Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: General Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: General Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 181 through 194 (of 194 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Rachel
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I know it’d be risky, but part of me would prefer that they just let the winners know 12 hours in advance so that we can have live speeches in a straightforward manner. I worry about the logistics of having up to 8 nominees connected virtually at once – can you imagine how awkward it would be if someone misheard and reacted too early?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ̶E̶m̶m̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶m̶i̶n̶e̶e̶
    Topics:

Rooting for everyone Emmy less.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

These nominations are something else. It goes to show that people can’t be “know it all” about these things bc at the end of the day anything and everything can happen. Love that the moment played a part with these black nominees. Most are deserving, but I’m not going to be naive and say it was solely about the work. I am right now predicting a decent amount of black winners, but I wouldn’t be surprise if it were business as usual.

The virtual ceremony is expected, but it still sucks as a fan of these things. I think the Daytime Emmys were the best in years (the bar is in hell if you have seen previous ceremonies), so if they follow that blueprint with the resources that they have, it’ll be a great show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    That Don Guy
    Topics:

I know it’d be risky, but part of me would prefer that they just let the winners know 12 hours in advance so that we can have live speeches in a straightforward manner. I worry about the logistics of having up to 8 nominees connected virtually at once – can you imagine how awkward it would be if someone misheard and reacted too early?

If they let the winners know in advance, then they might as well let them pre-record the speeches.

They already let the winners know in advance for the juried awards; does anyone consider those speeches bad? Then again, when was the last time someone who wasn’t actually at the ceremony saw more than 10 seconds of a juried award winner’s speech?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

The snub of Mrs. America in Title Design hurts.

Wow, I missed this!  I was predicting it to win.  They just did not care!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

They might do what Bafta did and have the nominees waiting live, when the winners announced, cut off the losers and go straight to the winner, so there’s no awkwardness

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Sandra Oh & Fiona Shaw, Cicely Tyson

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing & directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

*How the hell were Merritt Wever and Rose Byrne snubbed

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Emmys Will Go Virtual in 2020: “According to insiders, the telecast’s producers are still mulling specifics, including what elements will be live, or if winners will be informed beforehand.”

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/emmys-2020-virtual-jimmy-kimmel-1234720151/

Maggie Smith would still not attend.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

What I think is in dead last in each category:

COMEDY
    Series – Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Lead Actress – Tracee Ellis Ross
    Lead Actor – Anthony Anderson
    Supporting Actress – Marin Hinkle
    Supporting Actor – Sterling K. Brown
    Guest Actress – Bette Midler
    Guest Actor – Brad Pitt
    Writing – What We Do in the Shadows, “Ghosts”
    Directing – Will & Grace, “We Love Lucy”

DRAMA
    Series – Stranger Things
    Lead Actress – Jodie Comer
    Lead Actor – Sterling K. Brown
    Supporting Actress – Samira Wiley
    Supporting Actor – Mark Duplass
    Guest Actress – Harriet Walter
    Guest Actor – Ron Cephas Jones
    Writing – Ozark, “Boss Fight”
    Directing – The Morning Show, “The Interview”

LIMITED
    Series – Unbelievable
    Lead Actress – Octavia Spencer
    Lead Actor – Hugh Jackman
    Supporting Actress – Holland Taylor
    Supporting Actor – Dylan McDermott
    Writing – Mrs. America, “Shirley”
    Directing – Normal People, “Episode 5”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

Yep. There’s pros and cons to it, but I absolutely agree with this plan.

Also, a lot of these international actors may already be in the US for a variety of reasons. Especially those who own property here. So they may just make the trek for precisely that time zone issue.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think they should just do what the BAFTAs did this year and cut off the nominees who lost off the zoom.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TV_Sideliner
    Topics:

I guarantee you that will anger the actors who’ve been begged to “make an effort.”

No offense to the BAFTAS, but the Emmys are waaaaay bigger and cannot afford to make an already awkward situation worse.

People already tweet like mad when awards shows try to play off winners; imagine how much negative social play a Zoom faux pas will get.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I just double checked the numbers for how often the lead, supporting and guest acting winners come from shows not nominated in some sort of Series category. The most we’ve seen since the 67th Emmys is 4/16 twice, but one of those occasions was last year with the two Handmaid’s Tale guest acting wins which was an unusual circumstance. In 2017 we even saw 16/16 winners come from Series nominees.

With contenders like The Morning Show, Ramy and This is Us seemingly poised to do well, is this the year that we see the trend broken? (I’m currently predicting 4: Youssef, Mescal, Scott and Rashad)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Jim Parsons, Billy Porter, Zendaya, Andrew Scott…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I currently have people of colour winning every acting category apart from Drama Actor and Drama Supporting Actress at the moment (which is because I have no idea what to do with each of those categories and realistically anyone apart from Sterling K. Brown can win those). I think we’re underestimating the impact socio-political events may have this year. I remember in 2017 checking up the odds on here and Goldderby wasn’t predicting Handmaid’s to win Series or Supporting Actress and we saw how in 2017 both The Handmaid’s Tale and Big Little Lies were helped (although I still think they would have won something nonetheless) by the socio-political situation following the election of America’s orange misogynistic clown to the White House.

I think I am quite confident in my Limited series predictions and I think the only way I can see it going differently at this very moment (obviously this may change) is either Kerry Washington, Shira Haas or Cate Blanchett instead of Regina King, Jeremy Irons instead of Jeremy Pope, Jean Smart instead of Uzo Aduba, Watchmen instead of Little Fires Everywhere in Directing. With Drama and Comedy you may say I have no idea what I am doing (and in Drama I really would agree with you as outside of Series and Writing literally anyone can win) but I’ve decided to go with my gut here.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 181 through 194 (of 194 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.