when it literally got the most acting nominations.

Ye I know, I never said that. Just people comparing it to PWB and Fleabag seems a bit far fetched I don’t think it’s watched enough. It missed Series which most of us were predicting it to get. I’m predicting it for Actor atm

Considering it got Actor, S. Actor and Directing it could very well be watched enough. After all it more or less got the same nominations as The Morning Show.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

And also I don’t understand how Dead to Me is considered as performing ok to that user when it couldn’t a Supporting Actor it was predicted to get in (Marsden was seventh in the odds) and how Maisel is an under performance when it literally got the most acting nominations.

I moved Dead to Me under the underperforming category, I forgot Marsden missed when I wrote it.

FYC 2020 EMMYS

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Mark Hamill maybe could’ve surprised in Guest Actor but that was always the longest of shots in a sea of Maisel & SNL.

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

Obviously it isn’t, the comparison was to stress the do-it-all people they like to reward lately.

Yes, but I’m just stressing that those two people you mentioned are far more famous and popular than Youssef, and their shows were bigger overall contenders as well, so the path to their wins was much easier than the path to his.

Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

I don’t understand how Dead to Me is considered as performing ok to that user when it couldn’t a Supporting Actor it was predicted to get in (Marsden was seventh in the odds) and how Maisel is an under performance when it literally got the most acting nominations.

Assessing over/under-performance is not just a function of the odds.  It is more based on how attainable things are and also how much they should be.  First of all, Dead to Me has a smaller cast.  I do not remember how many regular cast members they submitted, but it might as well have just been three.  Even an ardent fan is not going to check off the son or whomever.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has a deeper bench of showy performances, so it had a higher ceiling. Then you consider the individuals.  The worst Dead to Me snub was James Marsden, who is someone who has never been nominated, whose character died last season and whose performance is fun, but pretty light.  The worst The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel snub was Jane Lynch, who has won five Emmys from twelve nominations in the last decade and is giving a literally theatrical performance.  Even by your metric though, Marsden ranked seventh in the odds and Lynch was third, so her snub is worse.

Then there is how the stage is set.  Dead to Me came into this year with a single nomination under its belt; The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel had thirty-four, including six acting wins.  Nominations are easier the more established that you are.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is so established that it has probably reached peak visibility, which means that the sky is the limit for nominations.  Wins are a different matter because they come down to passion.  Dead to Me has probably not reached peak visibility within the industry, so any snubs could be the result of that.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel cannot use that excuse; snubs for it are going to be proper rejections.  For some contenders, the nomination is the hurdle.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is not such a contender.  Nominations should have been easier for it than wins, so if it is struggling with nominations, that does not bode well for its win prospects. I am not saying that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is not win-competitive though. It might simply be so far ahead of the rest that it can afford some rejection.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree with this analysis of Maisel. I am confused thought as to whether it under-performed or just performed ok in acting. It’s so weird because after all it got Wanda Sykes who was not really considered a sure thing and had only two guest acting Emmy nominations and got a third nomination this year for essentially having a 10 second cameo on the show in the final episode whilst Lynch got snubbed for appearing in more than half the season. I mean sure you could call Sykes’s nomination a name check but if it really was a name check then why didn’t they nominate her for Black-ish instead or along with her Maisel performance considering that Black-ish didn’t have a hard time in acting this year when it got Tracee Ellis Ross in as a name check. I mean Alexander, Levi, Zeagan and McClain’s snubs are explainable (Lynch’s obviously isn’t) but I don’t understand how actors nominated Sykes unless they watched this season of Maisel and liked it. I mean it’s the same thing I felt at SAG this year with Borstein’s nomination and Shalhoub’s win. People thought Tony Shalhoub won in 2018 due to a vote split (which I initially agreed with) but with Andrew Scott riding a big narrative and Bill Hader not splitting votes with Henry Winkler this time there shouldn’t have been a reason for Shalhoub to win unless he really is in a very strong place awards wise. Same with Borstein because there shouldn’t have been a reason why she got nominated at SAG along with Brosnahan this year when that category was probably the most competitive it had ever been. Heck it could have even been possible that Brosnahan would have won SAG had Borstein been snubbed (that being said I’m comfortable with my prediction of either Rae or O’Hara winning this).

This may sound like I am a biased stan wanting Maisel to win (I mean I don’t mind if it wins but I’m not so pressed that I will scream down these forums if it loses) but I remember another user suggesting the Emmys were over Maisel because it got the same nominations as last time. Whilst that can be seen as being true because it failed to get more nominations in a weaker Comedy field I realised the show isn’t really competing in Comedy fields below the line. It’s competing in One Hour fields against shows like The CrownOzark and Stranger Things. It is very possible that it did well below the line last time because there was such an empty field with the One Hour categories it was competing in that it was able to rack up wins and nominations (this is also the line of thinking I am using with why The Mandalorian managed to specifically get to the number 15 in nominations in the half hour categories although let’s face it it was probably going to do well with things like Barry and Russian Doll competing there (although maybe not this well)). This year it has managed to cling on to all of its below the line nominations (if we’re counting Guest Acting as above the line) when craft heavyweights such as The Crown came back and it faced new competition from Mrs. America and Hollywood. Albeit it did lose an editing nomination but then again it only submitted once in editing this time whilst it submitted twice last time. It’s writing snub in this open a field is concerning and is the reason why I am not predicting it to win Series but it still has done pretty well in nominations for itself and has hit every branch except writing. I mean it managed to get a cinematography nomination in the ultra competitive one hour category whilst Schitt’s missed out in the barren half hour category. Then again like I said I’m still predicting Schitt’s for the win but I think it’s premature to say it’s unbeatable (despite it being the likely series winner).

What I take issue with in Gabarnes’s post is the fact that the user suggests shows like What We Do in the Shadows have under performed in acting when the performers literally weren’t being predicted by anyone and hardly any of the main performers are well known (apart from Mark Hamill but let’s face it was he even being expected to get a nomination when the show was shut out above the line last year). If the bar is so low that What We Do in the Shadows is an under-performance then how is Dead to Me a show being predicted in the odds for three acting nominations not an under-performance? I mean I can understand Maisel being seen as an acting under-performer but if the bar was so high that What We Do in the Shadows was being predicted to under-perform then practically everything barring The Good Place and Brooklyn Nine Nine (both of which over-performed people’s expectations in acting despite the post also suggesting the latter ‘performed as expected’) under-performed in acting this year.

Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

I think Comedy Actor is between Youssef and Levy, and I think Yousef is well-known enough to take the win over the vets.

I just have a feeling Lead Actor and Actress will be Youssef and Rae (in a Malek/Maslany Drama fashion), respectively, and Schitt’s Creek will be Comedy Series.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

@wolfali I’ve literally stated several times that I just included all the series nominees in it, that’s why I included What We Do in the Shadows as an underperformance in acting

FYC 2020 EMMYS

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.