Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca Giliberti
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

Poor Blanchett, outacted the fuck out of them all with ease and will be losing, at least it will be to Regina who is so deserving as well, but Kerry above her is just an insult

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whilst I (sadly) think Blanchett is losing to Regina I think there is a possibility we’re jumping to conclusions too soon. After all voting hasn’t even begun yet and won’t begin until August 21st.

As much as I idolise Gloria Steinem for all she did for the feminist movement and all her campaigning to ratify the ERA it’s worth baring in mind that it is not as if she has that much influence to stop Cate Blanchett from winning an Emmy. After all it’s not as if she hasn’t gotten herself into controversy recently :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53330105

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

This controversy certainly does not help Blanchett, but it is just one of a variety of reasons to doubt her.

Profile picture
    Mladen
    Topics:

Whilst I (sadly) think Blanchett is losing to Regina I think there is a possibility we’re jumping to conclusions too soon. After all voting hasn’t even begun yet and won’t begin until August 21st.

As much as I idolise Gloria Steinem for all she did for the feminist movement and all her campaigning to ratify the ERA it’s worth baring in mind that it is not as if she has that much influence to stop Cate Blanchett from winning an Emmy. After all it’s not as if she hasn’t gotten herself into controversy recently :

That is true perhaps. But the timing of this article is unquestionable. I understand Ms Steinem’s sentiment regarding this, but to flatly said that what so many amazing women have done (which includes Elizabeth Banks showing us the face of Republican feminist Jill Ruckleshaus, thus showing us how bipartisan the movement once was, Uzo Aduba playing the amazing Shirley Chisholm and her struggle to do the right thing) as something that is “bad for American women” is deeply hurtful. I have watched the interviews many of the Mrs America cast members gave and I honestly thought it would be the most inspiring “women power” story.

Is Ms Steinem wrong? Probably not. But if she wanted to say that “Mrs America” painted the picture of feminists in 1970s which also includes her, as catty, this article proved that apparently they were.

This article, published two days after the nominations were announced is honestly, a profoundly sad story about some women having the power to hurt other women.

I will cheer for Ms Blanchett because I do believe she deserved it. And while I do understand that taste is subjective and some may disagree with me, I find her work unquestionably the best performance in any category this year. By a long shot. That apple pie scene should be taught in acting schools.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree.

I still think it’s too early to jump to conclusions. I mean after all as I said there is still a while to go before nominations and I feel like whether it’s with Evan Rachel Wood’s tone deaf comments on Kobe Bryant (which I blame myself for reading too much into) or Jodie Comer dating a Trump supporter (was that even true) that we read too much into these things sometimes.

I have Blanchett in 2nd but if King wins TCA then I will probably drop Blanchett below Haas. If Blanchett wins TCA then I’ll put her first but if neither do (I’m currently predicting either Rhea Seehorn or Jeremy Strong) then I probably won’t change my prediction of King winning.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Blanchett might even be 4th. Kerry is thespian for blacks. And she’s baity as it can get in LFE. And she’s getting overdue. I won’t dare to consider Spencer above Blanchett. Let’s be realistic lol.

Kerry is thespian for blacks. What do you mean by this?

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Steinem will always be a controversial figure. But when the real people involved in a fictive work actively cite grievances with it, that’s not something to just easily sweep under the rug. It’s an issue that’s not going away. People can read and have long memories. See Arnold, Andrea.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

The way Adepo would have easily and deservingly won Guest Actor had Watchmen went Drama

Profile picture
    leothescorpio
    Topics:

Yeah, it feels like Blanchett is 4th at best imo. Regina is winning (deservedly so).. Haas is second; could benefit from passion votes. Washington is beloved enough and gave a career best in LFE. Blanchett’s character is unlikable and her show underperformed. Ocslayvia is #5, the nomination is the win for her.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Please be less problematic.

Profile picture
    Mladen
    Topics:

I am having “Blue Jasmine” flashbacks here with Dylan Farrow’s letter naming Blanchett.

I have said it. Blanchett was absolutely amazing in the role of Phyllis and as much as I like Regina and she truly did great work, I can’t even consider it above Blanchett’s. As for Washington and Spencer… Comparing those two performances to Blanchett’s (and in many ways, King’s) is a joke.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I didn’t realize how much of a The Leftovers reunion we are having this year. Damon Lindelof, Regina King, Jovan Adepo, Mimi Leder… Heck, even Justin Theroux is nominated for producing this year! A shame that Ann Dowd was snubbed.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Lol at people thinking 2x Oscar Winner Cate Blanchett is 4th

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Sandra Oh & Fiona Shaw, Cicely Tyson

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing & directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

*How the hell were Merritt Wever and Rose Byrne snubbed

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I don’t have her in 4th, but being a two-time Oscar winner hardly helps her, especially when King and Spencer are both Oscar winners as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions’ is closed to new replies.