Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Lol, we need Biden to win for other reasons 😀

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

I was predicting Angela Bassett but already updated my prediction to Maya Rudolph – SNL. There is no way she loses after this announcement, she is already a trending topic on Twitter with Biden and Kamala.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lol, we need Biden to win for other reasons 😀

Yes ofc. My post was a joke (hence the get rid of Alec Baldwin inclusion as I was implying something else).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

So? Did The Good Place not get a writing nomination over it and has 4 acting nominations to its 2? Quite a lot better is a reach, don’t you think? Seriously, Insecure did better in below in the line stuff but The Good Place literally has double the above the line nominations. The Good Place’s performance was relatively more expected compared to Insecure’s (even though barely anyone predicted Jackson Harper on these forums) but expectation or future trajectory isn’t relevant when discussing who did better in the nomination stage. Insecure got what, 2 more noms than TGP (not counting that short form nomination for TGP)? So unless you all are solely considering nomination numbers I don’t see why everyone is acting like this isn’t open to interpretation and discussion and is as clear cut as it’s being made out to be.

Thank you lol, reading those forums it sounds like Insecure suddenly has Maisel’s number of noms.

Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

I’m so much more confident in predicting Wanda Sykes now because there is no way Rudolph doesn’t split with herself now.

I don’t think Rudolph is vote-splitting. Actors clearly prefer SNL over The Good Place

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This is a good point.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Maya Rudolph only got nominated for her impression because the field was so empty. This gives the performance heat, but I doubt that it is enough for her to go from not win-competitive at all for it to winning, especially with her nominated again for The Good Place, now with its final season.

So? Did The Good Place not get a writing nomination over it and has 4 acting nominations to its 2? Quite a lot better is a reach, don’t you think? Seriously, Insecure did better in below in the line stuff but The Good Place literally has double the above the line nominations. The Good Place’s performance was relatively more expected compared to Insecure’s (even though barely anyone predicted Jackson Harper on these forums) but expectation or future trajectory isn’t relevant when discussing who did better in the nomination stage. Insecure got what, 2 more noms than TGP (not counting that short form nomination for TGP)? So unless you all are solely considering nomination numbers I don’t see why everyone is acting like this isn’t open to interpretation and discussion and is as clear cut as it’s being made out to be.

The Good Place:
    – Series
    – Acting
    – Writing

Insecure:
    – Series
    – Acting
    – Casting
    – Cinematography
    – Editing
    – Music

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Lol Maya winning for her Kamala Harris impression over her clrealy surperior work in The Good Place would be kinda ridiculous, but she deserves to have an Emmy so whatever.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m so torn with my Comedy Lead predictions. I mean O’Hara and Levy have quite a bit of an overdue narrative (which makes me think that they will be the only two Schitt’s actors to win) but Issa Rae and Ramy Youssef remind me so much of Tatiana Maslany and Rami Malek winning and they have their own big narrative as well. I just keep wondering with O’Hara are the people who awarded Phoebe Waller-Bridge over Julia Louis-Dreyfus going to award Issa Rae over Catherine O’Hara?

I feel pretty confident that Shalhoub and Borstein are taking this though. Annie Murphy may be the mvp of Schitt’s in the eyes of myself and many others but her buzz seems to be just on this forum because I’ve seen barely any media outlets talking about her when talking about predictions for this category and I highly doubt actors have seen the last season of Schitt’s Creek which kind of featured quite a lot of material for her where she outshone the whole cast. I don’t think this particular problem affects either Levy’s or O’Hara though. I am also predicting Shalhoub because I kind of think he’s an unstoppable Emmy darling like people see Regina King and Laura Linney and his two consecutive wins at SAG for a Supporting performance reminds me of John Lithgow winning twice in a row for 3rd Rock from the Sun at SAG and then winning the Emmy twice in a row.

Don’t get me started about the Guest acting categories lmao.

I was predicting Angela Bassett but already updated my prediction to Maya Rudolph – SNL. There is no way she loses after this announcement, she is already a trending topic on Twitter with Biden and Kamala.

May I ask why you are predicting Schitt’s Creek to lose all its above the line nominations?

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

May I ask why you are predicting Schitt’s Creek to lose all its above the line nominations?

Unlike the collective GD odds, where they are predicting 1/12 POC winners I’m trying to predict POC where I see for them to have a possible narrative for the win.

Insecure expanded its nominations in key categories (though no directing or writing) and I feel like the narrative could push the show just enough to tip the results in its favor. That is why I’m predicting Series & Issa Rae. (But I do have Schitt’s Creek and O’Hara as spoilers in #2, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they won)

I’m expecting The Good Place to have a The Americans/Friday Night Lights type of last season (though I’m not sure if it ever happened on the comedy side) so that is why I’m predicting Ted Danson and Whenever You’re Ready. Plus D’Arcy Carden is a passion pick and she might be the Merritt Wever to Borstein’s Julie Bowen.

Supporting Actor has 5 black actors nominated and I really don’t see them being tone-deaf enough to award a white actor here. I think this is the perfect place to award Ramy and “make-up” for Mahershala Ali’s loss for True Detective.

I think ASP is unbeatable until she is beaten, so that is why I’m predicting her. But again, I have SC in #2 in Series, Actress, and Writing so I can totally see them pulling a “Fleabag” and winning Directing in a shocking way too.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Well out goes midler and in goes maya for snl in my top spot.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I think ASP is unbeatable until she is beaten, so that is why I’m predicting her.

But she has been beaten several times (including DGA)?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Maya Rudolph can absolutely win for SNL. Some people might not understand the significance of Kamala Harris as the Vice President elect, but it’s HUGE. And Maya Rudolph was quite honestly mentioned just as often on Twitter yesterday as Harris herself. I’m not saying she’s definitely winning, but she just got a giant boost. I would assume that Trump supporters within the academy wouldn’t vote for her, but her name + “as Kamala Harris” next to it on the ballot was already enough to tip her over the edge for a nomination — and that was before this historic announcement. I really have a hard time imagining anyone voting for her for The Good Place over SNL now. I’ll still keep Sykes in number 1 for a while, but seeing as though Harris will be in the headlines for the next few months now, I might really have to switch to Rudolph, who anyway has so much heat this year with her three nominations.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Lol Maya winning for her Kamala Harris impression over her clrealy surperior work in The Good Place would be kinda ridiculous, but she deserves to have an Emmy so whatever.

ToWhatEnd

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Rudolph was never winning for The Good Place. As random as these guest winners are, her SNL impression seems quite possible. Sykes became the random frontrunner in our odds, but she doesn’t have enough buzz to gather voters. I was predicting Bassett until yesterday and now I don’t see how voters don’t try to make a political statement with their vote for Rudolph.

Having said that, I’m terrible at predicting the guest categories.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.