Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

PWB wasn’t THAT popular. I’d argue that popularity was boosted with the sweep. The voters just got to know her with Killing Eve.

Her popularity was greatly increasing before the sweep though. She was everywhere.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Anthony Anderson might be win competitive.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Little late with this, and apologies. A net increase of 11 nominations this year vs. last year (Schitt’s) is huge. A net increase of 8, this year vs. last (Insecure) is huge. A net increase of just 1 nomination this year vs. last? Micro-crumbs is what that’s called.

Great to see you back here Guest.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Not him.

At least change your writing style (and IP address) if you are going to deny it.

Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

Can Maisel still win Series, or is Schitts Creek being overestimated? I can’t decide!! It is like Sophies Choice 😂

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I feel like Insecure is being underestimated.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

i feel quite the opposite tbh. granted i do think issa and yvonne can win eventually for a different season but i seriously doubt it can win series without writing + directing noms, i can’t picture issa rae prevailing over catherine o’hara (even though it’s possible and i do have her as a distant 2nd) and nor will yvonne win over annie or alex. to me, this years insecure nominations are more of a warm welcome (we’ll take you seriously in the future) rather than them meaning it’s threats in certain categories.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Can Maisel still win Series, or is Schitts Creek being overestimated? I can’t decide!! It is like Sophies Choice 😂

It depends on which misses you think are more significant – Schitt’s missing Dustin Milligan in Guest Actor, or Maisel missing Jane Lynch (who won for the same role only last year) and Writing.

It’s unusual for a show to win Comedy Series without any Guest noms, but Schitt’s is a show that doesn’t have a lot of Guest characters – they only submitted Milligan and Victor Garber, in a category that contains some seriously big names.

Only four shows have won Series without a single Guest nom in the last 25 years:

Sex and the City 2001 – only Series win
    Arrested Development 2004 – only Series win
    The Office 2006 – only Series win
    Veep 2015 – first of four consecutive Series wins, and the only win without Guest noms

Likewise, only four shows have won Comedy Series without a Writing nom in the last 25 years.

Frasier 1997: third consecutive Series win, first and only Series win without Writing nomination
    Will and Grace 2000 – only Series win
    Friends 2002 – only Series win
    Modern Family 2012, 13, 14 – had two consecutive Series wins with Writing noms, then three without

Profile picture
    NAKSS
    Topics:

Not that there was a lot of weight behind them, but Schitt’s Creek also submitted John Hemphill, Rizwan Manji and Saul Rubinek.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I feel like Insecure is being underestimated.

I feel this too. I am seeing so much buzz and support for the show outside of Goldderby. I don’t think it can take Series without writing or directing, but I think Yvonne seems more and more likely for an upset, and Issa has officially overtaken Rachel for me in Lead Actress.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It depends on which misses you think are more significant – Schitt’s missing Dustin Milligan in Guest Actor, or Maisel missing Jane Lynch (who won for the same role only last year) and Writing. It’s unusual for a show to win Comedy Series without any Guest noms, but Schitt’s is a show that doesn’t have a lot of Guest characters – they only submitted Milligan and Victor Garber, in a category that contains some seriously big names. Only four shows have won Series without a single Guest nom in the last 25 years: Sex and the City 2001 – only Series win Arrested Development 2004 – only Series win The Office 2006 – only Series win Veep 2015 – first of four consecutive Series wins, and the only win without Guest noms Likewise, only four shows have won Comedy Series without a Writing nom in the last 25 years. Frasier 1997: third consecutive Series win, first and only Series win without Writing nomination Will and Grace 2000 – only Series win Friends 2002 – only Series win Modern Family 2012, 13, 14 – had two consecutive Series wins with Writing noms, then three without

To be fair though one would think Victor Garber is a big name. Or at least a bigger name than Luke Kirby. After all he is a 6 time Emmy nominee, 4 time Tony nominee and has appeared in three SAG ensemble nominated (and one winning) film.

Otherwise I agree with what you’ve said.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

To be fair though one would think Victor Garber is a big name. Or at least a bigger name than Luke Kirby. After all he is a 6 time Emmy nominee, 4 time Tony nominee and has appeared in three SAG ensemble nominated (and one winning) film. Otherwise I agree with what you’ve said.

He’s a bigger name than only Luke Kirby, who won last year and is the only nominee in his category with multiple episodes. Everyone else in that category is a bigger name than him, at least in the current climate – no matter how many awards he’s won in the past.

Which basically proves my point that for Schitt’s to get a Guest Actor in, in a category that turned out to feature some very big names plus last year’s winner and the added element of Fred Willard, a beloved actor who recently died, would have been an overperformance.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He’s a bigger name than only Luke Kirby, who won last year and is the only nominee in his category with multiple episodes. Everyone else in that category is a bigger name than him, at least in the current climate – no matter how many awards he’s won in the past.

I don’t understand what you mean. Do you mean he is the only submitted actor in his category? Because Maisel also submitted Jason Alexander and Zachary Levi so I don’t think Kirby was helped to a nomination by being the only submitted Guest Actor.

On the other hand Wanda Sykes could have been very well helped by being the only submitted Maisel guest actress.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

No, I mean he’s the only nominated Guest Actor who appeared in multiple episodes of the show he’s nominated for. Which won’t have done him any harm. But then I remembered that Dev Patel was in two eps of Modern Love so I’ll happily rescind that comment.

My point is, as it has been along, that while both Maisel and Schitt’s are missing in key categories Maisel’s road to a Writing nom should have been easier than Schitt’s road to a Guest mom – WWDITS got three noms and Maisel couldn’t grab one?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No, I mean he’s the only nominated Guest Actor who appeared in multiple episodes of the show he’s nominated for. Which won’t have done him any harm.

Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.