Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I don’t know what to do for directing, Schitts isn’t really a big a directors show, Maisel could vote split, Ramy missed Series and Casting, The Great missed series & isn’t winning without winning writing as well which won’t happen. Then Modern Family made a surprise comeback, maybe a farewell award. Then James Burrows is overdue for Will and Grace

James Burrows wouldn’t have been nominated if the rules weren’t changed to force it. I’m confident he’s in 7th place.

Out of the nominees without Casting support, Modern Family is a tempting NGNG pick given how beloved it was by directors.

But it’s probably gonna be “It’s Comedy or Cabbage”. Voters actually watch Maisel and will remember it’s a standout of the season, hence why it was also submitted/nominated in several craft categories.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Moving Maya Rudolph up to #1 in my predictions for “SNL.” I don’t think she will split her vote once voting starts next week. The heat is on for her big time, for obvious reasons.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Should I move Andre Braugher ahead of Alan Arkin? It may have seemed ridiculous to have said this a few days ago but I feel like both have lots of things in favour and against them but I have this feeling we’re underestimating them. I currently have both in 8th and 7th respectively.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Lol Arkin is a Globe-SAG nominee in a series nominee. If someone’s a filler, it’s not him.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

Looking at the submissions for Supporting Actor, if I pretend it’s 2010 and tapes matter the most, damned if I wouldn’t declare Braugher the winner.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Both of which nominations are repeat name-checks. Braugher could be passion pick and affected by the political circumstances.

Which is why an actor portraying a cop won’t win.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Lol Arkin is a Globe-SAG nominee in a series nominee. If someone’s a filler, it’s not him.

We need to remember just how many old farts are still in the Academy.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Finished Schitt’s Creek. Loved it. Rooting for the show, O’Hara, Eugene, Murphy, and Dan (in writing, but I wouldn’t mind an acting victory) to win. Really great ending. The show came a long way from its beginning.

I also wish that Hampshire, Reid, and Milligan also got nods, they were all great this season. Milligan’s ending is the only part of the end I was mixed on. I understand why they did it, and the writing and performances from him and Murphy were great, but in an otherwise fairly light show, it stands out as pretty depressing. Hampshire’s snub is the worst to me since she felt due after her season five snub (personally thought she was even more worthy than Murphy that time).

Won’t write much more, but all in all, a very satisfying and genuinely emotional ending to a lovely show. I’m excited for whatever Dan Levy works on next, whenever that’ll be.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    MKA2017
    Topics:

What are the chances Annie Murphy upsets in Comedy Supporting Actress? I haven’t watched Maisel but I’m surprised Alex Bornstein is still a lock for the win again after she already won this award the past 2 years in a row.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

What are the chances Annie Murphy upsets in Comedy Supporting Actress? I haven’t watched Maisel but I’m surprised Alex Bornstein is still a lock for the win again after she already won this award the past 2 years in a row.

I’m personally iffy about a Schitt’s sweep since season 6 is not available on streaming yet in the US. I think it’s going to Alex Borstein with a Yvonne Orji spoiler. I think lead actress is most likely Schitt’s only acting win. I’m still not sold on Dan Levy but he might get a buzz-win.

Profile picture
    MKA2017
    Topics:

I’m personally iffy about a Schitt’s sweep since season 6 is not available on streaming yet in the US. I think it’s going to Alex Borstein with a Yvonne Orji spoiler. I think lead actress is most likely Schitt’s only acting win.

hmm that’s disappointing, Alexis has always been the most underrated character in the show to me. Annie Murphy absolutely does not get enough credit for adding such unexpected complexity and depth to an initially vapid character. imo  Alexis had the best overall arc and was the lifeblood of the show!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well the thing with Borstein is that she won last year in a crowded field despite fierce opposition and with not that much of a performance. This year she has a HELL of a performance and is in a weaker field. She also got in at SAG despite there being so much competition, won at Critics Choice over critical darling Sian Clifford and Maisel won 2/3 of the awards at SAG this year so it’s natural for one to think that Borstein (and Shalhoub) are quite likely to win.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

I’m personally iffy about a Schitt’s sweep since season 6 is not available on streaming yet in the US.

It’s available at the Pop streaming service for whoever has Pop in their cable subscription. And, of course, available for free for the Academy members at the Viacom website.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Comedy Reactions’ is closed to new replies.