Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So I went and looked back at the Maisel season 3 thread on here and we should have listened to and should listen to this prediction still as it told us about the show’s chances this year at the Emmys already and might tell us its chances for the top prizes this year :

This was a great season but it lacked in comparison to the first two seasons, in y opinion.

Too bad Sterling K. Brown, Cary Elwes, and Jane Lynch won’t be able to compete in guest, all three would’ve been amazing and very deserving nominees. I don’t see Lynch joining Borstein and Hinkle in Supporting Actress, unfortunately, as much as she deserves to. Borstein has really, really great episodes and moments but I guess the face-off with Lynch should be able to get her the third Emmy for this role. Brown could’ve won with “Panty Pose” or the season finale, that episode 6 cameo ruined his chances but oh well he’ll probably gather a comedy ensemble SAG for it, so not that sad after all.

The chemistry between Luke Kirby and Brosnahan is off the charts. Kirby has another great episode that can easily make him repeat but he’ll face internal competition cause Zachary Levi is amazing too. Jason Alexander was a surprise addition (I haven’t seen any news about his involvement) and his chemistry with Shalhoub was really great. A part of me wishes he would get his overdue Emmy but the role just wasn’t enough. Unfortunately, the same applies to Liza Weil’s role too she had a cute moment at the hotel but it wasn’t enough. Still hoping she gets a nomination, less deserving actresses have been nominated.

Brosnahan was as amazing as always. I hope she wins again and I’ll be really disappointed if she doesn’t.

Amy Sherman-Palladino should hands-down win writing and directing the “It’s Comedy or Cabbage” episode but I think she’ll submit “A Jewish Girl Walks Into the Apollo…” for both and she’d still be deserving of Directing Emmy for this. Don’t get me wrong the writing was also good on this episode but it was a tad predictable, I can see another writing snub if they go with this.

Already looking forward to next season, I’m very curious to see how they’ll deal with Kennedy’s election and death.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

It honestly baffles me that Maisel has become so unpopular with writers. It’s such a well-written series. The rapid dialogue is pitch-perfect, and I can rattle off dozens of one-liners at any time just because they’re so iconic. Every season so far would be such a deserving winner in the category. I’m not usually the type to laugh out loud while watching things, but pretty much every episode gets more than a couple giggles out of me.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Maisel is popular with writers overall (see its consecutive guild noms even after its snub) but I think there is something that TV Academy’s writers branch don’t like about it.

This year it will be interesting to see whether Schitt’s will win without Guest Acting nominations, Maisel will win without a Writing nomination or if Insecure will win without Writing and Directing nominations.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Liam McWhinney
    Topics:

I’m going to preface this by saying, I absolutely adore Maisel, and really loved Season 3. It’s a combination of hilarity, pathos and heart, which radiated even more strongly in Season 3 I personally believe think.

However, the writing style of show is quite unique, and that consistently of that style (the rapid pace of dialogue, Mamet-like zinger) I think has grown a bit predictable, and voters may be disappointed by the lack of risks creatively by writers.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

I am starting to think that the academy writers made it up to the Sherman-Palladinos for snubbing Gilmore Girls with the, as of now, one-time nod and win for Maisel. Other than that, there’s really no excuse for it missing here while still getting in everywhere.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArQsuHWhDIc&list=PLWz2DO39R-NW9o-rfT70AWF6S5_YvSUDE&index=2

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Updated Predictions

Comedy Series

1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon) – I know a controversial pick! I am predicting this one to win by a hair and the reason I am doing so is because I remembered that there was one time when Veep trumped the first season of Atlanta because it was such an Emmy darling despite only winning Casting and Actress. I probably will switch between all the shows in my top 3 for the top spot but at the moment I am going with Maisel (even though I had Schitt’s last week).
    2. Schitt’s Creek (Pop) – There is no reason for me to explain why I think it can win but I have it second only because I am unsure how to read its acting support and despite getting overwhelming support from some branches it missed out in some places (but then again Maisel did miss out in Writing so who knows?)
    3. Insecure (HBO) – I have a feeling this may be the first show since Friends to win without Writing and Directing nominations. It got into Casting so I think there is director support for it (I mean it probably missed because it submitted like 5 episodes) and it over-performed across the board. Plus it has immense buzz.

4. The Good Place (NBC) – I mean it could ride a final season narrative but I would be very surprised if it won Series lol.
    5. What We Do in the Shadows (FX) – 3 writing nominations!!!!!

6. Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) – Probably would have missed if it had competed last year.
    7. Dead to Me (Netflix) – Pretty much bombed outside of its two leads.
    8. The Kominsky Method (Netflix) – Filler.

Comedy Actress

1. Issa Rae – I wouldn’t be predicting her if only she got in but her show got 8 Emmy nominations including Series! It’s the third most nominated Comedy and she kind of reminds me of Tatiana Maslany in the sense that she is someone who people moan about not getting awards recognition for years and she is in the main push from Emmy darling HBO. Plus her show has immense buzz. Also I’m predicting her to win because there seems to be a trend building where performers from darker more dramedy type programmes have been winning this category (see Brosnahan and Waller-Bridge). I could be wrong and it could be that the performer in this category is from the Series winner but who knows?
    2. Catherine O’Hara – There are so many reasons why she could win that I will be here for years explaining if pressed. The only problem I have with her winning is Schitts’s acting support is hard to read and the trend in this category seems to be pointing towards a performer from a darker show winning (to me). Although the trend can also be read as a performer winning from the Series winner which means if Schitt’s wins Series she is definitely winning.
    3. Rachel Brosnahan – She still has the same performance that won her two consecutive Golden Globes, a SAG award and an Emmy and it could very well be that voters just default back to Maisel now Fleabag and Veep are out of its way. Her show also recently did very very well at the guilds and hung onto a Globe nomination in Series which many were doubting.

4. Tracee Ellis Ross – She has an overdue narrative that can work in her favour but I would be pleasantly surprised if she overcame Rae, O’Hara or Brosnahan.

5. Christina Applegate – I haven’t seen Dead to Me but from what I hear she has the performance so that’s not an issue but in a category as competitive as this one I don’t see her overcoming a vote split with Cardilleni. Especially considering the show doesn’t seem to have as strong acting support as Maisel, Schitt’s or even Insecure have.
    6. Linda Cardilleni – The nomination is her win.

Comedy Actor

1. Ramy Youseff – Fits the trend of the writer-director-actor win here.
    2. Ted Danson – He has an overdue narrative but do the Emmys really like The Good Place that much? I mean this season has the least buzz out of all 4 of the seasons. He could just end up being the Amy Poehler of this category or he could end up being the Matthew Rhys and win.
    3. Eugene Levy – Could win in a Schitt’s sweep and he does have an overdue narrative but he seems like the least likely member of the cast to win and has the least passion out of all the cast members. It also seems unlikely that Schitt’s wins all four acting categories. He also failed to get in at SAG despite O’Hara getting in and the show getting into Ensemble.

4. Anthony Anderson – Literally the same argument that can be made for Ross can be made for him.

5. Don Cheale – Overdue narrative but at this points he seems like filler.
    6. Michael Douglas – He got into SAG but are they really going to give The Kominsky Method an Emmy and leave Grace and Frankie with no Emmys lol?

Comedy Supporting Actress

1. Alex Borstein – She won with tougher competition and with not so much of a deserving performance so I don’t see how she loses with weaker competition and incredibly deserving performance this season.
    2. Yvonne Orji – See Insecure buzz and over-performance. Also a win for her would not be unconventional at all (after all these are the same people who awarded Merritt Wever despite Nurse Jackie seemingly not having as much support as it did previously).
    3. Annie Murphy – She may be in the show competitive for Comedy Series and locked for a few awards here and there (i.e. Writing) and she may be the MVP of Schitt’s Creek but she reminds me of Jane Krakowski never winning for 30 Rock.
    4. D’Arcy Carden – The nomination could very well have been her hurdle to a win all these years. Although I think The Good Place‘s award is its nominations rather than its wins.

5. Betty Gilpin – The fact she still got in despite Netflix not even pushing her show makes me think she will win one day.
    6. Kate McKinnon – Could very well be a filler nominee at this point but don’t be surprised if Elizabeth Warren possibly becomes Biden’s running mate and helps her win here like Hillary did lol (although her Hillary impression was much better).
    7. Marin Hinkle – Sadly a non-factor here as much as I want her to win for her final season.
    8. Cecily Strong – She would be more deserving than McKinnon but tbh she’s lucky she got nominated.

