Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I would not underestimate Maya winning for playing Kamala in Guest Actress. If we have learned anything under the new system, it’s that the actors just don’t take these guest categories seriously enough to care and reward “the best” performance. They literally gave Margo Martindale TWO Emmys for sipping coffee. Cherry Jones won last year for a cameo. They also tend to reward Supporting Performances that downgrade to Guest, such as Ron Cephas Jones and Samira Wiley, again not caring if they were the best performance in the category (Wiley was the best that year, Jones was not).

Sure they will reward the occasional Alexes Bledel and Melissa McCarthy, but those are usually undeniable performances on shows that sweep that year. There is no such performance in the Comedy Guest Actress category this year.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that in a category that they normally wouldn’t care about, seeing Maya Rudolph as Kamala Harris might suddenly spike interest, and that might be enough. Also, Edie Murphy and Maya Rudolph seem like a good winning pair on the comedy side, so there’s that.

I’m predicting her.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

ToWhatEnd

That reminds me that all the snubs to Kimmy Schmidt Guest Actresses were ugly. I mean Tina Fey made it for her Marcia Clark parody, but missed when she had actual great material and then there’s Maya, Anna Camp, Amy Sedaris, Lisa Kudrow all worthy of nominations.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I swear if I switch from predicting Sykes to Rudolph and then Sykes wins!!!!

I actually think this race is between Rudolph and Sykes with Bassett as a dark horse. Maisel is still immensely popular with the actors branch and the fact they nominated Sykes shows there is passion for her performance and that they got to the end of the season. Plus she’s playing an iconic comedy figure which can only help her as it did with Luke Kirby last year.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I’d like to say, that Marcia Cross parody aged really poorly in an extremely short amount of time. I first saw those episodes after American Crime Story and I couldn’t believe how mean spirited the jokes about Cross were.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdAyJU_XEWg

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just to say lurking Emmy voters that this should be Maya’s year and she’s crazily overdue. You can always reward Wanda next year for Maisel 😉

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

But she has been beaten several times (including DGA)?

Omg you are right. I don’t know why I thought she won last year when mentioning Fleabag winning directing in the same fricking post. Yesterday was a whirlwind of emotions so I blame Joe Biden for my blonde moment.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Obviously this is slightly different because these are the Emmys and those are the Oscars but considering how we talk about how Schitt’s CreekSuccession and Watchmen are passion picks I wonder if they might end up like passion pick Parasite did at the Oscars and just win Series and Writing above the line?

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Obviously this is slightly different because these are the Emmys and those are the Oscars but considering how we talk about how Schitt’s Creek, Succession and Watchmen are passion picks I wonder if they might end up like passion pick Parasite did at the Oscars and just win Series and Writing above the line?

Parasite also won Directing.

And I think it’s also a different scenario because Parasite won 4 of the 6 Oscars it was nominated for but it didn’t pick up any acting noms. Succession, Watchmen and Schitt’s all have several. By that logic, the performances in those shows already have more passion from their respective academy than the performances from Parasite.

Profile picture
    Liam McWhinney
    Topics:

I also think Wanda does not have enough impactful screen-time to win in comparison to other contenders, to be honest.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I don’t know what to do for directing, Schitts isn’t really a big a directors show, Maisel could vote split, Ramy missed Series and Casting, The Great missed series & isn’t winning without winning writing as well which won’t happen. Then Modern Family made a surprise comeback, maybe a farewell award. Then James Burrows is overdue for Will and Grace

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Killing Eve in all categories, HBC, Cicely Tyson, The Crown in directing

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing and directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

FYC OSCARS- Amy Adams

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I don’t know what to do for directing, Schitts isn’t really a big a directors show, Maisel could vote split, Ramy missed Series and Casting, The Great missed series & isn’t winning without winning writing as well which won’t happen. Then Modern Family made a surprise comeback, maybe a farewell award. Then James Burrows is overdue for Will and Grace

Given that records are meant to be broken, it’s also hard not to take history in account.

• No show has won against itself since Glee/Modern Family in 2010-2012.
    • No show has won without a Series nomination since Pushing Daisies in 2008.
    • No show has won without a Casting nomination since Malcolm in The Middle in 2001 (and that was the incumbent winner)

The only nominee that fits all three this year is Schitt’s Creek.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Call me biased but I doubt if Maisel loses it’s because of a vote split. There is a clear standout out of the two episodes and it’s clear voters will vote for Amy Sherman Palladino over Daniel Palladino due to name recognition anyway really.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Given that records are meant to be broken, it’s also hard not to take history in account.

• No show has won against itself since Glee/Modern Family in 2010-2012.
    • No show has won without a Series nomination since Pushing Daisies in 2008.
    • No show has won without a Casting nomination since Malcolm in The Middle in 2001 (and that was the incumbent winner)

The only nominee that fits all three this year is Schitt’s Creek.

To be fair these were all pre 2015 so the wholes rules can be broken thing kind of applies here considering how we can say this year is a litmus test for the new system.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.