Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Who are you guys predicting to win Casting? Not sure whether to predict Maisel, Schitt’s or Insecure. I was predicting Maisel at the beginning but considering Schitt’s and Insecure’s over-performance I am leaning more towards those two right now.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

I still think Eddie Murphy is a sure thing. People that don’t even watch SNL anymore saw that episode. Plus it was a great episode.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

To be fair this is what some people said about John Mulaney last year.

I’m finding it hard to choose between Murphy and Kirby in my predictions.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

Murphy vs Kirby reminds me of the year Hugh Laurie from Veep was competing against 3 SNL hosts. Laurie was a perennial nominee, from the Series winner, and surely voters would know this was the best chance to give him his first win, but SNL still managed to avoid the vote split.

I think anyone who voted for Dave Chappelle because they enjoy seeing a beloved performer make a triumphant return to TV will also be voting Murphy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But the difference is Kirby is the incumbent winner.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Eddie Murphy and John Mulaney are not comparable.

Murphy’s episode had MASSIVE ratings, almost twice the numbers SNL has regularly gotten in the last decade. Mulaney’s popular, sure, but Murphy is a comedy legend, and his big return to the show was significant and pushed hype through the ROOF. Actors like Maisel, and Kirby is definitely second, but I think Murphy is miles ahead of anyone else.

Maybe I’ll be beating myself up for this in September, but Murphy is probably the safest winner alongside Succession in writing.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

SERIES

Winner: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)
    Runner-Up: Schitt’s Creek (Pop!)
    Dark Horse: Insecure (HBO)

ACTOR:

Winner: Ted Danson -The Good Place
    Runner-Up: Ramy Youssef – Ramy
    Dark Horse: Eugene Levy – Schitt’s Creek

ACTRESS

Winner: Catherine O’Hara – Schitt’s Creek
    Runner-Up: Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Dark Horse: Issa Rae – Insecure

SUPP. ACTOR

Winner: Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Runner-Up: Dan Levy – Schitt’s Creek
    Dark Horse: Mahershala Ali – Ramy

SUPP. ACTRESS

Winner: Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Runner-Up: Annie Murphy – Schitt’s Creek
    Dark Horse: D’Arcy Carden – The Good Place

DIRECTING

Winner: “It’s Comedy or Cabbage” – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Runner-Up: “Happy Ending” – Schitt’s Creek
    Dark Horse: “The Great” – The Great

WRITING

Winner: “Whenever You’re Ready” – The Good Place
    Runner-Up: “Happy Ending” – Schitt’s Creek
    Dark Horse: “Collaboration” – What We Do in the Shadows

GUEST ACTOR

Winner: Eddie Murphy – Saturday Night Live Runner-Up: Luke Kirby – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Dark Horse: Fred Willard – Modern Family

GUEST ACTRESS

Winner: Maya Rudolph – The Good Place
    Runner-Up: Wanda Sykes – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Dark Horse: Phoebe Waller-Bridge – Saturday Night Live

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Succession
    FYC: Watchmen

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Eddie Murphy and John Mulaney are not comparable. Murphy’s episode had MASSIVE ratings, almost twice the numbers SNL has regularly gotten in the last decade. Mulaney’s popular, sure, but Murphy is a comedy legend, and his big return to the show was significant and pushed hype through the ROOF. Actors like Maisel, and Kirby is definitely second, but I think Murphy is miles ahead of anyone else. Maybe I’ll be beating myself up for this in September, but Murphy is probably the safest winner alongside Succession in writing.

He may be safe, but nothing else is even close to being as safe as Succession in writing.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He may be safe, but nothing else is even close to being as safe as Succession in writing.

Or as safe as Watchmen in writing.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Eddie Murphy and John Mulaney are not comparable.

Murphy’s episode had MASSIVE ratings, almost twice the numbers SNL has regularly gotten in the last decade. Mulaney’s popular, sure, but Murphy is a comedy legend, and his big return to the show was significant and pushed hype through the ROOF. Actors like Maisel, and Kirby is definitely second, but I think Murphy is miles ahead of anyone else.

I remember seeing a few pre-nominations predictions that had John Mulaney in for this year too, with him and Eddie Murphy representing SNL in Guest Actor. I don’t think many people had SNL getting three noms, but even so I agree Murphy will avoid a vote split.

Even with the Fauci narrative Brad Pitt is surely a non-factor, and while Adam Driver has a ‘should have an Emmy already’ narrative (should have won for S3 of Girls) Eddie Murphy is on his fourth SNL nom and his episode was an EVENT. He’s scooping all the SNL votes and probably the win. Luke Kirby is second but he already has his award – Murphy is long overdue.

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

If anyone beats Eddie Murphy for Guest Actor in a Comedy Series, then it won’t be Kirby, but Fred Willard from Modern Family.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

If anyone beats Eddie Murphy for Guest Actor in a Comedy Series, then it won’t be Kirby, but Fred Willard from Modern Family.

Good point.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t see Schitt’s winning all four or even three of the acting awards. If I’m not mistaken no show since Breaking Bad has won 3/4 of the big four acting categories and no show on the Comedy or Drama side has ever won 4/4 of the big acting awards or all of their acting nominations for that matter.

At the moment I only see a path for Catherine O’Hara and possibly Dan Levy to win.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Kirby gives by far the superior performance. Any other winner would be bad. This is probably silly and doesn’t matter but are we underestimating Michael Douglas? He’s the sole SAG nominee in this line-up. If Levy didn’t manage to get in at SAG despite being Emmy nominated over Andrew Scott who wasn’t, it might mean that actors don’t really care much for Levy’s work in Schitt’s Creek. Youssef has acclaim and person-of-color narrative, so I think it’s his to lose, but just saying.

I hope not.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.