Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 497 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Yes, really.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I agree that Collette isn’t done, but your reasoning makes little sense. Firstly, Patricia Clarkson just showed us last year that being a SAG nominee isn’t the be-all and end-all, and secondly, four of the six nominees haven’t even competed at SAG yet.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    leothescorpio
    Topics:

I’ve had Yahya Abdul-Mateen II winning even before he was added to the prediction center, similarly to my Asante Blackk prediction last year…and I really hope I am not wrong this year, because I rewatched Watchmen today and what Abdul-Mateen II does in A God Walks Into Abar is breathtaking. Every single moment. I also realized there is no reason why Irons and King wouldn’t submit that episode too and even though episodes don’t matter anymore, the visibility would surely help Abdul-Mateen II.

Vote-splitting will obviously factor in, but it also feels like (at least I hope) Watchmen is head and shoulders above everything else that it’s not impossible for Yahya to get the win here. Please, Emmy Gods!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

why Irons and King wouldn’t submit that episode too and even though episodes don’t matter anymore

Limited Series/TV Movie leads don’t submit episodes :/ I am keeping my fingers crossed with you!

Profile picture
    leothescorpio
    Topics:

Forgot about that, lol. Ugh watched the finale and Gossett Jr.’s scene in the theatre broke me. Lmao. His generational black trauma arc is such a strong one too. “You can’t heal under a mask; wounds need air” . Watch it be Burgess…which wouldn’t be a bad win, but a few years too late.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Gossett Jr. truly brought it home in the finale. He was also amazing in his scenes in “This Extraordinary Being”! It would be very difficult for me to choose between the three men because, as you pointed out, Abdul-Mateen had such a fantastic episode in “A God Walks into Abar” (I didn’t expect it to be so emotionally-draining”), and then there’s Jovan Adepo, who carries “This Extraordinary Being” on his shoulders. I am fully preparing for a vote-split. I have Jim Parsons in #1 because Hollywood did very well in the acting races, and I don’t think McDermott will siphon any votes. It’s not the outcome I desire, but it’s what I am preparing for.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Also Reese should have easily gotten in over Octavia Spencer. Yes there were 5 slots but if Kerry could get in and the show could get into Series and Directing I don’t see why Reese couldn’t have gotten in. Especially considering she was literally at the top of the ballot for a lot of voters.

And she was right next to Washington on the ballot, it was clearly an active choice to pick Kerry and not Reese.

Limited1

Profile picture
    leothescorpio
    Topics:

And if older voters blinked they could have clicked on American Son. Kerry lowkey overcame cancelling herself out too. Love that for her

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And she was right next to Washington on the ballot, it was clearly an active choice to pick Kerry and not Reese.

Limited1

Agreed this makes me cautious about having Kerry above Blanchett.

I actually just started the show today. The music supervision is weird (and I actually like and listen to some of the songs used in “The Spark” in real life LMAO) but I thought Kerry and Reese were excellent. The writing is ok so far. Bit interesting, bit boring.

I think I’ll keep it fourth (Unbelievable is highly likely to be last like Sharp Objects was last year) but I think I am going to move Unorthodox up to second. That directing snub was quite damning for Mrs. America when it managed to get into Writing with multiple submissions too which makes me think it was a deliberate directing snub. It’s not like the situation with something like Insecure where you could say the directing support could be there but they got in trouble with their episodes splitting, it’s more like with Killing Eve where considering the latter’s history with the writers branch there should be no reason it should have missed (especially considering it submitted the same number episodes of Ozark and Ozark got all their episodes in over it despite previous shut outs).

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I love Washington but there’s no way she is ahead of Blanchett. I think people are getting a bit carried away with Mrs America’s underperformance – it still got four acting nods after all. I have King first but wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Blanchett take this

Oh, I think that the snubs for Mrs. America were very telling. The actors not getting to IMDb-consensus-standout “Houston” is one thing, but the writers’ branch is normally discerning and even they snubbed it. The directors snubbed the big names on the finale. The editors only nominated the pilot. They did not finish the show and I do not think that they have any intention. The Emmys have been moving away from more traditionally prestigious fare toward water-cooler shows. Forgetting the competition, I just do not see Cate Blanchett having passion, not to mention the issue of various optics, none of which benefit her. Kerry Washington on the other hand is someone for whom the academy has demonstrated a previous irrational love and not only is this her best performance, but it also came in a banner year for her, so I can see a path for her. I question how much the one for Blanchett is really there. I feel like her only card is the movie-star-coming-to-television one, which we know is not really a thing anymore.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Limited1

You realize Reese might have missed by just like one vote, though

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Are you thinking that Spencer was ahead of Washington then?

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Maybe it sounds miniscule, but Reese, excellent as she was, played a very unlikable, prejudiced character. Kerry’s character was flawed but there was an empathetic angle towards her and given that she has better Emmy history, voters naturally gravitated more towards checking her name off and not Reese’s.

I think that could also be a reason for why Blanchett is losing; Phyllis Schlafly is an extremely unlikable woman with right-wing views. She’s not a force of nature like Margaret Thatcher or Winston Churchill so that doesn’t give Blanchett enough for a tyrannical performance to the point where she would be seen as undeniable. She’s also not a well-regarded figure, more of a Dick Cheney or Sarah Palin, which Julianne Moore won the Emmy for but she had virtually no competition. She may have the biggest status of the five nominees, but her being an Oscar winner doesn’t necessarily benefit her when Regina and Octavia are also Oscar winners.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 497 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions’ is closed to new replies.