Supporting Actor

1. Tony Shalhoub – He won SAG twice in a row and the Emmy with fierce competition plus he’s Tony Shalhoub. He’s coming.
    2. Dan Levy – He has a tonne of buzz and a win for him wouldn’t be out of the question but I remember many people saw him as a lock at TCA and he failed to get in so I don’t know. He also can be rewarded elsewhere.
    3. Mahershala Ali – Well it’s Mahershala Ali.

4. Sterling K. Brown – I mean sure he’s Sterling K. Brown in the most loved show by actors but he is a guest performer.
    5. William Jackson Harper – To be honest I am (pleasantly) surprised he got in.
    6. Kenan Thompson – Filler
    7. Alan Arkin – He still is overdue and I can see voters awarding him so he can get his triple crown but it’s not as if they did that when they had the chance last year.
    8. Andre Braugher – I mean he would be very deserving for a win but he’s basically like Jane Lynch getting in for Glee season 4.

Writing

1. Happy Ending – Unless it splits votes this is locked.
    2. Whenever You’re Ready – If Schitt’s splits voters this will probably benefit and I can see The Good Place doing an Americans style set of wins but it got snubbed at WGA.

3. The Great – I guess this could win like Jesse Armstrong won for Succession last year?

4. On the Run – 3 nominations!!! Stefani!
    5. Collaboration – I don’t watch this show so I’ll just rank these eps randomly.
    6. Ghosts

7. The Presidential Suite – Non factor

Directing

1. It’s Comedy or Cabbage – We saw last year how Directing in a Drama Series went to the show which got in a stronger year and won by default the following weaker year. I can see that happening here. Plus it would be very deserving.
    2. Miakhalifa.mov – I can see this doing an Atlanta style set of wins although its Series and Casting snubs don’t help it.
    3. Happy Ending – I mean sure it can coattail to a win but I just don’t see it happening.

4. Finale – Acclaimed swansong of a show the directors branch have historically loved.
    5. We Love Lucy – It’s acclaim could propel it to a win.
    6. The Great – Idk.

7. Marvelous Radio – Non factor.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Looking back, Hulu seems to have made the most regrettable decision this Emmy season – not releasing The Great earlier. The late premiere makes sense for an Emmy launch, but the show took longer to get to a bigger audience. Personally, I’m beyond ecstatic about their writing and directing nominations and it only shows that an earlier release would have led to a Series nomination and maybe even Fanning.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ll let Alex Goldschmitt take it from here on the night of the finale: “#TheGoodPlace finale is a master class in TV. The perfect ending to every story. The perfect mix of laughter and tears. The perfect commentary on life. People are going to be rewatching, quoting and learning from this show forever. “It knew exactly how and when to say goodbye.” 99% of America have already forgotten about the Schitt’s series-ender.

Oh Guest…

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

99% of America have already forgotten about the Schitt’s series-ender.

99% of America knew about it at all?  That bodes well for its Emmy chances, as the ballot will be a sufficient reminder for voters.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I still haven’t seen season 6. I don’t have cable; I have a smart TV which is for streaming services only. I think that’s true for a lot of Americans, at least the younger generations. I don’t think Schitt’s s6 will be on Netflix until October or November. Any chance that affects its chances? I mean they still got 15 noms but I’m wondering what people think.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

It won’t change a whole lot, voters have been voting for the whole series anyways, but I would say if anything it helps O’Hara and Eugene and is a slight obstacle for Murphy and Daniel, as the younger two were the real leads and had their best material in the final season, thus kinda outshining the older couple.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

It won’t change a whole lot, voters have been voting for the whole series anyways, but I would say if anything it helps O’Hara and Eugene and is a slight obstacle for Murphy and Daniel, as the younger two were the real leads and had their best material in the final season, thus kinda outshining the older couple.

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking is happening. Thanks!

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I think it’s easily winning Series and Actress because the show has been growing in support and it’s the final season Maisel and Insecure will have more chances.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I’ll let Alex Goldschmitt take it from here on the night of the finale:
    “#TheGoodPlace finale is a master class in TV. The perfect ending to every story. The perfect mix of laughter and tears. The perfect commentary on life. People are going to be rewatching, quoting and learning from this show forever.

“It knew exactly how and when to say goodbye.”

99% of America have already forgotten about the Schitt’s series-ender.

Oh Guest2018.

mg

Once u get it through ur head that the Good Place isn’t going win the better you are going to react when it loses in emmy night. Fell free to block me since gasp I used a gif lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.