Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Look, I’m glad every time someone acknowledges the need for diversity in winners, but at a certain point it feels like you’re only crediting Issa Rae for her ‘diversity’ and tokenizing her isn’t helpful either. Champion her, but just be wary of how your constant highlighting of the lack of historic diversity reduces her to her race. Just an opinion based on how constantly you’re using the discussion around diversity to argue for certain people.

I’m not only saying Rae and others are solely going to win based on the fact that they are not white lol. I would appreciate it if you hadn’t edited out the rest of my post where I literally talk about a tonne of other factors that could help Rae win.

– Her show increases in buzz everyday. And a win for her would fit into the recent post JLD trend of 20-30 something year old funny women winning this category who are buzzy television/film stars in dramedies.

– Her show did miss Program of the Year and Schitt’s did get into Program of the Year but that doesn’t mean it’s the be all and end all for her and her programme’s chances. Insecure and her got into Individual Achievement and Achievement in Comedy which are the exact same nominations The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel got in 2018 when it won Actress and Comedy Series over Program of the Year nominee Atlanta despite not winning Outstanding Achievement in Comedy.

Of course if Issa and others win it is also based on merit too but I think we need to recognise how people here underestimated the impact of the political climate in the US when it came to nominations. Hence why I think this helps people like Issa Rae, Regina King and Kerry Washington (on top of their buzz and deserving performances) in their categories. If you’re taking issue with the fact that I am questioning the possibility of Schitt’s, Maisel, The Crown, Ozark and Succession sweeping the acting races because of the fact they are shows about entitled white people fine but I don’t see issue with questioning the chances of these shows in acting. I mean it’s not as if I’m biased against these shows considering I literally voted for Succession and Maisel in the Gold Derby awards.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Liam McWhinney
    Topics:

Also I think we may be looking too much into Jane Lynch missing. It reminds me of when Margo Martindale crossed over from Guest Actress to Supporting Actress in 2018 and missed and people thought The Americans was hurt by her missing in acting but then it went on to win its third acting award. It could very well have been that Lynch missed due to category confusion. I mean whilst she had a bigger role this season it’s not as if she’s one of the core cast members. I would be more concerned if someone like Marin Hinkle missed. I also think we may have been getting ahead of ourselves when we were thinking she was a lock. After all when Maisel almost did a second consecutive sweep this year at SAG she wasn’t nominated whilst Shalhoub, Borstein and Brosnahan were nominated and Shalhoub and the show won.

So I watched Maisel Season 3, and while I admire Lynch’s performance, the character is not awfully likeable particularly in the episode I think is her showcase “Marvelous Radio”. The transformation into Sophie by Lynch is phenomenal and I was really impressed, but the actual trajectory of the character, misbehaving on stage and not necessarily taking “the craft” seriously I believe might have been a turn off for some actors. Also it really is a featured part in comparison to more semi leads who are shuffled into supporting.

Profile picture
    Jesse
    Topics:

Of course if Issa and others win it is also based on merit too but I think we need to recognise how people here underestimated the impact of the political climate in the US when it came to nominations. Hence why I think this helps people like Issa Rae, Regina King and Kerry Washington (on top of their buzz and deserving performances) in their categories. If you’re taking issue with the fact that I am questioning the possibility of Schitt’s, Maisel, The Crown, Ozark and Succession sweeping the acting races because of the fact they are shows about entitled white people fine but I don’t see issue with questioning the chances of these shows in acting. I mean it’s not as if I’m biased against these shows considering I literally voted for Succession and Maisel in the Gold Derby awards.

I recognize that you gave multiple reasons, however just wanted to point out how you posts showed a pattern of arguing race for the sake of race.
    I never expected someone to brag about voting for white shows in this forum lol, but I think the disconnect between your advocating for black actors predominantly due to the political climate But personally preferring shows like Maisel etc comes across as valuing it predominantly for diversity’s sake. But that’s just my interpretation.
    But when advocating for shows like Succession/Ozark you never bring up cultural zeitgeist might help those, you argue purely based on merit.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

So I watched Maisel Season 3, and while I admire Lynch’s performance, the character is not awfully likeable particularly in the episode I think is her showcase “Marvelous Radio”. The transformation into Sophie by Lynch is phenomenal and I was really impressed, but the actual trajectory of the character, misbehaving on stage and not necessarily taking “the craft” seriously I believe might have been a turn off for some actors. Also it really is a featured part in comparison to more semi leads who are shuffled into supporting.

I don’t think likability was a factor at all, as the character was never likable in the prior seasons, particularly in season 2 when she won.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Predictions:

Series: Schitt’s Creek (RU: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)

Actor: Eugene Levy, Schitt’s Creek (RU: Ramy Youssef, Ramy)

Actress: Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek (RU: Issa Rae, Insecure)

Supporting Actor: Tony Shalhboub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (RU: Dan Levy, Schitt’s Creek)

Supporting Actress: Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (RU: Annie Murphy, Schitt’s Creek)

Directing: Ramy Youssef, Ramy (RU: Amy Sherman-Palladino, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)

Writing: Dan Levy, Schitt’s Creek (RU: Michael Schur, The Good Place)

Guest Actor: Eddie Murphy, Saturday Night Live (RU: Luke Kirby, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)

Guest Actress: Wanda Sykes, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (RU: Bette Midler, The Politician)

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Predictions:

This is actually quite similar to what I’m thinking is probably going to happen. The only difference is I think Ramy Youseff is winning Lead Actor.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

After all when Maisel almost did a second consecutive sweep this year at SAG she wasn’t nominated whilst Shalhoub, Borstein and Brosnahan were nominated and Shalhoub and the show won.

