Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 495 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Watchmen practically maxing out and Mrs America underperforming definitely turned the tides. The narrative of a black female superhero who fights white supremacists VS a conniving conservative white woman definitely also shouldn’t be ignored considering what’s currently happening in the US

I have Regina winning but still think it’s a close race tho

The point is that it was always a close race with Regina arguably out in front. Prior to nominations you wouldn’t have thought that reading the ‘Blanchett is locked’ comments in the limited threads.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

People’s opinions and predictions change all the time when new information is presented to them, re: Emmy nominations. It’s not uncommon, nor is it rocket science.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

People’s opinions and predictions change all the time when new information is presented to them, re: Emmy nominations. It’s not uncommon, nor is it rocket science.

Completely agree – for example I thought Pelphrey and McTeer were locks, and the nominations have made me change my outlook on Ozark in the acting categories. However, those snubs were genuine surprises given Ozark’s popularity and upward trend in acting. Mrs America has always been an arguably ahistorical, niche show with low viewership up against the show of the year, and Blanchett is playing an unsympathetic character (despite the show’s efforts to humanise her). She was never a lock and I’m glad people are realising that now.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I completely agree. And people are pretending as though Little Fires exploded when it kind of didn’t. It got 5 nominations, which almost seems like the bare minimum to be honest.

And people are also forgetting that Little Fires Everywhere missed out on a VERY EASY nomination for Reese Witherspoon. I can see Haas being 1st or 2nd because after all her show didn’t really need to get anyone who wasn’t her in and Blanchett’s show missed for Byrne and Slattery but I mean missing for your A list co-lead is far more damaging imo then missing one or two supporting actresses when you got five in and missing for someone’s cameo essentially.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

With only five slots the Witherspoon nomination potential was not “very easy”.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Reese was most likely #6 anyway, unless it was Daisy.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Reese had to be #6.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

This Gossett conversation reminds me of Michael Kenneth Williams last year.

I thought the same thing but then I realised there is a HUGE difference in this year from last year with the BLM movement having become so much more amplified.

We already saw this materialise in nominations and I’m fairly confident we will see this materialise in wins as well.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Mrs. America obviously underperformed, but it did still get a Directing nomination, and 4 acting nominations. I think the writing snubs we’re probably due to their terrible submissions.

King is ahead but Blanchett is very much in this race

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Mrs. America obviously underperformed, but it did still get a Directing nomination, and 4 acting nominations. I think the writing snubs we’re probably due to their terrible submissions.

King is ahead but Blanchett is very much in this race

No they actually still got a Writing nomination but didn’t get a Directing nomination.

I agree with everything else you said though.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I think it was Reese, then the two “Unbelievable” ladies, Wever & Dever (no pun intended).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Really? I think Daisy Edgar-Jones was very close to a nomination. Her show more or less got in everywhere it needed to get into barring Lead Actress and Limited Series. I mean it even got into Casting over Little Fires Everywhere which makes me think there was more support for Normal People across the board than Little Fires Everywhere.

Also Reese should have easily gotten in over Octavia Spencer. Yes there were 5 slots but if Kerry could get in and the show could get into Series and Directing I don’t see why Reese couldn’t have gotten in. Especially considering she was literally at the top of the ballot for a lot of voters.

With regards to Blanchett and Mrs. America could it be that it’s done what Veep did last year? Under-performing in acting and getting shut out of directing resulting in it being lower than the priority list for voters in wins?

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Yes, really.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions’ is closed to new replies.