Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

First of the episode submissions revealed on Comedy side:

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/issa-rae-insecure-emmys-2020-episode-submission-revealed/

Luke Kirby will repeat I think. The SNL actors all might cancel each other out.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

For SNL I think Murphy is the most likely to win, followed by Adam Driver and then Brad Pitt. Both Murphy and Driver are on their fourth Emmy nomination, and should have won already for previous better work. Murphy has a much stronger overdue narrative and all of his previous noms were for SNL so if any of them are getting it, it’s him.

Currently I have that category:

Eddie Murphy
    Luke Kirby
    Adam Driver
    Fred Willard
    Dev Patel
    Brad Pitt

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Despite hitting 160 nominations, The Politician is Netflix’s most nominated comedy with 5.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Kate McKinnon has selected her submission.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/kate-mckinnon-saturday-night-live-emmys-2020-episode-submission-revealed/

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sterling K. Brown has literally done what Olivia Colman did to help the other contenders in her category win last year. Lol it’s Shalhoub’s to lose.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/sterling-k-brown-the-marvelous-mrs-maisel-emmys-2020-episode-submission-revealed/

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Sterling K. Brown has literally done what Olivia Colman did to help the other contenders in her category win last year. Lol it’s Shalhoub’s to lose.

Sterling K Brown had almost no chance of the win anyway, what he does will have little impact.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So what Mahershala Ali and Dan Levy shouldn’t bother?

What?!?! Did I say Levy or Ali shouldn’t bother because there is no way they are winning? I know you are a massive Schitt’s Creek fan but I hope you understand that I didn’t say Dan Levy or Mahershala Ali can’t win. I said it’s Shalhoub’s to lose. That does not mean there is no way Levy or Ali can win, it means that with Brown not bothering along with Amazon’s hard campaigning for Shalhoub and the fact he’s coming off a second consecutive SAG win that Shalhoub (at least in my eyes) is the frontrunner and is in a good position to take this. Just because I think he is likely to take it that does not mean there isn’t a possibility he loses.

Also I understand you and I may agree that Brown had little to no chance but over the past few days some users have said that “Sterling K Brown might win because he’s Black and from Maisel” and  a user a few pages back wrote this :

4. Sterling K Brown, Will take some votes from Shalhoub but don’t see winning

I know you and I may agree Brown will have no impact on Shalhoub’s winning chances but I wanted to allay some doubts from other users that Brown and Shalhoub will split. After all just because two actors are nominated in a race it does not mean they will automatically vote split (if that was the case then by default we should be saying there is no way Schitt’s wins Writing or Maisel wins Directing because they have multiple nominated contenders).

It may sound like I hate Schitt’s Creek and am rooting for it to lose every award but I really am not. I REALLY WANT Catherine O’Hara to win this year. I really don’t mind whoever takes Supporting Actress or Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. I may not want Eugene Levy to win Actor or the show to win directing but that does not automatically mean I hate the show by any means. At times when I post something that suggest Schitt’s Creek might lose an award I feel like you come down on me for merely suggesting it won’t win an award. I hope this isn’t the case and that there’s purely been a misunderstanding between us.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Brown’s not taking votes from Shalhoub.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I think James Burrows is taking directing. He’s a legend, has never won for directing Will & Grace, last time he won for directing was almost 30 years ago and We Love Lucy is critically acclaimed episode. I believe he would get in even without that silly multicam rule.

Yes it’s severely underestimated.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Brown’s not taking votes from Shalhoub.

Glad someone agrees with me. Shalhoub and Borstein could lose if Schitt’s suddenly wins everything and Maisel wins nothing (like THT s1 and Westworld s1) but people need to be realistic because there is no way they split votes with Brown and Hinkle. I mean if people think Duplass and Crudup won’t split then they shouldn’t be thinking Shalhoub and Borstein will split with their co-stars.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

What?!?! Did I say Levy or Ali shouldn’t bother because there is no way they are winning? I know you are a massive Schitt’s Creek fan but I hope you understand that I didn’t say Dan Levy or Mahershala Ali can’t win. I said it’s Shalhoub’s to lose. That does not mean there is no way Levy or Ali can win, it means that with Brown not bothering along with Amazon’s hard campaigning for Shalhoub and the fact he’s coming off a second consecutive SAG win that Shalhoub (at least in my eyes) is the frontrunner and is in a good position to take this. Just because I think he is likely to take it that does not mean there isn’t a possibility he loses.

Look, I think you’re taking what I said a little too deeply here – I’m literally just disagreeing with you that it’s Shalhoub’s to lose. That’s it. Maybe my phrasing was a little combative so I apologise if that’s the case.

But saying ‘it’s Shalhoub’s to lose’ does imply that you feel his competitors are miles behind, and I don’t think that’s true. I took your comment to mean that because of Brown’s action, Shalhoub was pretty much a lock – my point is that Brown is unlikely to have any impact on anything. If I have misunderstood your phrasing, again – it’s easily done and your comment did imply that’s what you meant as putting one point immediately after the other denotes relation between them.

And I’m not saying you hate Schitt’s Creek, nor am I disagreeing with you on Shalhoub because of anything to do with Schitt’s. I’m literally just disagreeing with you. We agree on some things, we disagree on others. Plenty of times you’ve taken comments I’ve made and picked out the one thing you disagree with just so you can disagree. And that’s fine.

It’s a discussion, so please don’t take it personally if I disagree with you because it isn’t.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

shaloub is the slam dunk won of the night easily for me. Only category I’m sure of the winner besides comedy supporting actress

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really have a gut feeling Issa Rae is winning Lead Actress :

– Last year the Television Academy face controversy for having a shut out of women of colour in the Lead Actress in a Comedy Series category. This category along with Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, Supporting Actress in a Drama Series and Guest Actor in a Comedy Series were the only categories to not have poc nominees.

– No black woman of colour has won this country since 1981.

– Only two women of colour have ever won this category : America Ferrera in 2007 and Isabel Sanford in 1981.

– Do I need to remind you of the current socio-political situation.

– Her show increases in buzz everyday. And a win for her would fit into the recent post JLD trend of 20-30 something year old funny women winning this category who are buzzy television/film stars in dramedies.

– Her show did miss Program of the Year and Schitt’s did get into Program of the Year but that doesn’t mean it’s the be all and end all for her and her programme’s chances. Insecure and her got into Individual Achievement and Achievement in Comedy which are the exact same nominations The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel got in 2018 when it won Actress and Comedy Series over Program of the Year nominee Atlanta despite not winning Outstanding Achievement in Comedy.

– Insecure was already HBO’s main push in Comedy this year and now that Curb Your Enthusiasm has bombed I think HBO will be pushing this hard.

Then again this category is more competitive than many of us like to admit. I see paths for O’Hara, Rae, Brosnahan and Ellis Ross to win! I don’t see any way Applegate or Cardilleni win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Dear lurking Emmy voters,

FYC : D’Arcy Carden as Disco Janet, The Good Place

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s so strange how everyone apart from Dan Levy and Alan Arkin nominated in Supporting Actor are people of colour yet the Television Academy could only bother to nominate one person of colour in Supporting Actress? Better representation is needed people!

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.