You think that we are exaggerating her snub because the show did not become the first in SAG history to be triple-nominated in comedy actress?

I think we may be looking too much into Jane Lynch missing. It reminds me of when Margo Martindale crossed over from Guest Actress to Supporting Actress in 2018 and missed and people thought The Americans was hurt by her missing in acting but then it went on to win its third acting award.

Did it win series though?  I do not think that a single person has argued that Jane Lynch’s snub means that Tony Shalhoub or Alex Borstein cannot repeat; we just think that it might foreshadow The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel losing Outstanding Comedy Series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Did it win series though? I do not think that a single person has argued that Jane Lynch’s snub means that Tony Shalhoub or Alex Borstein cannot repeat; we just think that it might foreshadow The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel losing Outstanding Comedy Series.

No I wasn’t suggesting Maisel could win Series despite Lynch’s snub (it could but Lynch’s snub doesn’t help it). What I was saying is that there have been some arguing against the show’s acting chances on here due to Lynch’s snub and I don’t think the show is hurt in acting with Lynch missing (especially when it got Wanda Sykes in for a five minute cameo).

You think that we are exaggerating her snub because the show did not become the first in SAG history to be triple-nominated in comedy actress? 

I wasn’t suggesting that. The reason I used SAG was to say that maybe voters just didn’t want to vote for a featured performance in S. Actress (I was noting that Maisel got Borstein, Brosnahan and Shalhoub in at SAG which to get three fifths of its core cast in is a feat itself). I mean it could very well have been the case that Brown got in due to disparities in competition (I mean S. Actress in a Comedy Series is one of the most competitive categories in terms of nominations every year).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So I had a look at times Comedies have won Directing without a corresponding Casting nomination under the current voting system :

– 0 times

So then I looked at times Comedies have won Directing without a corresponding Casting nomination since 2000 :

Malcolm in the Middle, 2001

I’m starting to wonder whether Ramy can really win Directing now. Whilst Malcolm in the Middle did win Directing without a Casting nom it is worth baring in mind that it had won the previous year in this category and won Casting in 2000.

I have noticed some overlap when looking at the GD awards in terms of supporters of Ramy and Insecure so do Insecure voters in Casting flock to Ramy in Directing? I doubt it.

If we were to say that when a show gets nominated for Casting it cements it as one of the only nominees to be able to win Directing then only the following can win :

– It’s Comedy or CabbageThe Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    – Marvelous RadioThe Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    – Happy Ending, Schitt’s Creek

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Look, I’m glad every time someone acknowledges the need for diversity in winners, but at a certain point it feels like you’re only crediting Issa Rae for her ‘diversity’ and tokenizing her isn’t helpful either. Champion her, but just be wary of how your constant highlighting of the lack of historic diversity reduces her to her race. Just an opinion based on how constantly you’re using the discussion around diversity to argue for certain people.

👏👏👏

i swear all these issa predictions are just based on the fact that she’s black, it’s not gonna work like that.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

You do realise she is in the main push from Emmy darling HBO, has a lot of recency buzz in her favour and her show has two TCA noms? People aren’t only predicting her just because of her race.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

the only thing i’ve seen people use to defend their prediction is the “blm narrative” so…

even then, i don’t think those reasons are enough against catherine o’hara but to each of their own i guess.

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

So I had a look at times Comedies have won Directing without a corresponding Casting nomination under the current voting system : – 0 times So then I looked at times Comedies have won Directing without a corresponding Casting nomination since 2000 : – Malcolm in the Middle, 2001 I’m starting to wonder whether Ramy can really win Directing now. Whilst Malcolm in the Middle did win Directing without a Casting nom it is worth baring in mind that it had won the previous year in this category and won Casting in 2000. I have noticed some overlap when looking at the GD awards in terms of supporters of Ramy and Insecure so do Insecure voters in Casting flock to Ramy in Directing? I doubt it. If we were to say that when a show gets nominated for Casting it cements it as one of the only nominees to be able to win Directing then only the following can win : – It’s Comedy or Cabbage, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Marvelous Radio, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Happy Ending, Schitt’s Creek

I just looked it up and wow, even Pushing Daisies had a Casting Nom, and that’s maybe the most random (but inspired) Directing win I can think of.

I’m feeling confident in Amy Sherman-Palladino here. Yes, there’s a vote split, but her episode is the clear standout and she’s a past winner. Ramy is in my 2nd spot in case they really go all in on the show.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have a feeling we’re underestimating Luke Kirby in Guest Actor. I’d love to think Eddie Murphy will take this but Kirby managed to defy vote splitting and win last year in an ultra competitive field and he just seems to be stronger this year. I mean this isn’t directly relevant but when I was counting 200 Gold Derby TV ballots Murphy and Kirby were neck and neck and considering how we’re not big fans of Maisel when it comes to our awards and the fact we didn’t nominate any other SNL guest actor this year this is impressive.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I finished Mrs. Maisel two weeks ago and season 3 pissed me off. It was not as good as the first two seasons.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.